Finally got another truck 2k silvy,my first LS

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

playtoy_18

Finally got another truck 2k silvy,my first LS

Post by playtoy_18 »

Well,i've had a couple trucks since my Yukon but didn't mod any of them.
This one will definately get a few mods,though it is a work truck.
Been looking while saving cash the past few months,and within my cheap old bastard standards it was near impossible.
I wanted 99 or newer,V8 and preferably extended cab. Didn't care about body,just that the drivetrain would carry it for work duty for at least 6mos.

Basically I need a truck for hauling parts,pulling trailers etc.. But after messing with so many LS's tune/diag wise and now swapping/building I needed more play time for experimenting with the platform. I try not to practice on other peoples rides.

Anyway,got a text late last night from a buddy and checked a new craigslist ad. He came by this morning and we went to look and I bought it while there.

2000 2wd,5.3,auto,234k miles-haven't checked RPO codes but i'll see what it has when I get a chance.
The ad said $2500 firm,I talked him down to $2200 and he left me two drive on ramps,jumper cables,two almost new tires and a FULL 2 gallon jug of gas in the bed.
It's dirty as hell and I smelled piss all the way home with it but for the money I think it's worth it so far.
I did test drive and plug in to it before waving $100 bills.

Just got home,gotta go get insurance paper and go to tag agent. Haven't really had a chance to look thru it but between the filth I saw a very clean engine bay and alot of new parts.
It fits my bill perfectly and then some for the money I wanted to spend.

stroker97k1500

Post by stroker97k1500 »

Nice score

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Congrats. A 4L80E makes a nice mod.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

It was obviously wrecked in front,but looked like some good work redoing the rad support and the frame horns weren't bent so couldn't have been bad.
Runs awesome,no way this thing has 234k on motor.
I've had years of experience under hoods,and I would say everything from the coils up as well as the waterpump can't have more than a couple thousand miles on them.
I suspect when it was wrecked they put a new engine in it maybe,i'll find out when I do my initial tune up.
I have a list of stuff I do to get a baseline for maintenance when I get a new vehicle,and i'm pretty thorough.

Mods are basically bolt-ons and whatever I can get cheap/free (hey,people have given me cams and cool stuff!)
The point though is to just make an ultimate work truck,I travel for diag,wiring and programming work to other shops and peoples garages sometimes.

All mods will just be for mileage,some torque,useability and comfort-not gonna make a monster.
Got everything to do efans,so that's first-when I get time i'll build an intake.
I'll cut the cats off and sell them to fund a good freer flowing muffler,and then go ahead and give it a tune.
That should work for the moment,till I figure out what parts people have laying around that owe me a favor.
Also right off the bat i'm gonna do the 4hi mod and a stereo.
I got a couple sweet JL audio subs in trade for some work,and hit the motherlode of door speakers at the pick and pull the other day.
Just need a couple amps to power it all (and a better head unit,this walmart special sucks).

z71gmc06

Post by z71gmc06 »

Looks good. I think you will like it. Don't be afraid of rpm's, ls engines like them more than the old vortecs.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Well,had a couples days to drive the heck out of it and must say I think I did well.

I've been running Torque while running around getting scrap hauled and cores returned etc.. Went back and forth to Fort smith a few times (30mdrive) and averaging around 18-20mpg according to torque.

I did think it was a bit quick so checked and sure enough found RPO GT4 for 3.73 gears.

Here in a few minutes i'm going to go out and pull the door panels and have wife clean them up while I install a pair of JLaudio 6.5" 2ways in the doors. If I have time i'll put the Infinity 6.5's 2ways I have in the back,me and a buddy figured out where to cut to install them.
Gotta hear all the intricate background details of my ted talks,podcasts etc.. lol.

After that i'll go ahead and do the 4hi mod.
Downloaded the diagram last night to decide how I wanted to do it,and after seeing I could simply ground the dims for constant with switch on figured I would just do that instead of a relay. Either that or a relay between the circuits if I wanna keep the original circuit functioning the same.

