RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
L31 Timing Chain Cover
it would be fairly simple to machine a reluctor ring and fasten it to the harmonic balancer and then all yuo would have to do is fab up a bracket to hod the hall effect sensor. I've even seen the sensors with the ability to be adjusted for hieght used in power generation equipment much like the magnetic pickups used in the msd setup. As far as the reluctor wheel use the factory piece as a template and the further you go away from the centerline the wider the gap or for increased accuracy keep the same gap as the stock piece but it would be more crutial to have the gap in the correct location( less room for error. The homade reluctur would need to be fastened to the hub of the balancer. This would enable you to use the timing cover of your choice.

Post Suburban imports... 
Thanks Hog, that's the place I bought the crate motor from when I was told by the dealer it was going to cost me $1000.00 just for the new crank! Then bearings, gaskets etc, etc....
$4000.00 later and a brand new motor! Done!
I want to see a pic of the inside. I think it may be possible to make a mount for the sensor identical to that inside the plastic cover and either weld or bolt/screw it in.
Anything is possible! As in the motto of the British SAS "Who Dares Wins" Wink Laughing

Howard

I was looking into this a few weeks ago when I was trying to figure out how to put a Dart Little M shorblock in my truck and retain all the sensors and the roller cam setup since this is an older style 2pc rear seal non roller cam type block. This would require a sturdy timing cover so that I could run a cam thrust button with a retrofit roller cam and lifters since the block does not have a provisition for a roller cam retainer. Since it would require using something other than the factory timing cover I was considering maybe going with one of Accel's Dual Sync distributors that they manufacture for use with their sequential efi systems:
http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/DFIDistributorsCamshafts.pdf

I don't know if these use the same voltage or frequence of sensors/reluctor wheels but if you guys are serious abou this, it might be worth looking into. Still you run into the problem of timing variances due to timing chain slack, but it may be an option.

Max

That is what i am trying to do, I want to try to run the 0411 on an old 2pc rear main 355 and need to run a cam thrust button. If i can make this work it would be cool, I have the holley commander 950 mpfi, and will be using all the mechanical stuff with a 0411 pcm L31 crank sensor and distributor, and ditching the commander 950 ecm. I want trans control, and some of the other 411 fetures. Ive thought about getting a aluminum cover and trying to add a the sensor, but most of the covers ive seen dont look like they will clear the sensor wheel.

Ya know, should be simple enough to take one of those timing covers to a machine shop along with an old style, then ask them to make an old style cover with the sensor bung on it. Probably get a discount for a bulk order. I doubt there will be any shortage of takers on this board, as this has stopped at least 1 400cid install.

Ya know, should be simple enough to take one of those timing covers to a machine shop along with an old style, then ask them to make an old style cover with the sensor bung on it. Probably get a discount for a bulk order. I doubt there will be any shortage of takers on this board, as this has stopped at least 1 400cid install.

And while that's being done make it a two piece unit so you can swap cams w/o having to drop the oil pan Evil or Very Mad

Yes, and not just a cam hole, either. Make it a full face 2 piece so the timing chain can be replaced without dropping the pan. I don't know about the rest of you, but for me a timing chain is a standard replacement item when the cam comes out.

Post Yes! 
That's why I was looking for a pic of the insides of each.
We have a machine shop at work!

Howard

I will see if i can have a pic of each on monday. I have a plastic vortec one on the shelf, I will have to pull the standard one and get a pic. If you think you can get some made I would be willing to send you my plastic part, and the tin old covers are everyware for cheap.

Post Ok 
That'd be great!
I reckon it couldn't be too hard but I need to see them first.
I can buy a tin or Al one here to compare.
I wonder why none of the performance org's have done this yet?

Howard

What if you took the stock timing cover and made a jig that would hold the cover and a drill bit the size of the sensor in proper alignment. Then put an Aluminum cover of your choice into that jig and drilled your sensor hole. After that was finished you could clearance the inside for reluctor wheel clearance.

I just want to be clear, there are 2 examples of the plastic front timing covers(with 8 bolt holes) and many examples of the standard metal front covers with 12 bolt holes.

plastic covers with 8 bolt holes- there is 1 plastic front cover that has the hole for the CKP sensor, and another plastic front timing cover that DOESNT have the provision for the crank sensor

there are many many metal 12 bolt hole timing covers.

You can use a metal cover on an engine that originally had a plastic cover and vice versa. You just have to be sure that you get the correct part if you need to use a crank position sensor.

A metal example with 12 bolt holes is pn 12342089.
An 8 hole plastic front timing cover is pn 12552557, i dont know if this is the crank sensor hole equipped cover or not.

The Ramjet 350 (350hp) PN 12562818 PLASTIC front cover with pointer, the HT and ZZ 383 crates also use this. Maybe James can tell us if he had to use teh L31 front cover or if the GM 383 he got had the correct crank sensor fitting front cover.
The ZZ4 crate uses a plastic front cover with pointer pn 12552557.

James when you installed you 383, did you have to use the L31 vfront timing cover, or did you use the cover that came with teh ZZ/HT 383 shortblock?

peace
Hog

The time cover that came with the HT383 was plastic and had the bore for the timing sensor. The bore was plugged at the bottom by a thin layer of plastic cast into it. To use a CPS sensor with this cover you only have to drill out the bore and then salavage the sensor, bolt, and threaded brass insert from the old Vortec cover.

peace
Hog

Post Pics 
Here is a pic for the 96-00 5.7L vortec...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-0-5-7-VORTEC-GM-CHEVY-NEW-TIMING-COVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33625QQihZ017QQitemZ270053772306QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

non vortec cover...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-Chevy-Truck-Car-305-350-Stock-Timing-Cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33625QQihZ019QQitemZ7945720357QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Josh

Post thanks ST 
So, is the circled part on this cover where the sensor mounts?

If so, hasn't the 'creator' of this cover already done what we're talking about?

Howard

I have pics of the inside of both covers, But how do you post them?

CKP Sensor mounts in the upper of the 2 round bosses on the lower portion of the cover.

Boosted

I have pics of the inside of both covers, But how do you post them?

First they need to be hosted on the internet. Use a free hosting service such as photobucket.com

Then you remote link to the picture using Phpbb code. The code format is [img]url[/img]

url is the location of the picture, on the internet. You cannot remote link to your hard drive without first setting up your computer as a server, too much hassle for a novice user, and wayyyyy beyond the scope of what we are doing here.

Post Re: thanks ST 
hquick wrote:
So, is the circled part on this cover where the sensor mounts?

If so, hasn't the 'creator' of this cover already done what we're talking about?

Howard

I believe that is the stock timing reference mark.

Last edited by Stealth97 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
If you look at the plastic cover there are 2 protrusions coming out of the bottom left side, the one closest to the bottom is for the threaded brass insert and the other is for the sensor.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next