RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
i found a 454 ss rear end how much would u pay?
Post i found a 454 ss rear end how much would u pay? 
This guy wants $650, its got 150K miles on it. I still think that is steep though. I checked the junk yards around and out of 5 different places i am getting prices from 250-350 bux.

What do you guys think? Worth it?

Kind of sad to think there has to be a 454SS being junked nearby there!
That's not a bad price for that rear end. They are rare and the yard must know it.
If it's out of a 1990 truck the gear ratio is going to be terrible and will need to be swapped out. Keep that in mind.

Actually James it is out of a 90....supposed to be 3.73s, what was wrong with the gears?

Okay, I was under the (false) impression that the 90's trucks had high gears in them since they came with the overdriveless TH400.

Thinking about that... wow. Imagine 3.73 gears, 28" tires and no overdrive going down the highway!

65MPH = 2910RPM Yuck

Okay, I was under the (false) impression that the 90's trucks had high gears in them since they came with the overdriveless TH400.

Thinking about that... wow. Imagine 3.73 gears, 28" tires and no overdrive going down the highway!

65MPH = 2910RPM Yuck

and a Rat motor too!

That dude wrecked his 454ss, fell asleep and wrapped it around something. I actually shot that link to Justin yesterday. I wouldn't pay that much for a rear end which spent that many miles behind a BBC. The 14 bolts can be had for much cheaper. You see that 8 lug SF I posted in the classifieds? ( http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/pts/1614307595.html )Swap in 6 lug axles and you're good to go. That thing is brand new compared to the one I got a hold of.

true but the 14 bolt on the 454 ss is already 5 bolt and 2wd, i shouldn't have to change much at all, almost direct replacement i would think.

Ya know, I never did see your hoe. You have stock rims on it?

no some crappy lookin 17s i got for real cheap, they are billet alum. though, hehe

quote="RStahoe99"]true but the 14 bolt on the 454 ss is already 5 bolt and 2wd, i shouldn't have to change much at all, almost direct replacement i would think.[/quote]
Yes it should be a direct bolt in affair, save for the u joint and U-bolt differences.(even the Mitchel book I am referring to at this moment doesnt differntiate between a 14 bolt axle housing or a 10 bolt axle housing in regards to U-bolts)

1990 was the 1st year of the 454SS truck, it was rated at 230hp@3600rpm/385 lb/ft@1600rpm, the trans was the 3l80(th400) 3 speed no OD, also it came with the 14 bolt 9.5" SF rear with 5 lug axles stuffed with a traction aid and 3.73 gearing(41 teeth on the ring gear and 11 teeth on the pinion gear).

1991-1993- the TBIā„¢ 454 was now rated at 255hp@4000rpm/405 kb/ft torque@2400rpm, the trans changed to the 4l80e and GM felt that the 0.75:1 OD ratio was enough to squeak in 4.10 gearing (41 teeth on the ring gear and 10 teeth on the pinion).

I am looking in Dad's 2006 Mitchell Collision estimating guide and a new 2wd 14 bolt axle housing costs $1928 while the 4wd axle housing costs $2448

15522068 2wd 9.5"axles are 31-9/16" in length (this lists as a 6 lug pattern, 5 lug 454SS isnt listed)
15521928 4wd 9.5" axles are 33-1/8" in length
both have 33 splines and both cost $792

4.10 gears with 28" tires and the 80e's .75:1 OD at 70mph nets you 2393 rpm
3.73 gears with 28" tires and the 400's 1:1 3rd gear @ 70mph gives 2910rpm
Better takeoff, acceleration and lower cruise rpm, I'd take the 4.10's and 80e any day of the week.

The 15 x 7" 5"x5lug chrome steel wheels which are known in GM parlance as the "Sport Level trim 89-00" are p/n9593309 and list @ $1319 a piece, these rims came on my truck as well as the 90-93 454SS as well as the Sierra GT's etc. Nice rim, but I iwsh they came in 15x8" and 15x10". There is a website that lists this rim as a 15x8" rim, but it isnt. You measure a rim's width from bead to bead, not edge to edge.

I would like to get a part number for a 1990-93 14 bolt 9.5" ring gear 2wd axle that is 31 9/16" long.

peace
Hog

I would like to get a part number for a 1990-93 14 bolt 9.5" ring gear 2wd axle that is 31 9/16" long.

peace
Hog

I have one of those apart in my garage right now. Came out of a 1988 C2500 Ext Cab. That is indeed my axle length. I'll post the casting # later.

Randall,

If you don't like your rims, all the more reason to use a 6 lug SF. IMHO the 5 lug wheel selection blows. So many more options with 6 lug, plus it allows you to use newer OEM wheels without spacers/adapters. Swapping a rear into your hoe shouldn't take more than 3-5 hours. Time the swap when you have to change your front rotors and slap 2500 rotors on.

Hog wrote:

peace
Hog

I have one of those apart in my garage right now. Came out of a 1988 C2500 Ext Cab. That is indeed my axle length. I'll post the casting # later.

Randall,

If you don't like your rims, all the more reason to use a 6 lug SF. IMHO the 5 lug wheel selection blows. So many more options with 6 lug, plus it allows you to use newer OEM wheels without spacers/adapters. Swapping a rear into your hoe shouldn't take more than 3-5 hours. Time the swap when you have to change your front rotors and slap 2500 rotors on.

