RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 54 of 56
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
98 GMC Twin Turbo with 12200411 PCM--- It's Alive
Goldhawg wrote:
Do I have to find the end of these wires and extend them to the fans, or do I just tape off the original harness wires and run two new wires from the C2 33 & C1 42 directly to my fans?

I have never seen a GMT400 truck with factory dual electric fans. A very few had a single electric auxiliary fan. If your truck has the factory auxiliary fan and you just want to use it as such---then the wiring is already there and you would repin at the PCM accordingly. If your truck doesn't have any factory installed electric fans and you want to add one or two, then you need to add all of the wiring and relays for the setup.

Jeff

Sorry I wasn't clear; my '99 tahoe doesn't have them either--I will be adding the Mark VIII fan w/two speeds. My question was simply that it appears based on your excel spreadsheet that there is an existing wire that will repin to the 0411 (a Dk Grn and a Dk Blu). Assuming those wires are there, I would not repin them, but rather tape up, and run new pin wires to the fan. My only confusion is what these two existing wires did. I believe the Dk Grn (C4-7 on blackbox) was for AC Recirculation, and that apparently is not needed--so tape that one up and run a separate Dk Grn line over to high speed fan. But the spreadsheet shows that C4-9 had a Dk Blu line that apparently wasn't used for anything? So if its there, just tape up also and run a separate line for Low Speed Fan?

When the AC comes on, the 0411 will turn the fan on high speed automatically?

Thx!

C4-7 will get taped back into the harness and not used. You will run another wire from there to the relay circuit of high speed fan #2. If there is a wire at C4-9 use it for low speed fan #1. If there is not one there--run a wire to the relay circuit of the low speed fan #1. Do a search for A/C pressure sensor (I think) and there is a thread about A/C and fan operation based on Refrigerant pressure.

Jeff

Well I finished my install yesterday; efans & and 0411 swap. Unfortunately I was unable to get it to start. The engine turns over, but just cranks and cranks w/no effort to start. I emailed my tuner, and he asked about RPM, and my scan tool shows none while cranking. He said that the crankshaft sensor was not reading properly. Since I finished up late last night, I didn't go back with the bottom of the spreadsheet to double check the pins (from the 0411 C1 pin 1, 2, etc., to check the color of the wires). Given what my tuner said, I immediately today looked at my crankshaft sensor pins (yellow wire for CKP sensor into C1-12, and purple into C1-21 for the low reference). Both were in the right slot, so I started back at C1-1 until the end. But then I noticed that the C1-21 pin, while in the right position, was somehow not locked in as high as the others. Aha! I pushed it back up and carefully put the blue cover back on and tried starting again. However, still NO JOY--same as before. I crank and no rpm and no trying to start. So I got back out and checked all the other pins on the C2 connector, and they are all correct, and locked into the right position.

Any ideas as to the best order to troubleshoot? Could my tuner not have done something correctly? If VATS was not programmed out would it allow my scan tool to read as if there were no RPM?

one thing i did notice when swapping segments in my tune with other tunes trying to get the A/C working and e fans and 4 low..... there were some system segments that would not allow my truck to start..... i had the advantage of starting with a working truck though and ability to reflash my tune with a known working one also as well..... with that said, can you put that 0411 in another similar truck and see if it works by chance?

if you unbolted the crank sensor and let it dangle by the wires and turned key on engine off and waved a knife infront of it quickly does the rpm signal fluctuate any? do you have spark? are the injectors firing? is the fuel pump running and did you check all fuses in both panels? was the 0411 swap done with battery disconnected?

The fuel pump is working, and I did disconnect the ground to the battery before repinning. I checked all the fuses and none are blown. What would be other sources of no RPM besides the crankshaft sensor?

5v referance voltage to the crank sensor and sv referance ground.
check both of these.... red lead on 5v ref voltage pin at sensor and black meter lead on 5 v ref ground and with key on you should be getting 5 v.
if not go backwards from there to wiring.
the computer makes the 5v ref voltage and 5v ground

I used my power probe to check voltage on both wires w/key on. The yellow wire (CKP sensor going to C1-12) reads 5v, however the purple wire, CKP sensor ground reference (going to C1-21) does not. The purple wire was the one that previously did not have the pin fully engaged, but it is now. To be clear (from your comment about having a running truck), my truck was running fine prior to this swap. I simply repinned the connectors and added the Efan. Is there anything in the computer program that could have been done incorrectly that would lead the computer to not output the 5v reference signal?

