RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Stroker upgrade... ZZ383 to a 496
Post Stroker upgrade... ZZ383 to a 496 
Well I finally did it. I think I have a power plant that going to fit my needs. Over that last few months I've been putting together a 496 to power the truck. The plan was gobs of torque down low and good horsepower up high. I wanted it to have a fairly smooth transition between torque and horsepower so when the truck was pulling the toy trailer.

The 383 worked well (especially after I swapped the heads and dialed in the quench) but it was kind of at its limit when I was pulling. So I decided to pull it while it was still working good.

The Upgrade

Mark VI 9.800" block '0' decked and studded
etched lifter bores
High volume oil pump
Eagle 496 stroker forged rotating assembly
Internally balance crank
Full floating H-beam rods
SRP 9:1 pistons
Custom rotating assembly balance
Total seal gapless top ring set
Cloyes chain set
ATI street balancer
TCI neutral balanced ring gear
Lunati Voodoo cam
Comp Extreme solid roller lifters
Smith Brothers custom pushrods
Comp Ultra Pro magnum roller rocker arms
AFR 265 oval port CNC heads
Headman 1.75" long tube headers
New Vortec distributor
GM performance products valve covers
MSD wires
MSD-6A Ignition control box
Accel Super Coil
Stock 7.4L injection intake manifold and throttle body
36# Accel injectors
Electric fans
Stock fuel pump
Stock 5.7L 4L80E converter

I've got about 1500 miles on it now with no problems. Cross your fingers!

Well...that's all well and good Noel....but....WHERE'S THE PIC'S???

Oh...I see you finally got those fans in.

You probably won't like the pics. There was no stainless used in this revamp!

The fans are actually doing a really good job of keeping it cool so far.

hey - i dont give a rip about shiny stuff - i wanna see pics too.

Post pic's................................................or I will. Very Happy

There it is Noel....unanimous.
Post pic's................................................or I will. Very Happy

I don't have access to photobucket right now. I will as soon as I can.

Start your own Face book page about your truck.

Like this:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CrazyHoe/306983858818?v=photos#

Not photovirusbucket!

Start your own Face book page about your truck.

Like this:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CrazyHoe/306983858818?v=photos#

Nice!

Last edited by NU72 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nice Noel, that is quite the upgrade. A while ago I think Howard mentioned that you were doing a 496 swap. I originally thought that you were doing a GEN VII 8.1(496) swap, but now I understand that your mill is a stroked 454.

A few questions about your old engine.
1. When you swapped the 210cc GMPP Fastburn heads for the AFR heads, did you change the cam? The stock ZZ383 cam is 222º/230º, what were the cams specs of the cam or cams you used?
2. Was there a vast difference between the 2 heads performance wise, would you hazard a power/torque number increase?
3. What size intake runner AFR heads did you run?
4. How was the off idle/low rpm torque between the 2 heads? How was the high rpm power comparison between both heads?
5. Was the PCM tuned after the 383 install, then after the head swap?
6. Who tuned the PCM? Wester's is in Tilley, Alberta.
7. What PCM are you running?

Now about your new 496.
8. What cam specs are you running.
9. Are you running the same torque converter behind the 496 as you did with the 383? If so, how much of a difference did you notice in the footbrake stall rpm?
10. What configuration of truck/Hoe/Burb does this beast of an engine reside in?
11. How does the powerband feel? Did you accomplish your goal of seamless transitions between solid low rpm torque and good upper prm power?

The stock Vortec intake and 1.75" LT headers must make for some excellent off idle torque.

I bet you can bury your 130mph/210kph speedo quite easily.lol

Sorry for all the questions, but I am considering a ZZ383'like engine for my 4000lb reg cab 2wd shortbox. I think my marine intake would fuel it nicely. Just answer what you feel like answering. I am trying to get a feel for how the ZZ383's powerband feels. I am looking for an engine that does OK at WOT under 3000-3500rpm, but really starts to work well horsepower-wise over 4000-4500rpm .
12. Did you sell the AFRZZ383?
13. After you got a good ZZ383 longblock, did you have any other issues with the engine? James broke the cranksnout off his GMPP HT383/ZZ383 longblock engine.
14. What did you use for headers on the ZZ383 with the 210cc Fastburn heads? They have those big D ports that are raised 0.100" higher than conventional heads. I have heard that these heads are akin to an LT4 head, but is setup for GEN 1E Vortec usage.

Thanks in advance Noel. I hope the 496 works out well for you.

EDIT You added a pic as I was typing, the engine looks really cool.

peace
Hog

IN...

OUT...

APART

TOGETHER...

IN...

I guess I'll have to find some. lol!

Where did you buy the 36# injectors?

Post Hogs Questions 
Nice Noel, that is quite the upgrade. A while ago I think Howard mentioned that you were doing a 496 swap. I originally thought that you were doing a GEN VII 8.1(496) swap, but now I understand that your mill is a stroked 454.

