RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Tahoes and transmissions
Post Tahoes and transmissions 
Does anyone know what year the Tahoe/Yukon started coming with the 8 speed auto trans as the base transmission? We're going to get rid of the Charger and the wife wants to replace it with another SUV. The Charger is a nice car and has a fair amount of power, but it's difficult to travel in when you have to take a wheelchair with you as it takes up the entire trunk. I never wanted another SUV again, but circumstances change.

Also, has anyone heard of a 6 speed to 8 speed swap being done? I'm wondering if it's as simple as bolting it in and doing a segment change and perhaps minimal wiring like a 4L60E to 4L80E swap or if it's a major undertaking. If it's not too difficult then I won't be so picky about the transmission. The 6 speed autos are nice, but I really like the 8 speed in the Charger and if I'm going to be stuck with a full size SUV again I'd like to at least have a transmission that will get it down the road with a reasonable expectation of fuel efficiency when cruising.

Post Re: Tahoes and transmissions 
Speeder wrote:
Does anyone know what year the Tahoe/Yukon started coming with the 8 speed auto trans as the base transmission?
I'm not sure they ever did but late 2017 Tahoe is offering:

"6.2L Performance Package
Available late 2017, Tahoe RST Edition offers the available Performance Package featuring a powerful 420 HP, 460 lb-ft torque 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine,
Hyrdra-Matic 10-speed automatic transmission and Performance Calibrated Magnetic Ride for a seamless blend of power and comfort.
Available with Brembo performance front brake kit and Borla performance exhaust system."
http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-full-size-suv

Yuck. Was seeing stuff on the net indicating that they might have been the base trans starting in 2015, but you know how the internet is. So they're still putting 6 speeds in as the base? Well, guess that won't be too bad, the 6 speed I rented was pretty decent but 2 more gears would be better.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1