The pituitary gland .........

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

Locked
stroker97k1500
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Macon Ga., 94Toyota truck with LSX stuff

The pituitary gland .........

Post by stroker97k1500 »

How common is it to have a small tumor on your pituitary gland? I am getting tested for this here soon but was curious if anyone (or Pauly) knew how common this could be. Supposedly this little gland controls a lot of stuff

CrazyHoe
Posts: 6228
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »


stroker97k1500
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Macon Ga., 94Toyota truck with LSX stuff

Post by stroker97k1500 »

Thanks man, it's no biggie really I think Ill be just fine though. I have just never even heard of this little guy before until today.

z71gmc06
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by z71gmc06 »

Good luck with it.

I hope it is nothing.

Hog
Posts: 5025
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

Post by Hog »

Just watched a show on this yesterday. The pituitary is in direct or partial control of many of the body's metabolic processes. The gland is located between the eyes when viewed from the front, and about the centeres of the temples when viewed from the side.
Most of these lesions are found by accident, and not from typical signs or symptoms.

Bottom line, to alleviate some worries, only a small percentage of these approx. (0.1-0.2%) of all lesions are cancerous.

A rough round number for the average occurence is 1 in 1000 of an average North American population. For every 1000 people, on average 1 person with have a growth on or within their pituitary gland.

Obviously, follow your medical professionals advice, prognosis on average is good. This is something that can be serious, but if 1 of my family members was diagnosed with such a growth, it's not something to be grossly concerned about unless diagnostics indicate otherwise.

It really is amazing how many little growths there can be in the human body, from kidney stones to tumours, lumps or masses, they key is to differentiate those that can cause issues, to those that are harmless.

peace
Hog

Speeder
Posts: 10763
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 1999 9:12 pm
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

It's also amazing how fast something can blow up. For example, my wife was admitted to the hospital today. She's going to have her gall bladder removed tomorrow, doc said it's a hot one. She'll be in the hospital until Monday as a result, possibly longer if they have to cut her open instead of doing it laparoscopically. Before she doubled over in pain early Tuesday morning, she was fine on this front. The ultrasound showed the walls to be thickened and it's full of stones.

Well, back to the hospital, I was just in long enough for some dinner.

stroker97k1500
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Macon Ga., 94Toyota truck with LSX stuff

Post by stroker97k1500 »

Speeder wrote:It's also amazing how fast something can blow up. For example, my wife was admitted to the hospital today. She's going to have her gall bladder removed tomorrow, doc said it's a hot one. She'll be in the hospital until Monday as a result, possibly longer if they have to cut her open instead of doing it laparoscopically. Before she doubled over in pain early Tuesday morning, she was fine on this front. The ultrasound showed the walls to be thickened and it's full of stones.

Well, back to the hospital, I was just in long enough for some dinner.
Man I hope she will be ok soon. My dad's skin ad eyes turned yellow and the gall bladder was full of stones and bile duct was blocked. The surgery removed the gall bladder and it went very well so I have faith they will fix her up for you.

Thanks for the info Hog

Speeder
Posts: 10763
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 1999 9:12 pm
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Sorry about jacking the thread.

She had her surgery today. The gall bladder is normally the size of your pinkie, but the doc said hers was about the size of a grapefruit and was full of stones. I'm assuming that it got this bad undetected because of the pain medication she's on. Anyway, it's out and she's already feeling tons better. Thanks for the sympathy, and here's hoping the tests show the pituitary gland problem as benign.

stroker97k1500
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Macon Ga., 94Toyota truck with LSX stuff

Post by stroker97k1500 »

Speeder wrote:Sorry about jacking the thread.

She had her surgery today. The gall bladder is normally the size of your pinkie, but the doc said hers was about the size of a grapefruit and was full of stones. I'm assuming that it got this bad undetected because of the pain medication she's on. Anyway, it's out and she's already feeling tons better. Thanks for the sympathy, and here's hoping the tests show the pituitary gland problem as benign.
No worries. We all are family here. I Really hope she feels better soon!.

Speeder
Posts: 10763
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 1999 9:12 pm
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

She does feel better. She's already back home hitting me with her cane.

CrazyHoe
Posts: 6228
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

I"m happy to hear that Jim.
Your wife getting better of course. ;)

97k15004wd
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:32 pm
Location: Waikikamukau

Post by 97k15004wd »

CrazyHoe wrote:I"m happy to hear that Jim.
Your wife getting better of course. ;)
LOL!!!!

CrazyHoe
Posts: 6228
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

:D

Speeder
Posts: 10763
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 1999 9:12 pm
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Here we are, the happy couple...

Image

Locked