2002 Malibu problem... UNSOLVED!!!!

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

2002 Malibu problem... UNSOLVED!!!!

Post by Speeder »

Hey guys, off topic but...

2002 Malibu V6, cranks, catches for a half second, then dies. Won't run. At the same time, the fuel gauge and power door locks stopped working. The book recommended replacing the ignition switch, which I did, no good. Needed to do that anyway due to the theftlock issue, which apparently also is not the issue since the relearn doesn't work although I do need to do the relearn again with the new switch.

Any other ideas what might be causing this? Thanks. This is my daughter's bucket of crap and I want to try and keep it going until she finishes college. After that, she can get a new car.
Last edited by Speeder on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

z71gmc06

Post by z71gmc06 »

Did you try unplugging the MAF sensor. I have seen a bad one cause those symptoms.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Cycle the key several times then see if it starts,restricted fuel system will do similar.
If you're having theftlock issues bring/send me the pcm and i'll turn it off if you need.

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

FAST.

Fuel filter, fuel pump. Got a fuel pressure gauge? See if you get nominal pressure and flow.
MAF. Collapsed filter?
Spark - anti-theft turning off ignition? Weak coil maybe? How do the plugs look?
Timing could be off but no backfires, right?

I'm kinda leaning towards the anti-theft right now, except it doesn't run long enough for that it seems?

Thinking out loud.......

HAYWIRE

Post by HAYWIRE »

Some of the chevy v6s had issues with the harmonic balancer rubber slipping and causing the pickup for the crank sensor to move

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

HAYWIRE wrote:Some of the chevy v6s had issues with the harmonic balancer rubber slipping and causing the pickup for the crank sensor to move
Wow, now that's an odd one to troubleshoot for. I have seen a few things over the years, but that is an interesting one for sure!

stroker97k1500

Post by stroker97k1500 »

Are the side post connections on the battery (including the crush washer) clean and tight?

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

It'll run for 2 seconds or so, then die. I need to pick up a fuel pressure gauge, will get a fuel filter and air filter at the same time. I installed a new switch assembly with a new tumbler assembly, and did both the 10 minute reset and the 30 minute reset, no effect. There is no crush washer issue, as one of the first things I do on a GM product anymore is remove that pending disaster first thing :lol: . I also unplugged the MAF, no effect.

I'll report back after I do the fuel pressure gauge thing. I'm kinda leaning this way now as my daughter likes running the fuel tank on empty. If this is the case she's going to pay for the fuel pump because I've warned her repeatedly about running less than a quarter tank.

On the wandering harmonic balancer, what would I see during the short run time? It runs smooth, it just dies about 2-3 seconds into it. [/list]

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

playtoy_18 wrote:Cycle the key several times then see if it starts,restricted fuel system will do similar.
If you're having theftlock issues bring/send me the pcm and i'll turn it off if you need.
Hey man, this may be the issue. I pulled the codes with my EFI Live and it's showing a P1626. What exactly do you need me to pull out, the actual PCM or the BCM? I'm going to be in Fort Smith tomorrow, and I could perhaps drop in sometime tomorrow.

HAYWIRE

Post by HAYWIRE »

If the balancer has slipped it won't run the crank sensor gets damaged....some of the older fwd pontiacs had a ground issue. Engineers had a ground strap for the pcm in the drivers kick panel and it usually turns green with corrosion here with the Canadian winter road salt

stroker97k1500

Post by stroker97k1500 »

Sounds like a the ECM/PCM is no getting the signal to keep the fuel system alive like a vats related issue or similar

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Pm'ed,stop by and we can pull it from PCM.
It'll work or it won't,I can guarentee that.

I've also got enough spare used control modules and coils here to send you home with some good OEM stuff,as well as MAF's probably. Bring pics/part numbers and we'll dig thru my crates.
I've been collecting 60* and 3800 stuff ever since I got the first fiero,always good to have options so I have plenty of spare "mockup" parts between fiero swaps and Impala L67 swaps i've built or finished.

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

I dropped in to see Playtoy in his most lovely to me but too small to him garage, and he disabled the Craplock system in the Malibu's PCM. Fast forward to 20 minutes ago, I slapped it in and it cranked right up. I'll have to pull the lightbulb from the gauge cluster since the THEFT light now stays on, but that's OK because it doesn't work anymore. Thanks much for that.

As soon as I find that high amp alternator I had made for the S10 I'll drop it in along with the coils and ignition pack you kindly gave me.

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

I need to buy tunercats so I can do that Im sick of GM passlock on cars and my EFIlive not being able to disable them

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

Awesome!!

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Man talk about a garbage car. After Ed (Playtoy18) did his thing with the PCM, the BCM crapped out! None of the BCM functions work now. Pulled the BCM open, and found that the circuit board has corrosion all over it, and some of the traces are damaged. Looks like a combination of overheating and water condensation inside the plastic box, conveniently located right over the passenger front floor vent. Going to order a new BCM for it, and get one of the local dealers to reprogram it hopefully not reactivating the Theftlock that Ed did. Just in case they do I think I'm going to do the resistor trick before I take it in so they don't try and tell me I need a new key assembly.

Once this car is running again and everything is working, it's going up for sale. Tired of dealing with it, this car has been an electrical nightmare since I bought it and after cruising the internet it seems that this is par for the course with the Malibu. If the BCM replacement DOESN'T fix it, then I'm selling it for parts.

Anyway thanks again for helping Ed. Next time I come down I'll drop those ignition parts back by you, along with the alternator I promised.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Hurricane car?

A friend of mine owned several Malibu s. Loves them.

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Nah, local job but apparently ONLY the 2002 is an electrical nightmare. Her last Malibu was a great little car that never had a problem until she dropped it off a 40-50 foot cliff one day.

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

Wife drives an 03 alero basically same car and had 0 issues other than fuel pumps and intake gaskets.

I have ran into corroded BCMs on these cars myself. Junkyard or cardone units work fine and have had no return problems with them. The anti theft on these cars is a nightmare.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

On passlock it isn't as simple as a resistor pretty sure. Takes an actual circuit to build pretty sure,but still a simple one I think.
If nothing else,as long as they only reprogram the BCM and not the PCM then shouldn't be a problem. Just tell them that.
Shouldn't flag any codes for security,so they prob won't notice anything else wrong with the system unless the bcm says something.
Just tell them no pcm programming,only bcm.
If all else fails,you know where I live.