RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
give me link to best portable generator
Post give me link to best portable generator 
must power house from gas
zoom zoom

What's your expected load? What all do you want to run? Diesel, natural gas or propane? The answers to these questions and more will be answered on the next episode of... Pro.

What's your expected load? What all do you want to run? Diesel, natural gas or propane? The answers to these questions and more will be answered on the next episode of... Pro.

Also, expected run time, pull-start or electric start, etc....

me peak usage = 5kw, says electric company
run whole house
i like gasoline
pull or electric dont care
also need transfer switch

You want a generator to run your entire load at no more than 50 percent capacity. So, you want at least a 10KW generator if your peak load is 5KW. Gasoline is the least desirable fuel for this, diesel is best for liquid and natural gas is best if you have it. A diesel with the same size fuel tank won't need refilling nearly as often as a gasoline generator will. Honda is supposed to make an efficient, quiet, reasonably priced generator, but I've never actually had one so this is hearsay.

My knowledge comes from whole minutes (a whole LOT of them) of internet research into sticking a generator in a car to run an electric motor, which I've decided against doing. Determined I would need a generator capable of producing 50kW to do what I wanted, which would stick up out of the hood a bit too far.

but also i c diesel generators = wet stacking
if not used in a goodly manner

My knowledge comes from whole minutes (a whole LOT of them) of internet research into sticking a generator in a car to run an electric motor, which I've decided against doing. Determined I would need a generator capable of producing 50kW to do what I wanted, which would stick up out of the hood a bit too far.

You still wouldn't have a electric car because you'd need fuel for your generator, however I suspect the the generator would burn less fuel to travel per mile than a engine would for said vehicle, but how many miles would you have to drive it to be ahead of the cost spent to convert the vehicle?

How do you figure what size generator is needed to run your entire house?

How do you figure what size generator is needed to run your entire house?

Total your loads. Or look at your average load based on your power bill and work it out to a daily/hourly usage rate.

Most generator sites have a listing of "usual" loads that certain appliances generate, so you could use that to figure out your base.

I figure mine with lights, refrigerator, one burner on the stove top (208V), the blower motor (208V) for the furnace (gas heat), washing machine, and the electric dryer on low. Around 7.5 kW for mine, but not all loads are running at the same time.

generator = 30 amp breaker
that mean even if generator is 12kwh, u only get up to 30 amps
so, AC is on, go turn on stove, flip

Speeder wrote:

You still wouldn't have a electric car because you'd need fuel for your generator, however I suspect the the generator would burn less fuel to travel per mile than a engine would for said vehicle, but how many miles would you have to drive it to be ahead of the cost spent to convert the vehicle?

My intended goal was to prove my long held opinion that a serial hybrid could be made that could run 10 second quarters and get 100MPG. In the 1970s, folks were making serial hybrids that could get as much as 75MPG with a top speed of 55MPH on level roads, using 1950s technology. These were 36V systems, lawn mower engines and jet starters kind of stuff. I couldn't get as far as calculating the break-even point because I couldn't get to a workable solution to the problem. It was never to go all-electric, although such a setup could easily be converted once the storage problem is cracked.

But, I don't want to hijack Pro's thread anymore, so if you wish to continue the discussion start a new thread.

u know what sucks
generator = 30 amp breaker
that mean even if generator is 12kwh, u only get up to 30 amps
so, AC is on, go turn on stove, flip

Sounds like you're looking at a campground or job site style generator, that has a standard household style plug box that you plug directly into. Probably not the best setup for a home generator. But, you should be able to rewire it with a single circuit breaker (I'd make it a 100 amp for a 12kW generator) since it's being plugged into your house via a transfer switch. You don't want the generator circuit breaker to pop during a surge when your appliances start. Plus, the circuit breakers that are powered during the outage will correctly protect everything.

While I'm all for going do-it-yourself whenever possible, this is one place I'd get a professional electrician in to set it up for you. Screw it up and you can kill a lineman, or burn your house down.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1