RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Adding 0411 ECM to IV BBC
Post Adding 0411 ECM to IV BBC 
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have been on here quite a bit over the last couple of days because this site seems to have the most experience with what I am looking to accomplish. I am hoping someone has some outside the box ideas on how I can accomplish adding a 0411 ECM to run a 72 Chevelle. If you guys are interested I can post pictures.

I noticed on here a lot of you have successfully converted your Vortec 7400's to the new 0411. My issues come from the fact that I am not using a Vortec block but an older BBC.

From my research my plan has evolved from removing parts from a 7400 truck into something a little different (seeing as the timing cover and a few other parts are different from generation to generation)

I have access to a U-Pull it yard. What I would like to do is remove a harness from an express van already setup for the 0411, I ordered a 4L60e for the Chevelle so I plan to get a Camaro ECM off Ebay. I am going to be removing the dual carb setup I have and going to an Edelbrock Pro Flo BBC multiport fuel injection manifold, Barrel Coils from a newer Vortec truck, and a distributor and block off plate from a 96-00 Vortec 7400 to use for cam trigger. My main concerns right now come from the fact that the 0411 uses a 24x reluctor wheel and its a small block. I have a big block and don't know how to locate that 24x. I can't use the Vortec 7400 stuff because the timing cover is completely different.

I am looking for some ideas on how to get this up an running. Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Dan

my opinion: That is a lot of work just to have mediocre engine potential, you'd be way ahead going with a carb LS based engine or go all out EFI. Pull outs are relatively cheap and aftermarket parts are plentiful. That 4L60E wont last very behind a big block or a mild small block. I think you'll need to source an aftermarket crank trigger setup to convert your current big block, but I have never looked into what is available. To run CNP ignition with what your doing, you'll need an ECU segment swap to make it work as the factory Vortec ignition uses the distributor.

Post Re: Adding 0411 ECM to IV BBC 
Danspeed1 wrote:
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have been on here quite a bit over the last couple of days because this site seems to have the most experience with what I am looking to accomplish. I am hoping someone has some outside the box ideas on how I can accomplish adding a 0411 ECM to run a 72 Chevelle. If you guys are interested I can post pictures.

I noticed on here a lot of you have successfully converted your Vortec 7400's to the new 0411. My issues come from the fact that I am not using a Vortec block but an older BBC.

From my research my plan has evolved from removing parts from a 7400 truck into something a little different (seeing as the timing cover and a few other parts are different from generation to generation)

I have access to a U-Pull it yard. What I would like to do is remove a harness from an express van already setup for the 0411, I ordered a 4L60e for the Chevelle so I plan to get a Camaro ECM off Ebay. I am going to be removing the dual carb setup I have and going to an Edelbrock Pro Flo BBC multiport fuel injection manifold, Barrel Coils from a newer Vortec truck, and a distributor and block off plate from a 96-00 Vortec 7400 to use for cam trigger. My main concerns right now come from the fact that the 0411 uses a 24x reluctor wheel and its a small block. I have a big block and don't know how to locate that 24x. I can't use the Vortec 7400 stuff because the timing cover is completely different.

I am looking for some ideas on how to get this up an running. Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Dan

The 0411 only uses the 24x reluctor when its flashed with a GEn 3 SBC, like in the Vette in 2002 and 2003. The 0411 when installed in the 2001-2002 Express vans with the GEN 1E Vortec 350 will have the calibration that runs the 4x reluctor wheel.

I am talking in PM with Bob who has just modified the GEN6 BBC Vortec oilpan to work on a Mark 4 BBC block. Now he just ordered the 98-2000 L21 Vortec BBC 24x reluctor, the L21 crank sensor and is using an aluminum L29/21 front timing cover.

peace
Hog

Hog wrote:
Danspeed1 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Dan

The 0411 only uses the 24x reluctor when its flashed with a GEn 3 SBC, like in the Vette in 2002 and 2003. The 0411 when installed in the 2001-2002 Express vans with the GEN 1E Vortec 350 will have the calibration that runs the 4x reluctor wheel.

I am talking in PM with Bob who has just modified the GEN6 BBC Vortec oilpan to work on a Mark 4 BBC block. Now he just ordered the 98-2000 L21 Vortec BBC 24x reluctor, the L21 crank sensor and is using an aluminum L29/21 front timing cover.

peace
Hog

The 0411 I got is from a 2002 Silverado 4x4. I am assuming I can flash it with 02/03 Vette Segment without a problem? I am considering having a spacer made, changing my balancer and mounting the 24x externally. My plan for the cam sensor is to get a distributor for a 97 Vortec 7400, I believe that is a 1x?

