RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
How do I know what alternator I have ?
Post How do I know what alternator I have ? 
99 Tahoe 5.7

Is there an RPO that will tell me which alternator I have ?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the RPO but I believe they make 105 Amp and 140 Amp alts for our trucks stock from Delco.

I think you have a CS-130D like we all should unless you have a CS-144 equipped truck (454 cu in. maybe, and some others).

I'm not sure about the RPO but I believe they make 105 Amp and 140 Amp alts for our trucks stock from Delco.

I think you have a CS-130D like we all should unless you have a CS-144 equipped truck (454 cu in. maybe, and some others).

hehe I got a 144...

My 99 Tahoe came with the CS144 too. Look like this:

mine looks like a truck alternator........ie. its dirty an beat to shit an still takes a lickin an keeps on sticking.....did you wax that alternator fo the pic?

http://www.alternatorparts.com/ad_alternator_order_page.htm

Well that is quite awesome to come stock like that. Thanks for sharing.

John Moss put all the "cool" components on those 2000 Tahoe Limiteds.

peace
Hog

peace
Hog

thats why james wishes he had one...

of course he didn't prewire the fugger for trailering, just ran a 10-12 gauge set of wires front to back, GMT 800 trucks have a plug an play harness already......bastards...

Well wussies, I have a 244!
http://www.alternatorparts.com/ad_alternator_order_page.htm

Ahh, nice!! Thanks Dave. This thread is becoming awesome. So obviously there is the newest GM alternator. I like the look of the CS-130D over the CS-144. I prefer this 244 alternator for looks since it looks like a CS-130D. I may have ordered a 200 Amp AD 244 had I known about this about a week ago if it would fit as a replacement for the CS-130D. The thing is, I don't know if this AD-244 will bolt in place of a CS-130D/CS-144.

Post More 130 to 144 case upgrade info 
http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130d_cs144_trk_suv_upgrade.htm

I located a link to NJCKZ71's origional post on this, but the link appears to be broken. Here it is for others to try. Maybe James B can bring it forward somehow.

http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/messages/110636.html

I guess alternatorparts.com has become quite popular.

A name you almost never hear anymore is "Powermaster" alternators...

Here is the page for the "Extreme" alternators. You know me, more is better.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/Extreme%20Duty%20Dual%20Rectifier%20CS-144%20type.htm

Post Re: More 130 to 144 case upgrade info 
Pecos wrote:
...I located a link to NJCKZ71's origional post on this, but the link appears to be broken. Here it is for others to try. Maybe James B can bring it forward somehow...

I can't unfortunately. We had a heap of great information in there, but that's the old system.

peace
Hog

Mine's a 1999 LT, not a Limited. Mine came with a factory tow package, Homelink, full power passenger seat, and 3.73:1 gears and the 140-amp alternator. I have found that many 99's came that way. It did not have running board on it from the factory. I added those when my grandparents came to visit. What made mine weird is the paint and interior combination. 90% of green Chevy's have tan interior.

Hog wrote:

peace
Hog

Mine's a 1999 LT, not a Limited. Mine came with a factory tow package, Homelink, full power passenger seat, and 3.73:1 gears and the 140-amp alternator. I have found that many 99's came that way. It did not have running board on it from the factory. I added those when my grandparents came to visit. What made mine weird is the paint and interior combination. 90% of green Chevy's have tan interior.

Sorry James, the wheels threw me off.

Those are the Ronal front 16's, and rear 17's , the 16's came stock on the Limited Tahoes correct, were they an option on your 1999??

A set of those would bolt nicely onto my truck. I wish they could come in 17 x11" with a 6.5" backspace.

peace
Hog

Yeah Pauly, the original set of 5-lug wheels were the same cast aluminum common ones you see on all years of 5-lug 2WD Tahoes. The first set of 16" Rims I bought for it were take-offs from a 2000 Tahoe Limited. They are 16x7" and 5-lug. I still have a non machine-faced version pair of those rims on the front. In the back I have a pair of 17x8.5" rims of the same style. These are the 5.5"x6 lug bolt pattern. Both 16 and 17 accept the same Bowtie center caps. The 17's are only available in the 6-lug pattern and the 16's are only available in the 5-lug pattern. Since that's how my lugs are set up right now it actually works.

The Ronal 5-spoke Rims on the 2000 Tahoe Limited were never an option on any other vehincle GM has ever sold in any other model year. They were unique for only that exact Tahoe.

Post Alternator plug 
I tried the 144 amp not sure which one. the guy at napa said it would fit and yes it did bolt up the only problem was the plug was more square and the one on my 98 3500 more rounded has 3 or 4 plugs but only one wire. The 144 had 4 plugs and was more square shaped than the one on mine and I could not get the plug to go into the socket. Seems like the man from napa may have given me the wrong one does anyone know which one I need? There is way more info on those links than I can understand did not realize there was that many different ones out there. Thanks for all the info

Post Alternator plug 
Oh by the way it is the 5.7L vortec in the truck

Yes, you must change the plug to make it work. You can either get a factory replacement pigtail, get one from salvage and splice it in, or get an adapter like this. Not a big deal to do. You should have gotten one for your year model truck, there is no difference in capacity between the older and newer ones, but the newer trucks have specialized computer controls for the alternator to improve fuel economy by shutting off the alternator when the battery is fully charged and allowing the vehicle to operate only off the battery. It will allow the alt to charge when the engine is decelerating, or under low load conditions, but is supposed to turn it back on if the battery reaches X percent of charge.

The GMT800 alternator works and is higher amperage. No wiring adapters needed.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1