RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Vortec 350 Upgrades??
Post Vortec 350 Upgrades?? 
Newbie Alert!!

What kind of mods are available for the '96-'00 Vortec 350? Has anyone had experience with: headers, cold air intake, chips, cam, throttle body spacer?

A great 'excuse' for making more power has presented itself!!

Thanks

TC

there is a Vega rolling around somewhere with a stock Vortec 350 that runs high 12's

so the potential is there.....

but yeah, are you serious!?!

Just looking to wake up a '99 Tahoe, not turn it into a monster truck. At 255 HP and 330 ft/lbs, is there anything left to gain short of stroking/machining? What are the limits of the factory fuel injection system? There's plenty of info on LS1 based small blocks. I can't find much on late '90's Vortecs. If all the adds for bolt on parts are to believed, I can get close to 400 HP in an afternoon...RIGHT! Just checking what works.

TC

Bolt on parts will get you some power, yes. But not as much as the sum of each part advertises.

My best advice is to read a bunch of the posts on this forum. It's got the most (useful) information that I've found so far on the Vortec engines.

There's some great people here. I think sometimes it gets lost that new people may not know much about stuff, though. Don't get discouraged. Read, read, read. Ask questions about specifics, if you can't find answers by searching.

Suggested upgrades... exhaust. First and foremost. Cat-back systems aren't too much money. Headers, possibly. Intake mods for more airflow... New camshaft? That will net a nice amount of power right there. You can't go over about .480" lift with stock heads, though. That will take machining, or running a different valve seal and springs.

The stock injection will support about 400 HP (330 or so RWHP). After that, you'd have to upgrade intakes.

i second what sherk said or you could get a ht383e it will work with the stock efi system and computer with out tuning just plug and play but even then you could get more performance with a custom tune. for your 350 or a 383

ht383ehttp://www.duramaxperformancechip.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2808&start=0

these are just some mail order pcm tuners

nelson performance
wait4me
pcm4less
westersgarage

or you could have it tune on a chassis dyno to get a more accurate tune

just some suggestions

Last edited by 383 silverado on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total

wait4me

hey, all in good fun - just a little hazing Razz

but, the best thing to do (cost wise) would be to "unlock" your motor - TUNING!!

stock setup has them running rich and retarded - pun intended.

get it to breathe better - throw some headers and free flow exhaust.

not much can be had from intake - but the colder the air, the better, i would not waste the money on those expensive K&N crap, rather - make your own. spend 20 bucks at a home depot and you would see the same gains.

as a note, full on headers and nice exhaust is only worth about 35-40hp.

get some E-fans

there are a bunch of little things here and there you can do to wake it up, question is - what are you looking for in the end.

you can nickel and dime it with bolt ons, or - like what was suggested, get the HT383 and have real improvement with zero worry and dead reliability.

think the going rate for a shortblock is about 2500, you could bolt on all your parts and be done.

if that sounds like a lot, just think, good headers and exhaust will cost almost half that and only give about 35hp.

then there supercharging and turbocharging and both those options will cost more than a short block, so.......

Who's 'wair45me'? Laughing

wait4me

he's not as think as me drunk i am

oh... I just though he was a sneaky spammer...just kinda had that feel to the first post...

Bolt a Wynjammer supercharger on it. Probably the most bang for the buck without having to make serious mods. The L31 is a good package, yet it has some serious limitations.

'99 Tahoes are cool. I have one of those.

http://bertok.us/pics/traction.mpg

The GM Performance Parts crate 383 works very well under a Vortec top end.

There's a 383 under there?? Nice. I like the 383 idea...later. Any first hand experience with bolt ons? It already has factory dual cats so not sure how much is left to uncork there.

The cats are fine, its the tiny 1 7/8" pipes that feed them from the manifolds. These stock headpipes crimp down even smaller in the 90° bend on the drivers side.

The 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks got a larger 2 1/4" headpipe setup with larger pipes AND cats.

You can weld up the inlets on the stock cats to fit any headpipe diameter you wish. I am running dual 2 1/2" headpipes.

Some Hooker or Hedman Hustler longtube headers with both larger catforward and cat back exhaust, would increase power.
Along with a very mild Fastchip PCm tune, I dropped 3/4's of a second from my 1/4 mile time.

Welcome to the forums.

peace
Hog

Thanks Hog. That's the info I'm looking for.

James B.: That's quite the rig! Mine is dark green. Am I seeing that right? The intake manifold is pressurized and the throttle body has negative pressure? Looks like the early '80's T/A Turbo's. What's with the copper street elbows under the brake resevoir? What do you think about the YellowTop?

TC

...Am I seeing that right? The intake manifold is pressurized and the throttle body has negative pressure?... What's with the copper street elbows under the brake resevoir? What do you think about the YellowTop?

Yes, you've got it right. The intercooler and intake see both boost and vacuum, the throttle body is on the inlet (vacuum) side of the supercharger. All roots and twin-screw are set up like this.
The copper elbows offset my master cylinder to make room for the Whipple 140AX. This is a 2.3L compressor that was never meant to go there. Whipple's original 350 Vortec kit came with a shorter and smaller-displacement 1.6L compressor. This is all custom fabricated. The elbows just happen to be the perfect inside and outside diameters, it was pure luck, but I did spend quite a bit of time in the plumbing section with my reservoir in-hand before finding them. The GM 383 with Edelbrock heads underneath all this looks like this:

The Optima Yellow-top is something you install and forget about for a VERY long time. Drain it. Crank it. Tip it. Freeze it. Heat it. It doesn't care, it just WORKS.

Thanks. I bet you have some fun at stop lights! Looks almost normal on the outside.

Any one else have experience with shortys or cams?

1 vote for Fastchip. Anyone else?

Shorty headers emphasize top end RPM. Long tube headers emphasize low end.

Cam, really depends on what you are after, the best source of info there is a call to Comp Cams. What might be right for me may not be what's right for you.

Fastchip does good work. I used him because he is local to me. If not in Tulsa though, I'd look into the self-programmers. Mail order can get to be real old real fast.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1