RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
LS3 490hp oil capacity
Post LS3 490hp oil capacity 
Just what is the oil capacity on this motor. LS3 490hp stock pan. I’ve got seven quarts in it now and it’s just at the bottom of the hash marks. No where in the paper work that came with it dose it say. If the dipstick is right looks to have eight but I sure don’t want to over fill the motor.
THANKS

Are the dipstick and oil pan the ones that came with the engine? The Gen3 and newer engines take at least 6 quarts and some may take as many as 8-9 quarts. If you have a factory LS3 and a factory oil pan, the specs of whatever car the factory put that oil pan in would tell you what you need. My Tahoe calls for 8.5 quarts, but I think there was a TSB lowering the requirement to 8 quarts.

It's according to pan, look at the pan it should have a gm # on it and Google it's capacity, it's definitely not uncommon for the gen 3 and up 6.2 to take 8qts and possibly more. If the stick came with the pan I would feel safe using the stick as reference

Yes stock pan came with the motor dipstick also. I’ll look and see if I can get a number off the pan. Just never thought that it would take that much oil. Thanks a lot.

That 490hp LS3 is an LS3 with the GEN3/4 version of the old GEN 1E/!! SBC camshaft 219/229 0.525"/0.525"

Anywho, he's the p/n of the oilpan kit that comes with that engine 19212593. It says its 5 quart, filter another quart for 6.

The new mid engine GEN-V SBC DI is running 490hp OEM stock. Those exhaust "headers" Re beautiful.

Driven Racing Oil DL40 0W-40 Synthetic Performance Oil Change Kit 2019 GM Gen V LT1, LT4, and LT5 Engines w/ 10 Qt. Capacity
Part Number: 499-21045K US$139.00

GEN-5 is a 10 quart experience.

peace
Hog

After a lot of looking turns out to be 8 quarts 7 pan 1 filter. Anyway all good motor is running good good a almost 700 miles on it. Weather going to put a damper on much more driving. Thanks a lot for all the help.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1