I'm not playing around here... I'm already full bore into this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1874433-bbc-0411-conversion-72-chevelle.html

Thanks,

Dan

I am working with a Gentleman as we speak who may be able to produce a 24x reluctor setup for a Mark IV BBC that will work reliably. He has already created many of these setups for 0411 use with Mopar Engines of all things. I will keep you all posted.

Dan

The 0411 I got is from a 2002 Silverado 4x4. I am assuming I can flash it with 02/03 Vette Segment without a problem? I am considering having a spacer made, changing my balancer and mounting the 24x externally. My plan for the cam sensor is to get a distributor for a 97 Vortec 7400, I believe that is a 1x?

Thanks,

Dan[/quote]

can swap segments between PCM's if the OS's are the same, cam sensor in the distributor is a 1X

Just to recap in regard to the tuning; I have been doing more reading on this and I honesty can't understand why I would need to "segment" swap anything. Maybe someone can explain this to me. Here's my thoughts on the matter.

Assuming since all 0411s are created equal, and pinned the same... any 0411 tune is capable of reading the 1x distributor/cam signal I should be able to run any 0411 tune from any vehicle. I know the 24x reluctor has no bearing on anything. The engine doesn't know that the reluctor is outside of the engine, all it knows it that it is receiving the 24x signal. So... in theory, if the cam signal for the Vortec 7400 is received the same way as the signal on a 2002 Silverado I should be able to run an 02 Tahoe 5.3L L59 12216125 operating system/tune so long as I correct the displacement, update the injectors which will be aftermarket anyway, move over the MAF curve, and spark tables. Both vehicles came with a 4L60e so there is nothing to touch there. Understand that my plan is a full start to finish tune on this vehicle. This is not a plug and play situation. My goal ultimately is to get it dialed in on 93 octane and then E85 (I have a sensor for this). The end game for 2018 is a small centrifugal supercharger pushing about 6-7 psi of boost. Not sure what my compression is, but I have a feeling its high as this was designed as a N/A street engine, but with low boost and E85 I should be able to quench any detonation on the street (running a 160 degree thermostat).

Am I on the right track here, or is there some other reason for running an L31 Tune or swapping segments from an L31 I am missing?

Thanks,

Dan

Just to recap in regard to the tuning; I have been doing more reading on this and I honesty can't understand why I would need to "segment" swap anything. Maybe someone can explain this to me. Here's my thoughts on the matter.

Assuming since all 0411s are created equal, and pinned the same... any 0411 tune is capable of reading the 1x distributor/cam signal I should be able to run any 0411 tune from any vehicle. I know the 24x reluctor has no bearing on anything. The engine doesn't know that the reluctor is outside of the engine, all it knows it that it is receiving the 24x signal. So... in theory, if the cam signal for the Vortec 7400 is received the same way as the signal on a 2002 Silverado I should be able to run an 02 Tahoe 5.3L L59 12216125 operating system/tune so long as I correct the displacement, update the injectors which will be aftermarket anyway, move over the MAF curve, and spark tables. Both vehicles came with a 4L60e so there is nothing to touch there. Understand that my plan is a full start to finish tune on this vehicle. This is not a plug and play situation. My goal ultimately is to get it dialed in on 93 octane and then E85 (I have a sensor for this). The end game for 2018 is a small centrifugal supercharger pushing about 6-7 psi of boost. Not sure what my compression is, but I have a feeling its high as this was designed as a N/A street engine, but with low boost and E85 I should be able to quench any detonation on the street (running a 160 degree thermostat).

Am I on the right track here, or is there some other reason for running an L31 Tune or swapping segments from an L31 I am missing?

Thanks,

Dan

02 5.3 has a different firing order (#7 cyl, #2cyl, #4 cyl and #3cyl swap), you'll need an L31 to run the bigblock..or maybe swap ignition circuits and injectors circuits to compensate for the different firing order.

Assuming that's the only issue, I should be good to go. I'll have to look through hptuners again but I'm pretty sure 0411 ecus from 5.3s have the option to rearrange the firing order in hptuners. Anything else I might run into?

I'll have to look through hptuners again but I'm pretty sure 0411 ecus from 5.3s have the option to rearrange the firing order in hptuners. Anything else I might run into?

you would think that's how it works but it don't, same with the transmission selection drop down...it doesn't really do anything. But it wont hurt to try

Worst case all I have to do is repin 4 injectors at the ecu and 4 coils
.. considering all the other barriers in the way, hopefully that's the least of it. This is probaby going to cost me a few trial and error credits with hptuners.

Dan

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1