RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
1997 PCM swap to 2001 Vortec 350 Van PCM.
Post 1997 PCM swap to 2001 Vortec 350 Van PCM. 
Is this possible? Would all of my older sensors "talk" to the new computer, or could I get all of the 2001 vortec 350 van sensors(I dont have/need EVAP, EGR).

This topic was discussed on the older forum, but that info was lost, so lets get it archived here. I think Studytime or someone was speaking of the newer Vortec 350 PCM.

Tuning THIS PCM with Tunercat may be of help for some.

Is this the same PCM GM uses in the Vortec Gen 3 engines(4.8, 5.3 6.0) or is it specific to the Vortec 350 Van?

Does anyone have any info on the different PCM's GM has used over the years?

The highest revving GEN 2 pushrod smallblock was the LT4, it was underrated at 330hp at 5800 rpm. Fuel shutoff (rev-limit) was at 6300 rpm. I wonder if the LT1 and LT4 used the same PCM, I'm guessing so.

I'm sure Tunercat could support high revlimits on the LT series of motors, but they were designed with higher rpm use in mind than our L31/30's, which are revlimited at 5600rpm.

I wonder what the world record L31 PCM revlimit is? I want to know the tuners name.

TIA

Hog

I believe the 2001+ PCMs for all the 4.3 V6 and V8 applications are the same. See this thread for some pictures: http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567&highlight=pork

If you could get one of these PCMs working and the ability to tune with EFILive FlashScan I think you'll have a major advantage. That software and hardware is a great combination. Black box logging (no laptop in car), native USB support, excellent user interface, great documentation, and most importantly great customer service are things that make EFI Live great. I've used both TunerCat and EFILive and there is simply no comparison. Not bashing CATS here, just saying what I've observed. Each table in EFILive has a description of its function and warnings. The software tracks your changes in a human readable format so you can undo mistakes. The scan tool and tuning tool both have the same look and feel, to make the data acquisition and tuning process integrated. Custom operating systems with valet mode, dual spark maps, 2 bar MAP support, etc are just the start. Of course this stuff comes for a price- $700 minimum.

I know EFILive supports the 2001+ 4.3 V6 OS, but I'm not sure about the 5.7s in the vans. Post a question on their forum and I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Is the 350 vortec in a 2001 van? i know they had them in the 2000 vans. I would assume that most if not all the sensors would be the same on the engine as previous years. Also the 96-97 PCM is different then the 98-2000 PCM, the 98-2000 pcm's are all the same, I don't know about the 2001 however.

Yeah no one really knows if the same class II messages are used on the gen III series of PCM for purposes of ABS, SIR, cruise integration.

http://www.trucker.com/inventory/specsheet.asp?ID=1675789

http://www.trucker.com/inventory/specsheet.asp?ID=1656776

These show a 2002 and a 2003 Vortec 350(5.7l) in a van and in a straight truck.

I have seen references to GM using the L31 Vortec 350 all the way into 2005 in their commercial stuff. Very interesting.

Hog
edit:spelling

Post These people tune the 01-05 8.1, 5.7 L31 and the 4.3 L35 
http://www.jds-high-performance.com/

Scroll down on the right, I wonder what the differences between the 96-00 and the 01-03 L31's are.

12530283 p3 g2 3 c4 2500/3500

12530282 96-02 g van 1 2 c/k 1 2 1500/2500

12569010 w4 96-05 4500

These are GM part #'s for L31 longblocks. the 010 engine has differnt part# rods, pistons and possibly induction hardened exhaust seats.

Does anyone have a pinout sheet for a 2001+ Gvan l31 350?

Hog

Last edited by Hog on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Here are some PCM pn's for 2002 savana vans 
http://www.autopart.com/ecc/ECC2002GMCSAVANA1500.htm

Might as well archive this here.

Hog

Post Some pictures of PCM's 
http://www.speartech.com/compreprog.html

I wonder if these power the 2001 and up Savana's with the L31, if any of these are 12200411 it does.

Hog

Here's something I found going through gmgoodwrenches engine catalog...

