RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Fix a fan shroud
Post Fix a fan shroud 
The fan clutch on my 2008 Colorado went out, and I have a set of factory fans off a 2007 Silverado. I've cut one of the fans off the Silverado assembly, and it fits pretty nicely inside the fan hole on the Colorado fan shroud. But here I need some advice -

What should I use to permanently attach the Silverado piece to the Colorado piece? It'll need to be structural type support, not cosmetic, because this will need to be strong enough to hold a spinning, vibrating fan in place while bouncing down the highway. My initial thought was fiberglassing them together, but from what I can tell fiberglass and plastic don't play well together. Thanks for any advice on this, I do have a few other ideas but I figured I'd ask the giant brain first. It's just a work beater and I don't want to put much money into it if I don't have to, but worse comes to worse I'll pony up for a proper fan. I just want to see if I can make this work, as the 2008 Colorado allows for PCM fan control.

I don't have any experience with bonding fan shrouds. But I have bounded plastics before and I used some 3m epoxy, I scuffed up the plastic with sandpaper I think I used 40 or 60 grit on both pieces then I used super glue to position it then coated the seams completely with the epoxy. 3m makes all types of epoxy for different materials and strengths. Keep us posted with what you come up with.

Thanks, I'll look into those and advise the final outcome. I'm also looking at a few other options that will cost money, but want to try this first.

I wasn't able to find the 3M stuff locally, but was able to find JB Weldit (JB) plastic bonder. Their plastic bonding stuff is probably fine for fixing cracks or attaching patches together but it's no good for filling holes as itself as it's way too runny going on. It also gets very hot while curing, hot enough that it went through the tape I was using as a backer.

I wound up using L brackets and bolts to hold the Silverado shroud part to the Colorado shroud. The L brackets, bent to match the different angles, worked well to secure the two different shroud pieces together. The brackets are holding the three pieces (the Colorado has a 2-piece shroud) together securely. The regular JB was strong enough to fill in the holes and seems to be sticking to the shroud plastic pretty well. I was able to use regular masking tape as a backing over the larger holes between the two, and it peeled off the cured JB with no problems. I didn't have enough JB for the whole job, 2 more sets of tubes and it will be done.

It also looks like I'll be able to control the fan with the Colorado computer.

Good to hear it was successful. Fixing plastics is hit or miss for me

Stupid GM, changed the pins between the Gen3 and Gen4 computers. The old ones were round, new ones are square. Now my cache of computer pins is worthless, and my truck is sitting out there needing one stinking wire connected before the fans will run. Parts run tomorrow.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1