RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Sometimes it starts?
Post Sometimes it starts? 
98 Chevy K1500 4x4
I've had this truck alittle over a year, besides the brakes never had engine or starting problems till now.
The other morning about 20 degrees out, it would turn over but didnt want to start right away. It finally started and was fine. Then when I got to work, I shut it off. Came back out about 3 hours later to move it and it did same thing, turned over but didnt want to start but eventually did. 5 hours later got in it to go home started right up.
I pull in my drive, stopped to go into reverse to back in parking spot, then it died. Tried starting it it wouldnt start, will crank all day. Did see alot of white smoke coming out of tail pipes(gas?) did smell alittle gas, like flooding, but its throttle body. So went back out about an hour later to try and move it, it took alittle time but it started.
So any ideas?

Sounds like fuel pump check and see if you can hear the pump in the tank coming on when you turn the key on if so check and see what the fuel pressure is

Sounds like fuel pump check and see if you can hear the pump in the tank coming on when you turn the key on if so check and see what the fuel pressure is

I can hear the fuel pump come on when turn key on, plus I would assume the white smoke coming out of tail pipe would be gas fumes. So I was leaning toward spark?

Have you checked spark when it doesn't crank? If no spark it's probably the crank position sensor

Have you checked spark when it doesn't crank? If no spark it's probably the crank position sensor

I havent had a chance yet, but I will check that cause now that I think about it, my 95 camaro did the same, and it was the Crank position sensor.
thanks

I think I'd start with the battery. When the temperature drops, a marginal battery that was working well, no longer will. The flooding will be the engine getting its prime shot every time you try to start, but not being able to burn all the fuel. A low battery will also cause lower fuel pressure, and reduced spark. In any case, I think I'd try a new battery, then go from there.

If you have a battery charger, you can try giving the battery a top-up. If it solves the problem, you'll know for certain.

Went out this morning, starts up fine when its cold.
Let it run till it got hot. Shut it off, and attempted to restart, hard to start , once it does start runs rough like Flooding? So I rev it up then runs fine. so I keep shutting it off and restart and continues to run rough and hard to start, till I rev it up and then its fine. So I dont know?
I assume there is a "check engine" lite, but when I turn key on to see if all dummy lites come on , I dont see a check engine lite. So maybe its burnt out or been dissconnected? I may take it to Oreillys and put it on commputer see if it comes up with any codes?

I think I'd start with the battery. When the temperature drops, a marginal battery that was working well, no longer will. The flooding will be the engine getting its prime shot every time you try to start, but not being able to burn all the fuel. A low battery will also cause lower fuel pressure, and reduced spark. In any case, I think I'd try a new battery, then go from there.

If you have a battery charger, you can try giving the battery a top-up. If it solves the problem, you'll know for certain.

I think theres plenty of voltage, no issues with attempting to crank, powerwise.

Well I replaced the MAF sensor, alot of what I read in other forums lead to that, plus put it on a scanner and it threw that code for MAF sensor.
My question is, it is still doing same thing, so do I need to have codes cleared? Will it work itself out?

It's still doing it because the maf isn't the problem, the codes don't need to be cleared, it's best to clear them to see if it keeps throwing the same code, but codes don't effect performance

It's still doing it because the maf isn't the problem, the codes don't need to be cleared, it's best to clear them to see if it keeps throwing the same code, but codes don't effect performance

Yup you would be correct, cleared codes, and rechecked them. Only showing code for P0118 Engine coolant tempeture sensor 1 circuit high?
Still starts rough, have to hold pedal to floor to start. Doesnt show other codes like it did before, which one was the MAF.

The coolant sensor can cause your problem it thinks your engine is cold when it is actually hot it's pouring the fuel to it before you start because it thinks your engine is cold and it's running ruff after starting because it's still pouring fuel trying to warm it up even though it's already hot

The coolant sensor can cause your problem it thinks your engine is cold when it is actually hot it's pouring the fuel to it before you start because it thinks your engine is cold and it's running ruff after starting because it's still pouring fuel trying to warm it up even though it's already hot

Is there only one coolant sensor to replace?

Well, I believe that fixed it. Replaced the coolant sensor, and starts like she used to, no rough idle or start!
thank you Bushwacker!

Great I hope that has you fixed, you changed the sensor that is in the thermostat housing it's what tell the ecm the temperature of the engine and the sensor that is on the side of the head is the one that reads the temperature hand

Great I hope that has you fixed, you changed the sensor that is in the thermostat housing it's what tell the ecm the temperature of the engine and the sensor that is on the side of the head is the one that reads the temperature hand

Yes I changed the one at thermostat, maybe I should replace the other cause my gage reads lower than what it should.

unplug your MAF and start it - see how it runs....

unplug your MAF and start it - see how it runs....

why? I dont have any issues anymore

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1