RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Wanting out of electrical trade, return to auto mech.
Post Wanting out of electrical trade, return to auto mech. 
I am tired of electrical work. I want to do mechanic work again. Electrical work for 20 years has really gone flat for me. Yeah, they pay me about $22 an hour and I have to work hard, which I dont mind, i m just tired of it.
Its been exactl 20 years since I did mechanics full time. Sure, when i was laid off as electrician, i did mechanic work for sometimes as long as a year. However, it was just not paying enough working for the old man.. Now he's gone and I am going to try and get back into mechanics.
Dont know diddly about fuel injection and only did one set of CV-joints in my life. Hate front wheel drive but it beats doing electrical work any day.
Anyone have any cautions to throw my way... who shouldn't I work for.. what about Firestone, and the others.. how about the lube places..do they pay? Are the dealers flexible with time off.. ???/
Any suggestions would be fine..and umm. i dont expect to make $22 an hour doing mechanic work.

Post ARE YOU NUTS! 
You gotta be kidding. What kind of electrical work do you do? I can understand if you pull underground cable or splice damaged underground telephone lines. I am an Anheuser-Busch Brewery maintenance production mechanic\machinist. It's a great job but I can't wear the white sneakers and t-shirts the electricians do.
You want to bust knucles and grease up?

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!

white sneakers.. they are forbidden on the job, man!!!
We have to have at least a one inch raised heel.. they dont require steel toe.. but cant wear sneakers out there.
Yeah.. i do construction electrical work.. heavy stuff..
Mechanic work is not new to me..its been a while thats all. Electrical work requires me to work with a bunch of dummies.. every company has its punks. There are a few of us who are journeyman and I am the youngest at 39 years old. I get the hardest work and they dont push the other guys. It's like that with every company..just too long.. i have lost interest in the work. Used to thrill me to walk away from a completed building that was once sand.. no more. It just lost its shine.

Mechanics always been my interest. Family had a auto mechanic business and a motorcycle repair business. Other that football, and fishing..thats about all we talk about.

tim

Is it the union protected dummies that bother you?

I used to design industrial controls (robotics, factory automation, process control, etc) and think that is the kind of electrical of which you speak. Switch panels, contactors larger than size 1, 500mcm wire, 1,000 amp breakers, etc...right? Lay in the conduit before the pour, pull and install after the pour, right?

You get into some weird places and equipment. Or should.

Maybe look at some custom contractors that do work out of the area. I used to have crews installing (controller & computer side) all over the country and world. Had one guy almost get shot up by a fighter with 50 cal machine guns. Those panels came back with 1 inch dia holes clean through FOUR 10GA steel panels, which had electrical component on them. Another (a gal) "took" care of most of the "guys" at one ski area (big boobs seems to be the only thing to some guys), she installed and set up 5 ski lifts in one resort. ETC, etc.

I've had two get killed out on jobs. One guy fell off of the Trident dry dock (about 20 stories high buildings). Not supposed to be alone and the tool box should have been roped up, not carried. Other got impailed (sp?) by a 50 foot, red hot 8" dia steel pipe. That one was a puzzle, as his safety lock was still on the breaker, so someone had by passed and powered up the safety barriers.

We tried to "touch" some of the wiring and almost got our hands cut off. Union only work. Even to tighten a screw on a terminal block. We learned to "hire" as a contractor one of their union journeyman and "he" was allowed to touch anything.

Anyway, take a look at that type of electrical work. This kind of work does require steel toed shoes... Smile That min 1 inch heel is for climbing ladders and iron bar ladders welded on. Can't slip and go through as easily.

I'm a bit harsh because I've been laid off over 3 years now. They don't like to hire anyone over 50 and say too much experience (Program Managment & Business Development). I'm also a card carrying Journyman Butcher from dad's mom'n pop butcher shop days. You are lucky to have a good job.

Post As A Life Long Union Man.... 
... I would like to think you are not stereo typing all union members. There are non union dummies also. Agree?

Post Re: As A Life Long Union Man.... 
ac wrote:
... I would like to think you are not stereo typing all union members. There are non union dummies also. Agree?

Of course and sure thing, plenty of dummies not in the unions too.

As with anything we only remember, refer to the extremes of our experiences.

Post Heh, Heh. 
I think I am refelcting now.

