RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
EEproms Reflashing and digital radio tuners XM Sirius
Post EEproms Reflashing and digital radio tuners XM Sirius 
XM Tuner box

I need to figure out a way to flash an EEPROM in a Delphi XM tuner box.

This is what I have learned to this point.
The GM Tech 2 can not reflash the Delphi XM tuner box. It is a once and done process as far as any GM Tech is concerned. The XM tuner box stores the VIN of the vehicle and can only be input at initial setup when the box is brand new, never been installed. The tuner box is connected to the BCM by class2 serial data bus. When the VIN does not match the XM tuner goes into “XM Lock” which is a theft deterrent feature GM is using.

Quite by accident, I found that if the BCM is not initially set up with XM (digital radio) but you have installed a XM ready radio and connect the XM tuner then you can use the XM radio.

However, my BCM was locked and I wanted to add remote keyless entry and a host of other options so I put in a brand new BCM and loaded it up with options. There was an opportunity at this point to load in the XM tuner which I did. Once this is loaded into the BCM it can not be removed.

Now that the BCM is set up to communicate to the XM tuner via class 2 data bus it sees that the VINs do not match and locks. I tried going back into the BCM to turn off the XM tuner but it is not possible. I tried removing the class 2 data pin from the connector and leaving the rest of the wires hooked to the radio and it does not recognize the XM at all. The radio is communicating to the BCM and will only go to the XM bands if the class 2 bus is connected to the XM tuner box.

Bottom line the XM tuner box has to have a matching VIN, and I know there has got to be a way to reflash that XM box. If any one knows of a way please chime in.

XM tuner box is $401.77
BCM is $350

Aftermarket tuners use a different antenna connection and are not permanent so that is not an option. I have to use my factory antenna and factory wiring. If there is an aftermarket box that will accept the factory SMB antenna connector and factory wiring harness then that will work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
TJ

Dunno on that, but it should be possible to get the VIN in the XM, then flash the computer to that VIN. I know that VINS can be flashed over in the vehicle PCM.

Had to pay someone $35 to do it, but took the XM box I got out of a salvage yard and had the "eeprom reflashed". This set everything back to zero just like a new unit. When I plugged it in it married up to my radio and BCM. Unless I have it reflashed again it will not work in any other vehicle.

So, if your hellbent on having a factory XM radio tuner, like I was, it can be done....

Thats some good work!!! congrats!! there is always a way around issues like that.... but sometimes we give up and cant find the resources to make it happen...... btw how did you find someone to do that and had the hardware to read and re-flash that eeprom on the xm box?

I don’t know why GM has made it so difficult... In my experience most dealers just don’t know about this stuff and if their technology cant do it then it must not be repairable, is the conclusion I have come to. GM will learn either by going broke or listening to consumers, but there are enough buyers out there that desire for more than a utilitarian type of vehicle. Look at the Scion experiment with Toyota, the buyer can customize the vehicle at the dealer or after the fact. Radios, sound systems and the like are the starting point for customizers. Since I can not afford GM's new vehicles I'm left with buying sloppy seconds and not getting to equip the vehicle the way I want if I were buying it new. I wanted a 2005 Impala SS so I could put a rear facing baby seat in since I can’t put one in my truck. I wanted performance too. So, I found a 2005 police car that was being unloaded by a PD and a rolled '05 SS in a salvage yard. Yes it a parts car but you gotta love Henry Ford for interchangeable parts! The only problem I ran into was the radio/XM box. I had the XM box plugged in and my radio displayed "XM LOCK" when on the XM bands. AM and FM worked fine so I left it plugged in. Why I don’t know but my display on the radio started going whacky, it wouldn’t dim unless the dimmer was set to full brightness, then the display would go completely dark. I couldn’t live with this so I took the radio and XM receiver to a radio service center - the same one the dealer uses - and explained my problems. I was completely honest in describing where I got my parts and what I was trying to do. Everything was on the up and up. Both units passed their test, so they cleared the EEPROMs and told me I would have to have a dealer set them up as new radios with the TechII. It’s exactly what I thought would fix the problem and sure enough it did. Neither the TechII nor the dealer has any means of clearing the EEPROM’s. The radio service center cautioned me that it might not solve my problem so either they are not supposed to be resetting these by order of GM/Delphi or they don’t know much about these things either. When is the last time you heard of someone breaking into a car to steal a factory radio any way (“Theft Lock”)….

Sorry for a long answer to a short question. I felt I needed to explain it a bit so someone else reading this would know why I did what I did and that I did not and do not have criminal intentions.

I thought that this would be my solution since you can buy remanufactured BCM’s, BCM’s can’t be rewritten by the dealer or the TechII. Those are a once and done according to the dealer.

Had to pay someone $35 to do it, but took the XM box I got out of a salvage yard and had the "eeprom reflashed". This set everything back to zero just like a new unit. When I plugged it in it married up to my radio and BCM. Unless I have it reflashed again it will not work in any other vehicle.

So, if your hellbent on having a factory XM radio tuner, like I was, it can be done....

Where did you go to get the eeprom reflashed? I was thinking of mailing them my unit. I live in New England.

I bought a used XM box to replace the one in my vehicle, but am getting the XM lock.

What was wrong with the one in your vehicle that you need to replace it?

What was wrong with the one in your vehicle that you need to replace it?

Nothing wrong per say with my 2003 two lead antenna version, but after some research the 2004 antenna (single lead) was an improvement and provides better reception. I get constant cut out from trees, etc on my 2003 XM unit and antenna. Thought is to "upgrade" to the 2004 single antenna. So I installed a 2004 antenna (pull the head-liner, etc), but am splitting the signal just before the XM unit to be compatible with my matched 2003 XM unit. I have a 2004 (single lead) unit, but when I install I get the "XM Lock". I understand I lose some signal by splitting the signal to my 2003 unit. Goal is to use my 2004 box once I get it out of XM Lock.

"The XM antenna used in the 2002-03 model years included two different elements, one to receive signals from the satellites, and a second one to receive signals from the ground repeaters. Two coax cables were required. The new antennas use one element to receive both sets of signals, and only one coax cable is required."

More discussion/history here:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,24443.msg418907.html#msg418907

I found this thread through SpottyJ's research (http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=116047.0). From there I got in touch with 98BlackSS.

Just an update 98BlackSS, I should be getting the module back tomorrow ($20 Saturday shipping). I was advised that the EEPROM was cleared. So we'll see what happens.

If anyone is interested, I created a thread over at the Corvette Forums with all the information.

Once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH 98Blackss for being persistent and discovering this little gem!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2595845-xm-lock-xm-locked-or-xm-theftlocked-issue-resolved.html

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1