RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
2000 7.4 Vortec distributor install??
Post 2000 7.4 Vortec distributor install?? 
have the dist out, but failed to mark it for re-install.
I've read some info on the 2 numbers that are on the dist body, 6 & 8. As I recall, they have someting to do w/ the rotor location, when re-installing the distributor.[Can't find the info!] Mad
I have found what I think is the "timing" marks for initial setup.
1 is a tab about 2 o'clock and a slot on the balancer. I have the valves on 1 closed, and the balancer lined w/ the tab.
Do I install the distributor w/ rotor at #1, or is there a different location? [IE using the 6&8 marks]
I have the latest version of EFILIVE to confirm the cam PID..[GM.CMPRET]

Thanks!
Chuck

IF and thats the biggy, IF this engine holds true to the procedure for any other vortec V8 then here it is.

This is the install procedure for an L31(350 vortec)(1996-1999/2000). It should be the same for the 7.4 vortec IMO.

1. Bring cylinder number one piston to Top Dead Center of compression stroke. (The marks you mentioned sound like the right ones. On the L31 there is a "v" cast right into the plactic timing cover right around 2 o'clock)
2. Remove Distrbutor cap
3. Make sure you have your distributor gasket in place
4. Align the indent hole on the driven gear(distributor gear at bottom of shaft) with the paint mark on the distributor housing.(see below)

5. Align oil pump driveshaft with slot in distributor.
6. Align the flat(labled number 1 in picture) toward the front of engine.(see below)

7. Install distributor and clamp but do not tighten clamp.
8. Once the distributor is fully seated align the roter contact with the number 8 pointer that is cast into distributor body.(see below)

9. If the contact does not come within a couple degrees of the pointer then the gear mesh is off and the process needs to be repeated.
10. Tighten clamp once aligned.(18 lb-ft)
11. Install cap.(21 lb-in)

Hope this helps
Jesse

Post GOT IT! 
Thanks!
Will proceed!! Very Happy

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1