RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
L94 Stuck Lifter
Post L94 Stuck Lifter 
Hey guys, I have a 2013 Yukon Denali that has a jammed up lifter. The rocker arm is tapping on the spring making a chattering noise. It's been going on for about ten miles. Caught it super early, got it home, haven't driven it since.

I desperately need to get this car back on the road. I've pulled the valve cover, inspected all the pushrods, inspected the lifters via camera, etc. Only one lifter seems to be he problem. Everything else looks good.

My question is, can I simply pull the head, replace the lifter, put back together, and call it good? Or do I need to completely tear it down to inspect the camshaft?

If the bottom of the lifter looks good the cam will be fine

If the bottom of the lifter looks good the cam will be fine, I wouldn't pull the head to replace the lifter I'd just pull the intake

But You can't get to the lifter without pulling the head right? I know on any other LS style motors you can't.
New head bolts and head gasket for that one side. Exhaust manifold gasket and some antifreeze and in one evening you can see what you need to see and reassemble possibly if it's just a bad lifter.
Good luck man

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Definitely have to pull the head. Do I need to pull the intake too, or can I simply pull the head and make the repair?

Lol you guys are right, I'm sorry I wasn't thinking LS I had l31 on my mind I'm not used to members wanting to know about LSX on this form normally everyone here wants to know about the lt1,l31&l29,
You can remove the head without the intake but when reinstalling it's a little difficult sometimes with the intake not removed, I would remove it because every time I try to save time it'll take me twice as long

OK, what's more difficult about removing the head and leaving the intake in place? I've never torn down an LS to this point and just want to cover my bases and have whatever parts I need on hand

I don't guess it's more difficult, it's just when you go to put the head back on your trying not to scare up the head gasket and make sure the orings for the intake stay in place, when the intake is removed you'll just set the head straight down instead of trying to slide it up in place,

Pull the intake. While it might be possible to get the head off without pulling the intake, it's one of those "why are you doing this" questions. It's just a set of intake gaskets and an inch-pound torque wrench to reinstall. Having installed a few LS engines, I think it would actually be harder to install a head with the intake in place than it would be to just pull the intake off. Besides, while it's off you can clean it out. The EGR kinda fouls up the inside of the intake with oily exhaust.

Hey Jim, yeah, about five minutes into it, that's exactly what I said to myself. I have the intake cracked right now. Can't seem to figure out how to break the fuel lines loose. So, any help there is appreciated.

Taking out the last nut off the exhaust manifold, then I'll have the head off about twenty minutes after that.

So far, it's coming along nicely. New lifter is soaking in oil. Won't have it back together tonight, so will be back at it again tomorrow. Would be nice to have some daylight anyways.

https://youtu.be/DvngvwOy2ns

Got this buttoned up last week. Pulled the lifter, rotated the engine to inspect the camshaft, all looked good. So, I moved forward with cleaning the head, intake, and reassembled everything. Up and running after an oil change and we're good to go!

Nice job. It's good when you can get in and out without finding something else wrong.

Did you replace the oil screen under the lifter oil manifold? Seems to be a huge cause of camshaft failure on these engines

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1