Well, I have done a lot of Walker Duct.. the square underground cable trays. I have done some of the large switchboards and all that.. but basically, I am the one who roughs in MC cable, Pulls the 500 mcms, I am the one that does the heavy work and the roughing in is the worst: I am given a helper with minimal experience and motivation and have to stay ahead of the 30 or 40 mexican drywall boys. Thats not fun.. but really, the work itself is just not something I like to do. Its getting to the point where I personally have to force myself to do the smallest tasks. I am just tired of it. And.. the LAY OFFS.. oh.. well.. you work down in New Orleans for a year then get laid off for six months. I am now going on 2 months and it was supposed to be one week.. and i just got word the boss didnt make payroll for the boys last week.

Yeah, i am happy i got work , i just dont like what i do.

tim

You need a vacation. A truely get away and forget about recharge.

Have you ever tried talking to or trying to "teach" your helpers? Assume they come and go, so no continuity.

Some unions have training. Both for you and has journeyman as teachers. Freebies on both ends, except for some places/unions.

Specialize. If you have enough experience, could you become an esitmator or lead?

We "had" to hire some union guys onto our crews out at job sites. Once we figured out which was which, we asked for certain guys/gals back. Those were the ones who wanted to learn about computers back in the 70's and 80's.

One of my fondest was in Alabama. Largest robots in the world are there. One guy, Keith, wanted to become a techician, so volunteered to work for us "nut cases" from Calif. Flaming red hair software programers were a sight in the early 80's down there. Red tennis shoes too. Funny story is that 4 of these idiots managed to get smack in the middle of this steel mill with no safety anything. No hard hats. No safety glasses. No nothing but red sneakers and T-Shirts. Forman held them in the computer room in the middle and wouldn't let them out till the rest of the crew brought them approved safety gear. Keith ended up a technician and his own crew the last I heard. Contracting to companies like mine. Too bad US Steel was too far ahead of their curve. Deep sea drilling pipe and one of the largest "unproven" reserves outside of the middle east. It's still there, but don't know if they are drilling now.

Anyway, try to look for interesting stuff to keep your mind in gear till you make up your mind or find a chance to make the move. Your kind of work is dangerous with the mind not there. You could be suffering from burnout and the union and/or company should have medical help and allowances.

Be careful.

Post Firestone 
I have a friend who manages a Firestone store, and he says the company treats him great. I have heard this from others who work at Firestone as well. I know what you mean about being burned out on the job. I am a telecom tech and am bored silly with my gig, but the pay is too good to walk away...and I haven't been there anywhere near 20 years! It's a union gig as well. Good luck in your search.

About being absent-minded due to being bored.. very dangerous. i was knocked unconscious about 4 months ago from a 277 volt circuit. The foreman supposedly locked it out and i had my tester.. the fluke hot stick..and it was dead..the light next to me was off..so two reasons i know it was dead.
As I worked.. somehow one of the painters went in the electrical room wihc was supposed to be secured and the breaker disconnected...he turned it on and i was on that line for what seemed like eternity.. the only reason I got off is because it put me out cold. I hit the floor and laid there for a few minutes..then my heart was rattling. Wasn;t my fault.. but I could have double checked.. but sheesh..there were TWO supervisors standing fifteen feet from me. I got burned pretty bad on my elbow and was stuck in a tight spot surrounded by metal.

Happened before.. people bypass stuff.. u wouldnt believe it. But really, thats not the reason.. I am just disgusted with doing the work. Yeah.. money is good. I make supervisors pay even though I am a journeyman. Non union.

Going to give them two more weeks..if they dont call me back.. i gotta return to work. I will go to Firestone or somewhere like that and see if I can get on.

I also feel if I play my cards right... I will leave on good terms with my boss and i know he thinks highly enough of me to take me back if thats what I choose.
He didnt make payroll Friday..so... they are waiting for a job to open at a Hospital.. entiure second floor renovation.. huge.

Post Bored At Work 
Fortunately, I don't deal with any high voltages or heights. I merely troubleshoot DSL circuits via remote computer diagnostic tools. Working evenings here, I make over $30 an hour. The worst that happens is that I get so bored I have trouble staying awake...or just plain can't focus on the job at hand. At least they allow us to listen to music/radio here again, so that helps a little bit. I usually listen to talk radio on the pc via streaming radio station websites, or pop in a cd in the cd rom drive while I work. The most dangerous work I have done along technical lines was probably TV repair...the high voltage generated is 25 kv+, but very low current. I got a little rf burn one time on my thumb from touching the collector of a horizontal output transistor and ground on a live TV. But you have to really be careful!