I figure for about $500 I could replace the bed,pass door,grill and bumpers. That would make it look new again and easily worth the ($2200 buy+$500parts + $200tag = $2900) money I had into it.
Still need to pull a .bin and tune it,been watching torque but haven't recorded any logs yet.

I need to dig thru my box'o harnesses and find the correct pin/terminal/color to do the fans as well. I keep 15-16" fans laying around just for stuff like this (pull them from cars I scrap) and have at least one 5.3 harness laying in my box'o harnesses so should have everything needed.

Jim,I've owned too many 4L60's to not already be on the lookout for 4l80 swap stuff if it's gonna be a real truck! Lol.

Z71,i'm getting wierd in my old age,anymore the only time I blow out the carbon is when getting on the interstate or if i'm in my pontiac. The rest of the time the rpm's never see 3500 probably.

I like it.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Hey,I also have a question.
What is the function of the bulb on the bottom inside?
Both of the lamps below headlights I assumed were park/turn.
However while replacing the bulbs and doing a bulb check neither of the lower inside bulbs lit up while turning on hazards,turn,park,headlight or even daytime running lights.
Looked at diagram real quick but didn't remember wiring colors.

Figured they were park lamps because it is clear lense and had clear bulb. If turn they would have to be amber like the outside were.

Not sure what's up,anybody know what they are so I can diag them?

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

They should be daytime runners. It might have to be in gear for them to come on.

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Cool. I still have that 4L60E to 4L80E harness conversion thing if you want it, but just repining the connector is the better way to go. The adapter takes a lot of room right where you don't have any. All you need then is the front speed sensor, which you can probably get from the dealer or from a you-pull-em salvage yard if you can find one. The main wiring plug is the exact same on both transmissions, just wired a bit differently inside.

Your best bet for the trans cooler lines will be the dealer, where you can get all three lines to install the cooling lines with a trans cooler for less than 50 bucks (at least that's what it cost me when I did mine). I would recommend going with an aftermarket cooling unit though, as the factory cooler is a tiny little thing that costs a mint.

You seem competent enough to rebuild your own transmission, I'd suggest that when you get your 4L80E you pony up the bucks for the low gearset like I put in mine. WELL worth the money, I'd do it again at twice the price. The 4L80E stock takes off in first like a 4L60E in second, so it'll feel really slow on takeoff. The low gearset returns that low end acceleration without the 1-2 shift being quite as wide as the 4LPOS60E is. Originally I wanted the 2.95 1st but after running the 2.75 for a while I think I'm happy with the one I have. And, you know I'm not the sort who says whatever I have is the best, if something other than what I have would be better I'm the first to say I chose wrong.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Hey Jim,guess you haven't heard yet. Robert's salvage in Moffet opened a pullapart yard just under the garrison bridge across from stockyards in Moffett.

So far i've logged several hours already in only 4 trips :evil:
Last time I went for a $14 starter and by the time I left the bill was over $200 (ecm/memcals and speakers 8) )
That's the reason for the $500 repair tag on the body,i'll watch out for painted parts and grab them. A bed is only $149!
The people that work there already treat me as a regular,stopped by today for a core-it's a nice place and wouldn't surprise me if I stop by once a week.

As far as harness I've got enough partial/full harnesses laying around I should have everything to put harness together but i'll keep it in mind thanks.

Whipped,I thought the drl's were one of the headlights-at least I think those are what came on when it is koeo with headlights off. Never checked in gear,thanks. On my 97 it was just the low beams I thought,assumed this was same but now that i'm thinking the diagram did show a seperate circuit/bulb I think. I'll look it back over.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

I've got a 30g portable compressor and all the tools to make quick work of stuff,now I got a truck :)

http://robertspullapart.com/price.shtml

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

The DRL should be a seperate bulb, lower lense towards the inside. You may have an ambient light sensor on your dash that turns the low beams on if its not so sunny out automatically

Pro

Post by Pro »

why come not get TBIâ„¢

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Nice! I'll let my dad and brother know, no idea if they know about it or not. I know my brother needs a console for his Durbango that he wants to sell.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Hey Pro,I sold the TBIâ„¢ powered lawnmower to buy the LS truck :evil:

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Had a few minutes while degassing parts so decided to install front door speakers.
Ended up pulling entire interior,bolting driver seat in and going up to car wash and pressure washing the carpet and all the interior panels.
When Autozone opens up gonna pick up some TuffStuff and see if I can conjole wife into using attachment on her carpet shampooer to clean the seats.