So, Your truck was running with the 0411---Then you installed the e-fans and A/C pressure sensor and changed the tune and now it won't start? As Stroker stated not all "System" segments will run on our trucks.

Jeff

No, sorry for the confusion. My truck was fine running with the black box until this weekend (such that the crankshaft sensor was obviously getting the proper signals and the wires were not broken/corroded)--I've just changed to the 0411 and did the efans at the same time. A principle reason for me to change to the 0411 was the efan control. I guess I don't understand what the "not all system segments will run on our trucks" means. As I've been following the 0411 swap, efans and ac control are possible and I followed the pinning instructions per this post and the "efan finally" thread. My tuner had previously helped a guy w/a 96 tahoe convert over to 0411 and that was successful. In my case he allegedly copied over the base 2002 Express OS and then added in the 99-02 camaro efan information. He deleted VATS, the generator codes, and the EGR. One wrinkle was he was unable to get the VIN to change to my VIN; the box still said it was from a blazer (I got the PCM from a 2002 S-10 blazer). But since it had all the parameters he thought it would run; he was going to work w/HP Tuners support to figure that out while he dyno tuned it. So is there something he may not have done correctly that would lead to no 5v reference on the crankshaft sensor?

Obviously something's wrong. So I don't know if its something I've done wrong (but I've double checked the pin locations, and I did them one at a time) or the tuner needs to do something additional. If there is something add'l the tuner needs to take care of to make sure it works, can you give me any specifics to tell him? I appreciate all your help in getting me thru this swap successfully.

If there are no mistakes in the wiring---Then it is in the calibration of the PCM. There are 8 different segments in the P59/LS1b/0411 PCM.

1. Operating System.
2. Engine Calibration.
3. Engine Diagnostics.
4. Transmission Calibration.
5. Transmission Diagnostics.
6. Fuel System.
7. System.
8. Speedometer.

Jeff

Anyone have any recommendations or pics on the best way to tap into the trans harness?

I did mine where the harness spits off and goes down to the trans. Its right by the coil. Was pretty easy that way

Seems like that would be much easier, thanks Whipped!

Got my 0411 swapped out last Saturday. Took about 1.5 hours to transfer all the wires and that included breaking for lunch. Took about another hour to run the tranny wires. My buddy also did his 1999 suburban on Sunday. I found a PCM mount from a Blazer and fabbed up some brackets and mounted it. Getting it tuned on Monday!

I found these on google images there are some differences in the two columns on each page. does anybody know why?

I found these on Google images there are some differences in the two columns on each page. Does anybody know why?

I supplied you with a wiring file for your truck that is correct and has been used for several years. Why do you want someone to "Check" this one for differences?

Jeff

sorry lextech, I've had these saved for a while. just didn't understand the x's. and I didn't see ur email. didn't mean to step on any toes, I will be going solely off what u sent me lextech. I was just curious. and thanks again. and I will be in touch with you once I get the v8 installed about the pcm kit.

It's been a long time since I have posted!

I'm going to do the swap now, and have an awesome LS1 tuner I know dyno and street tune it.

Drivability has never been the best with my truck, and now that I dont drive it as much - I want the time that I do spend in it to be as enjoyable as possible!

I'm going to buy everything from Lextech, and hope that with all his trailblazing he has been able to make some coin from his efforts Smile

I have a 0411pcm from a 2001 5.0 express van. Will the 5.0 tune run the 5.7 in my blazer, or does it need to be flash for the 5.7? Or is the 5.0 and 5.7 tune the same?

Thanks

Will the 5.0 tune run the 5.7 in my Blazer, or does it need to be flashed for the 5.7? Are the 5.0 and 5.7 tunes the same?

The 5.0 and 5.7 calibrations are not the same. They will run on either engine but should be tuned for the application.

Jeff

Reply to topic Page 54 of 56
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next