Anyone here live in a mobile home?

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Anyone here live in a mobile home?

Post by Speeder »

'm about to be moving into one, and my current homeowner/rental insurance company doesn't cover mobiles. I'm wondering who here lives in a mobile, who you use for insurance and whether you recommend them. Thanks in advance.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Can't help you with insurances but I had friends who lived in them in well kept trailer districts (10k sq-ft size lots) (not the stereotype trailer trash you see on TV)

And once inside, you couldn't really tell you were in one if it wasn't for the lack of space. Similar to living in an apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsuwNfRU_8
Last edited by CrazyHoe on Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

battmain

Post by battmain »

Didn't quite make it to the living in part, but when I looked into it a while back, it was covered under auto insurance. Now they're tacking on Windstorm coverage. It is possible they may consider a 'Manufactured' home in a different class. Those are basically the same, except without the wheels.

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

OK thanks folks, appreciate it.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

A mobile home doesn't finance the same way a stickbuilt home will.

Doors are smaller. Fixtures and switches and stuff are usually different. Molding is used to cover the corners and such of walls, the seam of a double wide. I looked at a few, even saw one that had several additions made, it wasn't until I was under it that I saw the steel frame in the middle, and we measured the doors and found discrepancies in sizes that we figured out it started life as a mobile home. Then it raised questions of financing, because since it has multiple sections, is it still a mobile home or not?

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Depends on the bank and the builder. Solitaire, who I'm going with, has what look like standard sized doors although they have larger than usual gaps at the bottom, or vents in the door, to make sure air circulation is present. The bank I'm using is giving me 30 years at whatever the going rate is. When I first discussed it with them, it was 3.75 percent. What it will be will depend on the rate at the time of finance. We're on a construction loan now.