RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
TOGs are cracked..
Post TOGs are cracked.. 
I don't know of anyone else who's cracked a set of these. It figures. No sooner do I get the exhaust finished and sounding as sweet as I want it to the passenger side starts to pitter-patter. It's especially bad when cold and the crack is inside the collector. Of course that means fixing it will require cutting the collector off and then welding it back on with precisely the same alingment so I don't disrupt the rest of the exhaust fitment.

On second thought, to hell with that...

I'd rather install new ones.

These are Ceramic-Coated Hooker Super Comps. 1.75" tuned and balanced primaries, 3" collector. I will install O2 bungs, EGR, and A.I.R. fittings myself.

Obviously these are not smog legal. I know this and will therefore make the necessary repairs to the TOGs after these are on.
It's a bummer I had to spend money on a FOURTH set of headers for this truck, but these will definately outperform everything else. The exhaust just might sound nicer too since they're balanced.

I need some stubby cats.

Sucks! but at least the upgrade is awesome.

I have been deciding whether I want to go with LTs or not and weld them up to accept the air and egr. I was gonna go with TOGs but I believe they went out of business. Do you think I can take off the CARB plate off of my JBAs and weld them on the LTs and make the smog guy believe they are legal. haha.

How do you weld the fitting with the coating in the header? Do you take off the coating in the area where you are going to weld the fittings? I know nothing about welding.

Never asume that your smog guy is a moron. They have a lot at stake to let something through, in California at least. They can be PERSONALLY fined, stripped of license, etc... These guys know exactly what they are looking at in terms of exhaust. That is why I will have my TOGs as a backup.
As for my Marine Intake Manifold, that looks stock. Let's hope everyone thinks so.

To modify coated headers you have to grind the coating off VERY carefuly. It chips.

Last edited by James B. on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
I know, I wouldn't risk something like that. Last time I got a smog check, the guys said he wasn't going to pass me because I didn't have my airaid intake CARB sticker. But I convinced him that I that I have it back home and he let it slide.

I have the worst combination when it comes to headers. AIR injection, 4wd, and being CARB legal.

Those are very nice headers James. They are Hooker 2806 Super Competition Headers. These will work very nicely on your setup. That Limited of yours just keeps getting better and better.

Brand: Hooker Headers
Product Line: Hooker Super Competition Headers
Header Material: Steel
Header Finish: Ceramic coated
Header Style: Full-length
Primary Tube Diameter (in): 1.750 in.
Collector Diameter (in): 3.000 in.
Tuned: Yes
Primary Tube Length (in): 32 in.
Primary Tube Gauge: 18-gauge
Collector Attachment: 3-bolt flange
Cylinder Head Port Shape: Oval
Flange Style: Standard
Flange Thickness (in): 0.313 in.
Bolts/Studs Included: Yes
Gaskets Included: Yes
Reducers Included: No
Y-Pipe Included: No

Do you plan on putting cats directly on the collectors? Just so you know, on my Hooker Comps I am running dual 2 1/2 cats that are basically in the same location as the stock cats were.

If you want a durable cat, I might look into a set of 3" cats off of the 6.0/8.1 HD trucks. They are a nice stout looking cat. I have had the best luck with stock cats when compared to aftermarket cats.
Cats lightoff at 700 degrees F, EGT's are 1050-1300 degrees depending on how lean the tune is.
If you have them in the stock location, just remember to stagger them so the headpipe length is about equal for both sides.
The LT1 and LS1 engines have cats right off of the manifolds though, so you will probably be allright with cats right off the collectors. Light off times will be nice and short that way.

Here is the price of the cats
CATALYTIC CONVERTER, All Models, 6.0L, 8.1L, Federal 03-05 $354.29
CATALYTIC CONVERTER, All Models, 6.0L, 8.1L, California, Right 03-05 $354.29
CATALYTIC CONVERTER, All Models, 6.0L, 8.1L, California, Left 03-05 $364.31

From here http://www.gm-auto-parts.com/parts.htm
Cali cats are expensive

Random Technology also makes an excellent cat, but are expensive
http://www.randomtechnology.com/index.html

"Random Technology catalytic converters actually have a higher flow capacity than many mufflers. As an example, a 3" diameter 9000 series SuperStainless converter flows 502 cfm. Most 3" diameter high performance mufflers flow less than 475 cfm at the same test pressure. Custom catalytic converters with inlets and outlets up to 4" in diameter are available. ***Choose Metallic or Ceramic honeycomb construction to match your OE converter.""""

Here are some Magnaflows(I cant remember which brand you had problems with). There are some HIFLOW_HGH capacity cats in here with 4" in/out and 5" in/out for trucks., thats HUGE.
http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_results.asp?PAGE=1&txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=48&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&btnSearch.x=12&btnSearch.y=7

peace
Hog

post some pics of the craked TOG's when you get them off, I would like to see them, just for reference.

The new Headers look good. That drivers side is going to be tight getting around the trans & between the fuel tank.

Boosted

Are most headers not balanced? NO way to get Hooker to add the O2's for ya?

no, most headers are just there to serve a purpose. some are close, but that is only because of luck. there is a lot of time and design involved in making a set of tuned headers.

for legal reasons, i'm sure, there is no way they would put emission "crap" on an off road header. thats why most manufacturers have the factory "bolt on" style shorty, but they suck - IMO.

i think, if you can get the bungs welded up correctly and look good (TIG), you should be able to fool some inspectors - BUT, it is good idea to have a back up plan.

hmmm, wonder how hard it would be to get my turbo setup CARB approved??

James, you could always take the plates off of your TOG headers and weld them to the new headers, thus making your new headers 50 state legal (well, not really, but the EO # would be there). Or you could fabricate some new ones. Wink

Post Long tube headers.... 
Now your cookin'

Post Need Hooker header help/advice 
I have a set of Hooker Super Comp Headers I bought off eBay. Supposedly they are never installed floor model 2806-1hkr. I have ripped everything out to install these, but alas I can't get them to fit. I read the instructions, but that hasn't helped. Has anyone successfully installed 2806-1hkr's on there GMT400? First problem is I don't have the box or paperwork to ensure I have the right part "as advertised". Please help!

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/500/520/520-2806-1.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjhyaSk4fTLAhVKvoMKHbzGBBUQFggZMAA&usg=AFQjCNGa0eJbFceKUxJNiJOLvqu5qscbFQ

I always thought that you needed to jack the engine a bit to install the 2806-1hkr , my 24621hkr's werea tight fit.

peace
Hog

You will also most likely need to remove the steering shaft. Keep the steering wheel locked, because when the shaft is disconnected the wheel can spin round and round, and will break the wiring harness for the horn, airbag and any steering wheel controls you may have. You may have to install one side from underneath and the other from the top.

When I put the 383 in my truck, I had the motor bolted in place when I put the headers on. The left side was easy but the right side I just had to do a little twist and they went in place. I came up from the bottom not the top. Never had to remove steering shaft either. Mine headers were Hedman elites.

Post Son of a ....... 
So it turns out what I received was in fact the 2131-1hkr. Pretty, but this is not a 67-69 Camaro! Truck has been down two weeks and now I have to get different headers. Better get at least some money back. I'll keep you posted.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1