Yeah I guess I get careless sometimes and make the assumption that nobody is going to walk in the electrical room and flip the breaker on me...
Cant listen to the radio.. profoundly deaf..runs in family. YEAH.. no kidding.
Tomorrow I am going to Vocational Rehab to see if the lady will take me without appointment and get me a job.
Smile
OHH... my supervisor's father..from the compnay that laid me off.. informed me that for the second week straight.. the boss didnt make payroll. Adios..

Tim, I am an Electrical Contractor by trade. I love my work. I actually enjoy doing rough in house work (sometimes). Sometimes I get tired of it. I hardly work anymore, since I am the boss.

I want out of my business. I have an exit strategy now. The bills are too costly to run a sucessful business these days. Too much overhead, red tape, BS, etc.

Your boss is not the only one not making his payrolls. I must say, I'm barly making mine, and most contractors I know are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Even large contractors with 50-100+ employees are having a hard time with the bills. Too many costs, and your clients refuse to absorb them all. Keeping everything going is very hard. I just had an employee quit last week who is a contractor. He got his license one year ago. I warned him, but he thinks there is $$$ out there. I used to pay him $22/hr. and 6 weeks ago I raised his pay to $25/hr. He works about 50hrs a week, so more than $1,250.00/wk. He bought a new truck and said adios. There is no way he can run an entire business, keep himself busy, and make $1,250.00/wk. Not a chance. He even said he is going to keep it small and make less money. I would have stayed and made $25/hr!

Auto mechanics you have a 4 walled business. Easier to keep track of the problems, jobs, employees, money, losses, stealing, etc. But, you have to get greasy, put your hands in tight spaces, fight rusted bolts, etc. More grunt work, less driving around, less wasted time.

All in all, the economic structure is the real problem. We are NOT helping the employees with benefits, healthcare (me and everybody I know is WITHOUT HEALTHCARE). I cannot afford it right now. Neither can any of them. Gas prices are putting us poor people in worse poverty. You might not be sick of your job, maybe you are sick of working all day to fund the US Govt.

I'm also looking to pack in my business as well. my insurance has DOUBLED since 01 with same amount of vehicles, and one less building to insure. My work load has cut in half, and the neighborhood is younger (more immigrants) with less than 8% of the local population over 65. Thats why I'm seriously planning on selling the real estate of the funeral home, and reinvesting it and getting some sort of gov't 20 year pension backed job with benefits. I'd have a substantial income from the real estate, and pick up benefits in the meantime. I'm also debating going back to school but thats probably not happening. I was a slacker at 18 in college, I'm not gonna be any better at 25. All of the local old time businesses in my area are going under, its almost scary. Hopefully this economy takes a turn upward sometime soon.

The working class is going to have a hard time feeding themselves within the next 10 years. That is my prediction. All the comfy $30/hr telecom jobs and such will continue to dry up, as they have been. Back to making minimum wage or $10/hr and if you don't like it and the $750k home price that comes with it...too bad? Confused Wages are NOT increasing. Ask your senators and congressman why. They refuse to up minimum wage because it will pay the immigrants more. Too bad people like myself are working right ALONGSIDE the immigrants, duh! Not like I'm already rich like everybody else.

Lets see. If I make $10/hr after taxes, it will only take me 75000 hours to buy a home! I could build one myself in half that time for 1/4 the cost. If I work 2000 hours per year, it will only take me 40 years to pay off the loan not including interest! HELL OF A DEAL! SIGN ME UP FOR BIG PAYMENTS.

Too many people live WELL WELL WELL beyond their means. It is catching up in the economy.

I'm also looking to pack in my business as well. my insurance has DOUBLED since 01 with same amount of vehicles, and one less building to insure. My work load has cut in half, and the neighborhood is younger (more immigrants) with less than 8% of the local population over 65. Thats why I'm seriously planning on selling the real estate of the funeral home, and reinvesting it and getting some sort of gov't 20 year pension backed job with benefits. I'd have a substantial income from the real estate, and pick up benefits in the meantime. I'm also debating going back to school but thats probably not happening. I was a slacker at 18 in college, I'm not gonna be any better at 25. All of the local old time businesses in my area are going under, its almost scary. Hopefully this economy takes a turn upward sometime soon.