12530282 350 CID New 5.7L
1999-2000 Chevrolet, GMC CK1 (L31) M30 (exc. NM8)
1996-98 Chevrolet, GMC CK1,2 (L31)(5.7R) M50, M30 (exc. NM8)
1996-2002 Chevrolet, GMC G1,2 (L31)(5.7R) M30
Engine-Specific Content: Crankshaft Hub, Front Cover, Oil Pan, and Valve Rocker Cover
Notes: For 2001 G-van application, service engine block contains English threads. May require Valve Covers to be
transferred from original engine for some applications
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
No special installation instructions are necessary. Please refer to the general installation procedure section of this book.

12530283 350 CID New 5.7L
1996-2000 Chevrolet, GMC CK2,3 (L31) MT1 (exc. NM8, KL5)
1996-2000 Chevrolet, GMC CK2,3 (L31)(5.7R) MW3 (exc. NM8)
1996-2002 Chevrolet, GMC G2,3 (L31)(5.7R) MT1
1996-99 Chevrolet, GMC P3 (L31)(5.7R) MW3, MT1 (exc. NM8, KL5)
Engine-Specific Content: Crankshaft Hub, Front Cover, Oil Pan, and Valve Rocker Covers
Notes: For 2001 G-van applications, service engine block contains English threads. When used for 2001 and 2002 vehicles,
must also use 2000 MY Starter/Trans/Eng mounting bolts.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
No special installation instructions are necessary. Please refer to the general installation procedure section of this book.

Post Reluctor rings 
I have found out that both the GEN1E and the GEN III engines use the same 4x rekuctor ring and sensors.

I ve spoken to a few techs and they think the swap is possible, just reflash using a g-van vin #.

That would be a nice swap, all the cool features like dual octane tuning.

Hog

Before you get started on this, be sure to realize how much research and time will need to be put into the project. You need to verify things such as the type, quantity, and location of knock sensors used on the van 350s, how the distributor is controlled and wired using the gen III PCM (designed for distributorless use), what instrument information is relayed over the class II data bus and what is outputted by traditional analog or digital signals, and so on. Don't want to turn you off here, since the gen III PCM and the tuning software available for it is leaps and bounds ahead of the old stuff, but make sure you know what you're getting into.

Post Thanks PSWired 
I'm not thinking of jumping in yet, but MAYBE in the future. As you stated the GEN III PCM's tuning software is quite advanced.

I need to find a 2001-2003 Gvan with the 350 and look it over, as well as go thru the Vans schematics.

This is an in depth project for sure, but right now Ive got a "pig rich" truck right now who's fuel mapping needs to get leaned down by 26%. hehe

Thanks for the heads up, have you uncovered any other stuff in YOUR searches??

Even if its the smallest tidbit of information, I hope all you posters and lurkers out there, will post your info here, so we can archive it all in one spot.

Did we lose any important info when we switched to the new format??
Thanks all
post away

peace
Paul "hog" Schermerhorn being a "pig" for GEN III PCM info.

For your situation right now I'd just find someone with TunerCat who can change your injector constant or IFR table or whatever the L31 PCM uses. Throw that Jet module as far as you can and forget about it.

Then later once the thing is running properly you can investigate installing a van PCM.

