RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The latest advance in power savings
Post The latest advance in power savings 
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050415/ap_on_hi_te/led_lighting

Soon we will be able to replace florescents with LEDs. That'll make it even easier to go all solar. Sez here that right now an LED can be turned on and it will burn for 6 years straight before burning out, so an LED bulb once installed may last decades. Plus, they use less power than florescents do, which themselves use a fraction of what incandescents do.

I forsee my dream of living in a 100 percent off the grid solar house taking another step towards reality! That and well water will make for a house that has only a tax bill that can't be avoided.

I have 12 of these in all areas of my house:

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp_Q_intProductID_E_48600

They are 4 years old, sometimes left on all day long. My electric bill has been about 15 percent lower as an average since installing these bulbs.

Its just a shade under the same color as sunlight. Much easier on my eyes indoors at night. Also makes the room feel bigger with white light and not that nasty yellow/brown crap.

Also dont put off as much heat.

http://benlincoln.com/other/3.JPG
http://benlincoln.com/other/4.JPG

14 white watts vs 75 brown watts

Post Yeah, I love the florescents, 
I even use one for my drop light. Damn things are tough too. I've dropped my light many times, and the indy bulbs would alway pop out. I'm on the first 100W equivilent flory, put it in November of last year. On top of that, if the droplight rolls against bare skin it doesn't burn like the indy bulbs do. Not only that, you can leave a flory laying on the carpet for hours on end without worry, where the indy will start making the carpet melt and smoke after a couple of minutes.

The only negative I can say with these bulbs is when it's cold they have to have time to warm up before they will put out full light. Not a problem for the most part, it takes just 5 minutes to get to full intensity. The feature is actually kinda nice, the bulbs in the recessed ceiling fixtures in the kitchen start off dim in the morning, and by the time the bulbs are at full intensity your eyes have a chance to adjust. Makes it easier on the eyes in the morning even if you do have to turn on the kitchen lights, then come back later to do anything in the kitchen on a cold night.

Mine:

After 1 second - light turns on
2 seconds - 50% luminated
3 seconds - 75% luminated
10 - about 90

Almost full strength after 30 seconds or so.

Post Depends on the bulb 
Pro wrote:
5 minutes?

Mine:

After 1 second - light turns on
2 seconds - 50% luminated
3 seconds - 75% luminated
10 - about 90

Almost full strength after 30 seconds or so.

and the location. The bulbs that are hanging in the house and are therefore warm when they are turned on, the light is instant. Only the ones that are recessed into the roof, and as a result are cold, take their time to come on. I expect that during the summer these bulbs will be instant on as well. Been cold in the attic in the mornings so far this year though, we've only had a few warm days. Florescents are temperature sensitive. Really incandescents are too, but it isn't as noticable since they get so hot so fast.

Hey, that's great. Thanks for that link. I just ordered 8 of their 75W 12V DC bulbs for my own off grid project. I'll only need to use two, but I'll have some extras. Maybe enough to last the rest of my life up there in them Alpena Michigan woods.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1