RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
OEM Distributorless 411-powered 454?
This new thing sure fits nicely on this old thing...

James, do you have the part number for that big block 24x reluctor? my brother has a big block and wants to 411 it with the individual coils.

I skimmed through and I didn't see this mentioned (or the terminology might have been different). Besides the EFI Connection way with teh 24x stuff, the rep I was talking to at FAST said it could be done another way - it wouldn't give the computer as much "troubleshooting" information, but it would carry out the function and would be easier to setup (or so I was told). Here's a cut and paste of what he said.

the easiest method of getting a cam and crank signal is a standard 4 magnet crank trigger for crank signal and a late Vortech distributor that has a hall effect cam sync pickup. Some of my customers have taken this distributor and made a smooth billet cover to replace the dist cap, then, just use the pickup for your cam signal.

Again, if someone else said this in another way, I apologize for being repetitious - and he did say this was a bit of a shortcut, ease of adaptation and setup more than being as thorough and precise as the EFI Connection way.

I skimmed through and I didn't see this mentioned (or the terminology might have been different). Besides the EFI Connection way with teh 24x stuff, the rep I was talking to at FAST said it could be done another way - it wouldn't give the computer as much "troubleshooting" information, but it would carry out the function and would be easier to setup (or so I was told). Here's a cut and paste of what he said.

the easiest method of getting a cam and crank signal is a standard 4 magnet crank trigger for crank signal and a late Vortech distributor that has a hall effect cam sync pickup. Some of my customers have taken this distributor and made a smooth billet cover to replace the dist cap, then, just use the pickup for your cam signal.

Again, if someone else said this in another way, I apologize for being repetitious - and he did say this was a bit of a shortcut, ease of adaptation and setup more than being as thorough and precise as the EFI Connection way.

I'm having difficulty following what you're saying.

To summarize, you've described a ....
- 4x flying magnet crank signal and a
- 1x hall effect signal from a Vortec distributor

This thread discusses the use of the LS1 PCM. The problems I see here are that...
-the 2 wire crank sensor from a flying magnet type system is not compatible with the LS1 PCM
- the coil per cylinder calibration requires the 24x LS1 signal

Were you discussing a FAST controller with FAST or were you discussing the LS1 PCM with FAST?

Ah! Yes, that's a very important point that I completely overlooked! Jeez...

Yes, with the way it was described to me (Which I've decided not to go with, I'm going to attempt to use the 411 PCM... I'd like to have as much accuracy and data-feedback as possible) it was using the FAST controller.

Sorry for the confusion and oversight on my part!

James once said that the 411 never ran the 454. So what PCM ran the L21 from day one.

New to this forum and first time poster...but have been following this thread for a long time. This is great work by the members here and really has inspired me in my 454 quest.
I am attempting to use the 0411 to run a 454 with the vortec distributor so I would only need the 4 tooth reluctor right?. Anybody have the part number for the 4x reluctor in a Big block? I will be checking the for sale section for a gen VI timing cover. I believe the numbers below are for the 24x.
xx_ED_xx wrote:
PArt numbers
Reluctor - 12552480
crank sensor - 10456248

The engine will be installed in a 1996 impalass with twin turbo's. I fabricated a turbo system for my small block sold most everything and now swapping in the 454. I still have the megasqurt II but would like to make the 0411 work. Here is the build thread if interested:
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102568.0

James once said that the 411 never ran the 454. So what PCM ran the L21 from day one.

PCM
The PCM service number for the 99-00 L21 is GM# 16238212. This is the 98 Corvette and F-body PCM.

TAC
The Throttle Actuator Control module is GM# 12569707. This was used in 7.4L and 8.1L trucks through 2002.

That is the "LS1A" on EFI live ?

Yes, that is the S-LS1A stream (97-98 LS1 PCM). Which means you can reprogram an unlimited number of these PCMs with the purchase of EFILive. That stream is free.

Now the S-LS1B stream (99-08 LS1 PCM) is about $2500.00.

Last week we purchased J2534 equipment and a subscription to GM's service network. I successfully loaded the latest L21 calibration into the appropriate PCM, but cannot read it with EFILive. I even tried two different VINs with the hope that each would retrieve a different calibration from GM. I know the PCM is good because I can load a Corvette LS1 calibration into it and read it just fine.

EFILive returns "Status Unknown".

So...I figured I'd try TunerCat OBDII.

I also tried "Read" and got the same error.

Honestly I don't think it's really worth the time to pursue it any further. Asking EFILive or TunerCat to add support for this calibration is really not worth their time.
- the calibration won't be compatible with the 12200411 PCM
- while the fuel map would be nice to have, the spark map will be weak at best because of the vehicle weight
- while injector flow rate is unknown, it can be reasonably figured out with tuning and data logging

Bummer...sorry guys, I tried!

I found my stock P12 Chassis cal file. Works in TC2 and EFILive no problem.

S10Wildside wrote:
Last week we purchased J2534 equipment and a subscription to GM's service network. I successfully loaded the latest L21 calibration into the appropriate PCM, but cannot read it with EFILive. I even tried two different VINs with the hope that each would retrieve a different calibration from GM. I know the PCM is good because I can load a Corvette LS1 calibration into it and read it just fine.

EFILive returns "Status Unknown".

So...I figured I'd try TunerCat OBDII.

I also tried "Read" and got the same error.

Honestly I don't think it's really worth the time to pursue it any further. Asking EFILive or TunerCat to add support for this calibration is really not worth their time.
- the calibration won't be compatible with the 12200411 PCM
- while the fuel map would be nice to have, the spark map will be weak at best because of the vehicle weight
- while injector flow rate is unknown, it can be reasonably figured out with tuning and data logging

Bummer...sorry guys, I tried!

Awesome. Are you willing to email the calibration to mike@eficonnection.com? I'd like to take a look. Thanks!

S10Wildside wrote:
Awesome. Are you willing to email the calibration to mike@eficonnection.com? I'd like to take a look. Thanks!

Hey there! Amazing you can get internet where you are! Wasn't like that when I was there in 1991! Wires didn't reach that long!

xx_ED_xx wrote:
Hola nodih Very Happy

Sent!

Thank you.

I was able to flash it into a 97-98 PCM and pull out a .tun EFILive file and a .cal TunerCat OBDII file. Should be able to pull out a HP Tuners file in a few weeks.

I was hoping to copy/paste a lot of tables into a 2008 Corvette calibration, but there are some significant differences in the fuel calibration tables (resolution, data units, etc). No biggie...I'll have to do a little tuning with the wideband O2.

Post Tune File and 0411 pinout needed 
97 454 being rebuild with 0411 and EFIConnection 24x reluctor - CNP. Need a pin out and base tune file! Need help. Thanks.

Post Re: Tune File and 0411 pinout needed 
kag96 wrote:
97 454 being rebuild with 0411 and EFIConnection 24x reluctor - CNP. Need a pin out and base tune file! Need help. Thanks.

You could use a truck tune and pin out, 8.1???

peace
Hog

Post So where did you guys get with this? 
I know this is a old thread, but when some of the most intelligent people on this forum (ie: Mike AKA S10Wilside, and James B) left it in limbo. It makes me wonder. How was the result? Was there a result? Any advice?

Reply to topic Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next