I should have stated that I wanted the part number for a 2wd 5 lug 14 bolt 9.5" axle.
Sorry

this is the GM p/n for a 2wd 6lug 14 bolt 9.5" axle 15522068

peace
Hog

Thanks for all the info Paully! Do you think 650 is worth the axle or a little high? I'm also wondering if getting parts for the axle is going to suck.

Andrew to answer your question, i have several reasons.
A. My truck is already rare, 99 2dr 2wd tahoe, last year they made them and 2wd were the only tahoes that came with 5 lug.
B. i don't think the 6 lug front discs will fit on the same spindle will they? I've already spent alot of money on the spindles i have.
C. i hear ya on the wheel selection, but i wouldn't go stock anyway, I'm looking for some coy looking wheels and there are still several manufacturers making wheels for the 5x5 pattern. There are just too many trucks outhere that have that lug config. to stop, Chevy's and some jeeps.

If you're in love, shoot him an offer and see what happens. Money talks, bullshit walks. See if he'll take $500 for it and tell him you'll be there in 20 minutes with fresh hunnies. Cool

Just think about what your plans for it are.
Are you going to do a straight swap? If so, that's prob a good rear end to get.
Do you plan on installing a new differential?
Do you like the gears it currently has?

If you're going to install new gears and differential, that's a TON to pay for a rear end when you're throwing everything but the housing and axles away. Then again, like you said, your hoe is unique and those rear ends are rare.

IF you do get it, and intend to direct swap it, make sure you pull the cover and inspect the gears.

Thanks for all the info Paully! Do you think 650 is worth the axle or a little high? I'm also wondering if getting parts for the axle is going to suck.

No problem
$650 is high, thats for sure, esp. if you plan on replacing internals.
Parts shouldn't be a problem, aside from the axle shaft length and the the stud pattern(5 or 6 wheel studs) the rest of the parts will be the same. The carrier, ring and pinion gears, seals will all be the same between a 5 lug 2wd, 6 lug 2wd or 6 lug 4wd axle assembly.

The part that is rare in a true 90-93 14 bolt, 9.5" diameter ring gear 454SS rear axle assembly is the axle shafts that retain the 5"x 5 wheelstud pattern. A complete 5 lug 9.5"SF axle assembly is a harder find because there were only 16953 454SS trucks built for 90-93. Offer the guy $200 for the axles ONLY. You never know.

Andrew to answer your question, i have several reasons.
A. My truck is already rare, 99 2dr 2wd tahoe, last year they made them and 2wd were the only tahoes that came with 5 lug.
B. i don't think the 6 lug front discs will fit on the same spindle will they? I've already spent alot of money on the spindles i have.
You would just buy some C2500 front rotors, they bolt right on the stock spindles IIRC. James B did this on his Hoe.

Here is an excellent list of axle lengths (L/R lengths for rears with different length axle shafts 10.5"FF, 8.0" and some 7.5" rears), axle spline counts, wheel stud counts and what vehicles they are found in. I can't find the 454SS 9.5" SF 5 lug axle assembly mentioned in this list.

http://www.uspowertrain.com/axlesGM.htm

peace
Hog

Pauly--- by asking him to sell the axles, I'm assuming the axles will swap out with other 14bolt rearends? Which is why the carriers, etc are the same as the 6 lug 14bolt SF axles?

What about the brakes, would they be the JB6s on the SS trucks? Would I need the brakes and the axles or the drums(for the lug pattern) and the axles?

I like the axle only idea, not sure if he will go for it though

Pauly--- by asking him to sell the axles, I'm assuming the axles will swap out with other 14bolt rearends? Which is why the carriers, etc are the same as the 6 lug 14bolt SF axles?

What about the brakes, would they be the JB6s on the SS trucks? Would I need the brakes and the axles or the drums(for the lug pattern) and the axles?

I like the axle only idea, not sure if he will go for it though

If you want just the axles, you can also order aftermarket ones. PM me on the JB6 brakes if you go this way, I've got a set I bought for a JB6 conversion on my 96 Tahoe, it's the Police package and fits on a 5x5 inch wheel pattern.

I just came across a listing for about 18 axle shafts that are 31-5/8" length for the 14 bolt 9.5" SF rear end.

https://www.amazon.com/9-5-Rear-Axle-Shaft-31-5/dp/B00L2I87RM

However the above info I posted about 6 years ago says that the axle length for the 2wd 454SS 14 bolt 9.5" SF rear is 31-9/16" long.
Is 1/16" enough affect fitment? Or are my numbers off?

peace
Hog

But .062" longer, I don't see how that could be an issue.
Im sure there's enough meat inside the drum to accept this and that the outside bearing will have enough support on the shaft.

A look at the wear pattern on the used parts will determine this

Dutchman lists some new 9.5" 14 bolt 5 lug axles now.

YEAR MAKE REAR OEM # AL - LH OEM # AL - RH SPL BW BP PILOT BJ
90-93 C1500 454SS Chevy Pick-Up 2WD (B4U Suspension Package) 9.5; 14B 26016185 31 9/16 26016185 31 9/16 33 .350 5 on 5 3.086 1.705

http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/images/stories/orderforms/SR_C-Clip_Chevy_Truck.pdf

26016185 is the part number for the 33 spline 14 bolt, 9.5" 454SS 5"x 5 lug pattern

Yup, looks like we just find a 1988-1998 9.5" 9.5" 14 bolt axle from a 2wd 3/4 ton truck, and jam the Dutchman p/n 77 axles in it and go.
EDITTED

peace
Hog

Last edited by Hog on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next