RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Nitrous
Post Nitrous 
Maybe someone can help me. I'm trying to figure out how much nitrous I can run on a stock bottom end 355sbc. Has upgraded cam, '74 350 cast iron big valve heads, wiand G-unit intake and a 850 quickfuel carb. Bottom end has cast crank with flat top 4 valve relief pistons. Want to run nitrous and didn't forge the bottom end while I was building it the first time. Figured I would run it till it melts something and then go back and do it right. Want to run the biggest shot I can but still be able to get more then one pass on it. Any advice or info is appreciated thanks.

The biggest thing is what are your rings gaps it's more important than the rotating assembly, if your rings have enough gap and you have a good tune, fuel pressure timming colder plugs ect. and you don't spray it @ a low rpm you can spray a fat 300-350 and your engine will last , but like I said if the rings are to tight a 100 shot can break the ring lands off the pistons also if it's lean a small shot will burn a piston, also I don't know how your controlling timming but it's important, the kind of kit you use also plays a role in how much you can spray example you can't spray a 250 with a cheap kit that has tiny solenoids ,if you put big jets in & have to little solenoids you are going to break something, if you don't have much experience I would buy a good kit or build a nice kit that's capable of 500 and start with a150 and try it and read your plugs and gradually go up till your satisfied but if you don't have a nitrous cam it makes no sense to keep going up because it's not going to keep picking up if you have a na cam about a 200 will get maximum results

It has a lunati nitrous cam in it. And I can't remember what the rings ate gapped at. Might put new rings in and regap them. What should I gap them at for nitrous?

You don't need new rings just check and file what you have. If you are driving it some and not a race only engine I would file top .028 and second .032 if it's a race only engine and going to spray multiple stages or a 400 or bigger I'd file them a few more thousands

Last edited by Bushwacker on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Engine Masters play with nitrous on stock engine

And blow the engine due to ring gap

https://youtu.be/AScojLj139A

Post Re: Nitrous 
1990chevyswb wrote:
Maybe someone can help me. I'm trying to figure out how much nitrous I can run on a stock bottom end 355sbc. Has upgraded cam, '74 350 cast iron big valve heads, wiand G-unit intake and a 850 quickfuel carb. Bottom end has cast crank with flat top 4 valve relief pistons. Want to run nitrous and didn't forge the bottom end while I was building it the first time. Figured I would run it till it melts something and then go back and do it right. Want to run the biggest shot I can but still be able to get more then one pass on it. Any advice or info is appreciated thanks.

As you are limited by cast crank (assuming stock rod and cast or hyper piston), maximum safe n2o limit is 100 HP.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1