A few questions about your old engine.
1. When you swapped the 210cc GMPP Fastburn heads for the AFR heads, did you change the cam? The stock ZZ383 cam is 222º/230º, what were the cams specs of the cam or cams you used? No, I used the same cam ZZ383 cam.
2. Was there a vast difference between the 2 heads performance wise, would you hazard a power/torque number increase? I went with the AFR’s because I was using a Super Ram intake and needed the old style intake pattern. I also went with the open chamber heads. I didn’t like the compression ratio for a blower application. When I bought the engine, I was under the understanding that the CR was 9.4:1. They revised the book to indicate 9.8:1 but it felt even higher than that. I also installed shim head gaskets to get the quench down to 0.042”. This in turn raised the compression hence the open chambers. I believe that when I did the head / intake swap, I made just about as much power and torque as I did when I had the whipple on the L31 350 and 4L60E. The plan was to put the blower onto the super Ram but it never happened. I wish I had numbers to back up my seat-of-the-pants dyno but I don’t. Its hard to say how much better the heads worked because I did the intake, quench and dropped the compression ratio to 8.7:1. There are too may pluses and minuses to compare properly.
3. What size intake runner AFR heads did you run? AFR 195 CNC 75cc chambers
4. How was the off idle/low rpm torque between the 2 heads? How was the high rpm power comparison between both heads? About the same, but I would say the AFR were a little more snappy. That could be the difference in intake systems too. The Fast burns were better after 5000.
5. Was the PCM tuned after the 383 install, then after the head swap? Yup. An ongoing tune. There were big differences because of throttlebody, intake runners, CR, etc…
6. Who tuned the PCM? Wester's is in Tilley, Alberta. No
7. What PCM are you running? 0411

Now about your new 496.
8. What cam specs are you running. Lunati 60622 - 231/ 239 @ 0.050 and .600 lift I/E
9. Are you running the same torque converter behind the 496 as you did with the 383? If so, how much of a difference did you notice in the footbrake stall rpm? Nope. When I put the 4L80E in, the tranny shop screwed up and gave me a diesel converter. So when the 383 was powering the truck it had a very low stall converter in it. When I did the initial big block swap, I realized the issue and put a OEM 4L80E / 350 converter behind the BB. The 383 could only get the diesel converter to 1800 (which was pretty good I think!). The 454 took the stock 350 converter to 2400. The 496 takes it to 2700 and climbing.
10. What configuration of truck/Hoe/Burb does this beast of an engine reside in? 98 ECSB 4X4
11. How does the powerband feel? Different! It feels like torque but dead. But then you’re going 100 mph just like that! Did you accomplish your goal of seamless transitions between solid low rpm torque and good upper prm power? The jury’s still out on that one. LOL!

The stock Vortec intake and 1.75" LT headers must make for some excellent off idle torque. YUP! But I think the intake is restricting up higher.

I bet you can bury your 130mph/210kph speedo quite easily.lol Oh yeah!

Sorry for all the questions, but I am considering a ZZ383'like engine for my 4000lb reg cab 2wd shortbox. I think my marine intake would fuel it nicely. Just answer what you feel like answering. I am trying to get a feel for how the ZZ383's powerband feels. I am looking for an engine that does OK at WOT under 3000-3500rpm, but really starts to work well horsepower-wise over 4000-4500rpm .
12. Did you sell the AFRZZ383? No I still have it. I just pulled it and set it aside.
13. After you got a good ZZ383 longblock, did you have any other issues with the engine? James broke the cranksnout off his GMPP HT383/ZZ383 longblock engine. To be honest with you, I still had quite a bit of piston slap. Not sure why. It didn’t use any oil or anything, it just sounded like a ¼ mile race track engine.
14. What did you use for headers on the ZZ383 with the 210cc Fastburn heads? They have those big D ports that are raised 0.100" higher than conventional heads. I have heard that these heads are akin to an LT4 head, but is setup for GEN 1E Vortec usage. They were the Hookers. I can’t remember the number. I think I posted the number on the forum when they were new. I have never seen LT4 heads up close, but the exhaust ports are D’s. So, I would say you’re right.

Thanks in advance Noel. I hope the 496 works out well for you.

EDIT You added a pic as I was typing, the engine looks really cool.

No problem Hog, I’m glad to answer your questions and any others that may come up. God only knows how much you and the other forum members have helped me. Even the odd Oz helps once in a while. lol! Thanks…

I had a feeling that you would post a few questions when I posted again. Especially when Howard let the cat out of the bag a little while ago about the BB stroker. Lol!

Where did you get the plug wire holders for the BB? Those are exactly what I'm looking for.

Where did you get the plug wire holders for the BB? Those are exactly what I'm looking for.

They are from Jegs. Part number 710-72178

They work pretty good. I'm happy with them.

Hey Noel,
Where did you buy the 36# injectors?

Local speed shop. I had them in my 383.

They are an Accel set.

what you do or gonna do with that intake for the 383?

wanna sell it?

i like it....

what you do or gonna do with that intake for the 383?

wanna sell it?

I might! I haven't gave it much thought yet. I'll either sell the 383 as a complete engine or part it out. Complete would be easier but whatever works. Everything is still good. I think the SuperRam setup really helped the engine breathe. There were definately no power losses due to intake restrictions.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next