Also need to stop by brother in laws stereo shop and pick up some sound deadener.
I can't hear real well,especially with any background noise. So generally I sound deaden the interior of all our cars we intend to keep around. It helps so I don't have to jack the radio real loud and can hear people talking over any noise in cab without issues as well as possibly talk on the phone if windows are up.

stroker97k1500

Post by stroker97k1500 »

playtoy_18 wrote:I've got a 30g portable compressor and all the tools to make quick work of stuff,now I got a truck :)

http://robertspullapart.com/price.shtml
I wish we had a place like that near me! The yards are too commercialized and off limits around me

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

I wish I could stop overdoing things.
Stopped and picked up 100 sqft of deadener mat from my brother in law,while I was there had him order me an underseat box for the two 12" JLaudio's i've got laying around.
Went ahead and grabbed 3 sets of RCA's and 50ft of 12g speakercable as well as connectors.
Figured I might as well run everything though i won't be putting any amps in it for a few weeks.

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

You will probably need more than 50 feet of stereo cable for an extended cab with lots of speakers. I did my regular cab with two fronts and two rears only, and had less than 8 feet of cable left out of a 50 foot roll. The sub used an RCA cable, no speaker cable for the sub at all.

There's also plenty of room to route the speaker wires up the sides of the dash. On the driver's side it just runs into a large cavity behind the instrument cluster, and on the passenger side there's a convenient bar that runs behind the glove box you can lash the wires to. I also ran the power and RCA cables for the sub alongside the center hump, power on the driver's side and RCA on the passenger side. There's a heavy duty mat you can run them under at the front of the floor. Just have to notch it for the wires to pass under, then it's no problem to snake the wire under that rubber pad with the foam underneath.

One thing on the soundproofing, the carpeting is a pretty tight fit on the floor. I used hardwood floor underlay for insulation on the truck, and the carpet no longer quite fits even though it's only a quarter inch thick. No idea how the stuff works yet though, I've not taken it on a drive since the install.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Cool Jim,you're on my wavelength.

I'm running the speaker cables/rca's etc directly from speaker/radio to the back where amps will be.
Right now it has a cheap $40 walmart special from 15 years ago in it,so for now staying with stock wiring. All i'm running now is foundation,then i'll put the amps/stereo in at the same time and go into the doors and unplug/plugin speakers.
I'm running from the doors to center and running straight back with the RCA's in tow,the rears (cutting for 6.5's) will just come out and to center/rear of cab.
Still not sure how i'll run power,whichever way is easiest likely. A 2nd battery is likely and it will all be changed then.

I knew that regular carpet padding would be too thick in some places and was trying to think of where I can find a nice dense foam that was thinner.
I didn't know flooring used an underlay,there is a place right up the street that we had do carpet/tile when we remodeled lake house a couple years ago. I've been meaning to stop in and price wood floors for our place,i'll see what they've got.
Anything else you can think of?
I was going to try and put a little of the carpet padding on the body panels using spray adhesive,as well as behind a couple interior panels.

I've got to hit the Fort tomorrow for some stuff,gonna stop by lowes and maybe a couple other places to get some ideas.
In the past I generally have laid down mat in large areas,then sprayed over that with rubberized sound deadener and used carpet padding under the trunk carpet and sometimes a patch here and there behind an interior panel.
Brandy's Impala has mat with spray,my fiero interior hasn't been done yet but the gas tank has several large pieces of mat and sprayed to deaden the pump whine.

What about thick rubber? Hell i've got enough rubber floormats to cover the floorboard probably. And the cheap ones at AZ are only 9.99 for two front and the big rear piece I think.

To be clear,this is much less for great music or stereo and much more for cadillac quiet cab. I got the speakers for $4.99 apiece from the pullapart,and the subs in trade for deleting VATS from a swap. I've got more money in the dynamat and cables than in anything else.