RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Tuning out Passlock - has anyone done it on 1998-1999 V8?
Post Tuning out Passlock - has anyone done it on 1998-1999 V8? 
I have some intermittent starting issues. It has to do with the ignition switch - sometimes dash lights don't come on for about 2 seconds and then when they do, the security goes off as it supposed to and stays off.

I wonder if this could be Passlock related, but even if not, I want that thing out of there. I had this vehicle for almost 20 years and I plan to keep it hopefully for the rest of my life, so sooner or later I expect Passlock to give me problems.

So can it be tuned out of the PCM?
I'm looking for a method without cutting or splicing wires. Or can I simply install a pre Passlock year 1997 PCM? Would that not give me problems at the SMOG check?

IIRC, tunercats has it. I'll have to check later today though....

Should be the same as my daughter's old 2000ish Malibu, and Playtoy18 turned the Passlock crap off for me with his Tunercat. EFI Live won't talk to the BCM, although they are supposed to be getting into the BCM business. The cutting you are talking about just involves cutting two wires and connecting them with a resistor, not a big deal. It was my second choice for disabling Passlock on that car.

Tunercat can remove the VATS from the PCM then it shouldn't have any issues starting unless your ignition switch actually goes bad and doesn't send a signal to the starter relay but that would be a different issue than the security.

I see TunerCat offers different configurations, so I just eMailed them to find out the right one for this task. Hopefully I can get away with a setup that is not too expensive as this is really the only application I intend to use it.

Tunercat was cool and promptly responded. The program that I need is their OBDII Tuner program, but they said they don't sell that one any more. Instead they directed me to some vendors, who apparently (if I understood correctly) use their program (?) or their program core (not sure). I checked one of those vendors and with $575 it is a bit steep for me. So I decided to look for ways to pay someone to do it for me.

I also found this 2x helpful videos, that explain pretty good what is going on (disclaimer: these turn out to be product sales videos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18oN-LwL7jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tUw-F-uWQs

You can mail your PCM to places that will remove it for you for a fee, alternatively you could mail it to a member here that has tunercat and will do it for you for probably less of a fee.

We’ll get it fixed up.

Great, Thanks playtoy, always nice to help another member out. Sucks TC sold to Jet. Jet can take a hike in my book. I understand the sale, at least TC can still provide us lucky owners with new files!!

It is high time for me to chime in and thank big @playtoy_18 for his quick help. He acted very quickly and set me up with a PCM with VATS-delete, which works perfectly. I had it installed for while now. Today I was even able to fully test the VATS-delete part of it, as I'm in the process of changing my ignition switch. I ran the truck with both Passlock connector plugs disconnected. Laughing So it ran and on even without any security dash light what so ever.

The 'bad' news for me that my original intermittent starting issue did not seem to be Passlock related after all. Instead now I think I have an intermittent issue with the ignition switch. So I'm currently working on it. The problem is that the damn thing of course fails intermittently and so it is so much harder to locate and confirm the fault. I already had ignition switch failure once, at about half the miles+age of where the truck is now, so this could be a sequel. However back then my symptoms were different.

I stopped work at the moment which isn't convenient as the truck is supposed to be my primary driver. The (cheap) replacement no-name switch that I just received, seems to be even of cheaper quality than the otherwise already cheap original. So I just ordered an AC-Delco brand switch and a ($$) OEM steering column kit as I managed to break some tabs of the old one (it is almost impossible not to break any tabs).

Either way, main thing Passlock is now bye-bye – one less thing to worry about – MANY THANKS to @playtoy_18 !

I’ll keep this thread updated as my work progresses.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1