RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Truck surges when hot
Post Truck surges when hot 
Hello everyone. I have a small issue with my truck when it get hot. After I drive somewhere and the truck just sits and idles the rpms surge sometimes. This was very apparent after I upgraded to the spider injectors. I thought that there was a vacuum leak somewhere and I took it to a shop to get smoke tested. Turned out my vapor canister was bad and it was also causing a vacuum leak. Got that issue fixed and it still does it. I also have an issue with the "vortec" air silencer box and just holding on for dear life now and I am wondering if that is the culprit because it does keep sliding back. I did a quick search and found a guy uses a pepsi can to replace the air silencer. Could it be anything else? Anyone heard of this method or have a better method? I will list the link below.

http://www.generationhighoutput.com/96-02-vortec-silencer-box-removal-pop-can-mod/

I'm "assuming" you are referring to a 5.0/5.7l vortec L31 style motor in the GMT400 trucks?
However Any air entering the motor that is not metered through the Mass Air Flow Sensor is not being calculated is going to make the motor surge by being lean. You can put a screw or two through the rubber into the boxes round plastic (close to where the hose clamp crimps and silicone in all together with black RTV and let it sit for a few hours to cure them it will not ever come apart by accident anymore and you retain the stock look rather than a dang rigged looking can.
Fix what you know is broken first.
The EGR can cause similar issues also.

Thanks Stroker. I do have the 5.7L engine and I will do what you have recommended. Wasn't too thrilled about 1/3 of a soda can on my intake. I knew it had to be another way. I will also looking into the EGR if this fix doesn't solve the problem.

Try cleaning or rebuilding the throttle body. It can help also.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1