Allright Hog...I did some research and found out a few things that I'm sure will be both interesting and useful for the members of the forum. I guess this has already been done before so it's nothing earth shattering at this point but I'll post what I know. You peaked my interest when you said that some people have used the 01-02 van pcms to control our old school vortec 5.7 motors. Obviously they have a "Gen III style" pcm, or to put it another way, one that is similar or the same as what is used in LSx based trucks. I was thinking that 01-02 vans came with the newer gen III motors but they came with pretty much the same engine setup as what is in our trucks which I guess you knew already. I did some researching and got some part #s for 01-02 van pcms and was able to find out what operating system they use. The one I checked (on http://calid.gm.com )were pcm p/n 12200411 which uses OS 12208322 which is one of the OS supported by EFI Live (see http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_vehicles.html ). I took a look at the pinouts for the van compared to our trucks and they look like they pretty much have the same inputs/outputs (in different places of course), save for a couple of things like the alternator regulation. The engines share all the sensors that I looked at so far: crank sensor, cam sensor, knock, maf, coolant). They use the same 4x output crank reluctor and 1x cam output reluctor wheel. So, as far as I can tell, you should be able to use the newer pcm to control our motors, including the a/c and hopefully cruise control (didn’t look to close at that yet). I think I’m going to attempt this since I plan on using EFILive to control the 6.0L/4L80E combo in my Chevelle. I was surprised that it looks like it will work due to the fact that the gen III motors use totally different crank and cam inputs for the pcm so on that I stand corrected and look forward to attempting this in the future (probably not the near future but maybe a couple of months). I’m not sure if HP Tuners supports the same OS as EFI Live does, but Patrick, along with some others from LS1tech.com have pretty much convinced me to go with EFI Live anyways. Another nice thing to note is that EFI Live also has custom OS including 2 and 3 bar speed density and a bunch of other features like wideband O2 datalogging and datalogging without a laptop in the car. Let me know what you think.

Max

I think if you have some time to burn, wait for EFILive's new flashscan cable to be released. The hardware will be much better. They have details on their website. Good work getting the info on the van PCMs! BTW, how do they do the distributor control?

The new flashscan cable looks pretty impressive, I hope the cost is not prohibitive and that they're better at releasing their stuff when they say they will, unlike HPT from what I hear. The description for the ignition system is identical between the two and the part numbers for the ignition coil and module are the same. Can you load any custom OS onto the correct year PCM? Or in other words if the stock OS is listed as being supported, will the custom OS for the same year work for that application?

I did a search in the EFILive forum and it looks like the OS for the vans is supported with a custom OS:
http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread.php?t=498&highlight=12208322

Looking at the pinouts for the 01 van and say a 02 truck (gen III) most things are in the same place. I wonder though how say the pcm determines what cam and crank sensor signals they're receiving (the gen I 4x crank or gen III 24x crank for example). Does the OS determine whether the computer is looking for 4x vs 24x signals per revolution? The same would apply for the cam signals (1x vs. 2x respectively). All other sensor inputs should pretty much be the same (MAF, IAT, ECT, KNOCK, TPS bla. bla.).

Very interesting, very interesting indeed. I would be interested in doing this type of a swap. I would assume that we should be able to break thru the 5800 rpm rev limit ceiling.

I am wondering if Tunercat will support this newer PCM with the L31 cal? Westers and others lists tuning for the 2001 and newer L31 engines.

I have also seen these engines grouped together for tuning.
2001-2005
8.1L L18, 5.7L L31, and 4.3L L35 V6 (engine codes R, G, and W) I know for a fcat Tunercat OND2 will tune the L18 8.1 (496) Bigblock engines, I am hoping it will also support the 01 and up L31.

When MXScan hits the market Tunercat with its Winflash for flashing, and OBD2 Tuner will finally have a scanner/logger with wideband O2 support.
Then I wouldnty have to buy the EFILive or HPTuners packages, I can just use Tunercat.
I have heard that Tunercat OBD2 can tune some certain Tbales that HPTuners cannot, as far as the trucks go anyways.

I would look very seriously at converting to the GEN 3 PCM, if my work on GEN 1-E L31 PCM revlimiter falls thru. The work on the rev limiter is ongoing.

Thats some good info, Thanks SS350.
peace
Hog

OK guys, there is a guy on another forum who has installed a Vortec L31 350 into a 1999 GMT 800 truck that originally had the 4.3L engine in it.

Does anyone know which PCM this truck will have in it???

Does this help out the GEN 3 PCM running a GEN 1-e engine at all??

peace
Hog

PS This guy has installed a Vortec 350 into a 1999 rcsb and has run a 14.46.

Here is his mods

"ported the stock heads a little bit, flat top pistons, shimmed head gaskets, and the cam i mentioned before, and fuel injections specialties did something to my computer,""

peace
Hog

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next