Join the Army, see the world. Free room and board. Women round the world, and you can take one of your cars with you, too. Imagine running the Vette on the Autobahn. I came close to having a Camaro with a 350 to run on the Bahn (had the order placed and the down payment made), wound up having a second kid instead. I rejoined, went into the Guard last December. If I get deployed I'll get a promotion, and my net pay with benefits at that point would be close to what I make now, and my whole family would be covered under the military system. Plus, I get to keep my job. I'm even considering going back to active duty when the kids graduate high school. 20 year retirement possible, 30 years allowable, plus you get a preference when going for government jobs. Play it right and you can have three government retirement checks coming in. I plan to stay in the Guard, or active duty if I go back, for the full 30 years. I shoulda just reclassed to a field I liked, had I done so I'd have been able to retire in just a few years. Instead I wasted all those years.

Y2KLimited wrote:

Join the Army, see the world. Free room and board. Women round the world, and you can take one of your cars with you, too. Imagine running the Vette on the Autobahn. I came close to having a Camaro with a 350 to run on the Bahn (had the order placed and the down payment made), wound up having a second kid instead. I rejoined, went into the Guard last December. If I get deployed I'll get a promotion, and my net pay with benefits at that point would be close to what I make now, and my whole family would be covered under the military system. Plus, I get to keep my job. I'm even considering going back to active duty when the kids graduate high school. 20 year retirement possible, 30 years allowable, plus you get a preference when going for government jobs. Play it right and you can have three government retirement checks coming in. I plan to stay in the Guard, or active duty if I go back, for the full 30 years. I shoulda just reclassed to a field I liked, had I done so I'd have been able to retire in just a few years. Instead I wasted all those years.

but I have a real bad problem with authority figures....I'm actually thinking about the state police, took the test a while back, bombed the real test (half the score was personality, I had a perfect score on the practice test).......but even with my score my buddy said I'll hear from them in a year or so. He has just about 2 years in now and is finally getting comforable and enjoying the job, was even talking about picking up a side job for extra dough. 2 years in (3 years off top pay) he's making 70-80 with overtime before taxes. With benefits, pension etc. If I can turn the real estate of my funeral home into something that makes me a substantial income, back it up with a real job that I only ahve to put 20 years into, get a carry permit (which is impossible in NYC), freedom to drive as fast as I want.....how can I pass it up. The fact that an inlaw of mine is 2nd in command of the local post helps a bit too..

who knows....too many ifs and maybes in the equation for now, but we'll see.

Post Cool! 
Nothing wrong with being a cop, as long as you aren't a little guy with a chip on his shoulder. Still, if you can't make it in consider the military. If you went Air Force you could maybe fly fighter jets, which make your Tahoe look like a Yugo running on 2 cylinders. And, only your base pay is taxed. Any other money they pay is considered an allowance and is not taxable, like money they pay you to live and eat off base. And, should you develop a disability your pension starts getting a percentage as tax-free. When I was in I was bringing home about 35 grand as an E5 but being taxed on something like 14 grand, AND that was on top of the 3 bedroom townhouse I lived in on post. My dad's got a 20 percent disability because he has diabetes, for example, and he developed it about 2 years ago. He retired in 1977. He's had a few jobs over the last few years, but hasn't really needed to work. For the last 10 years, he has pretty much just done what he wanted.

Oh yeah, all personalities welcome. That was one of the reasons I got out, but then I found that the outside world has all the negatives of the military and no job security. Considering you are a mortician, you might be able to make an officer's rank in the medical field if you have a degree, and those guys get all kinds of bonuses and allowances for being in the medical field. Here's the pay allowances

I know the military pay doesn't seem like much on the surface, but a single guy gets room and board provided, and once you get through training it's nomally 2 man rooms for E4 and below, and one man rooms for E5 and above to include all officers corps. Officers get pretty nice rooms to themselves. Until I got married my entire paycheck went to amuse myself as I had no expenses whatsoever. And did I mention the full hobby shop that you have access to on base? Welding gear, plasma torches, lifts, hell the Ramstein FRG hobby shop had an overhead electric engine jack that rode a steel beam from bay to bay.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next