RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Wanting out of electrical trade, return to auto mech.
The office manager at work explained that the general contractor had been paid $12,000 for our work on this job and withheld it. The job has been finished at this particular place at least a month ago. Somehow they found that the owner of the building paid the contractor and the contractor has been sending in checks weekly for a few hundred. I am not blaming my boss at all, I am just saying that he is not making payroll.

I am going to try and find a job tomorrow..went looking today but no luck.
I did go to Firestone but the manager was not there.

TRADE SCHOOL???? Vo-tech? Hmmm..problem is I dont think I could make enough money and go to school at the same time to be able to pay the $500 a month for the truck i got. would be tough for me.

Going to see if I can get that done in some way.. maybe get Manpower to pay me while in school.

funny you say that speeder, originally I wanted to go to the naval academy and fly (yes I had the grades, political pull, and physical ability to make it in) but when we went to the see the academy I fell in love, but they wanted perfect vision, which I don't have I'm somewhere around 20/200 uncorrected. They didn't want glasses, contacts, or even laser surgery to fly. If they saw scars on your retinas you were automatically disqualified. But hey who could pass up an opportunity for a 25 million dollar hotrod with guns, missles, the ability to black/white you out and being paid to push this thing to your bodily limits. Besides think of all the ass I could pull with that uniform.

Man, I guess I was just totally depressed and had no self esteem as a kid. I wanted to be a truck driver, and drive across the country all the time. (I still think big trucks are totally cool) A few years later I decided I liked fixing things... thought about boat mechanics (too seasonal) then saturn mechanic (then the cars started to suck) then chevy mechanic. The mercedes gig popped up while I was at UTI. More education for free? Sign me up! I got a somewhat advanced position at the dealer and worked my way to what I am now. Things fell together pretty well, and I really enjoy it most of the time. Overall I believe it a better fit for my personality. Sometimes when I want to screw with my boss I tell him my real long job title: Master, diagnostic, lead, and roadside technician, technical contact, and all around good guy. Plus if all goes well I will also be the SLR technician should my dealer participate in that.
BTW, my curiousity has got me wondering.... What sort of insurance do you have to carry? Is it for the buildings and vehicles? Or is it something specific to the business you are in? I don't know much about your industry, but I did visit the funeral museum in houston while I was there! Twice! Its just like most things I come across that I don't know anything about, I try to learn as much as I can about it, but there seems to be little information available to the general public.

Post Steve, check the Army anyway 
If you meet all the other requirements you might be able to get a waiver on the eyes. You wouldn't be flying fighter jets but once you got in and got some rank you could probably pull a transfer to fly fighter choppers. I'm working on going warrant right now, if I can swing that I'll be trying to transfer to aviation maintenance, then from there into piloting. And, according to my dad if you already have a pilot's license they will almost waiver you in if you are missing an arm. Waivering laser surgery on the eyes would probably not be a problem at all. I can't swing flying lessons right now, but if I get laid off I'll be running, not walking to the unemployment office to be retrained as a commercial pilot at the state's expense, then off I go to the regular army as an aviation warrant.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2