RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Replacement Leather and Seat Heaters
Post Replacement Leather and Seat Heaters 
I am trying to locate new seat heaters for my 2000 tahoe Z71. The factory attached them to the leather and none of the aftermarket leather comes with heaters installed that I can find. Most tell you to cut the leather from the factory skins and re use the heating pad. Problem is my heating element is shorted out. So I need to find some way of using an aftermarket heating element. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this or not?

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-040-Universal-Seat-Heater/dp/B002U6IL9O
http://www.championseatheaters.com/

Personally, I prefer a cloth seat which needs no heater for the winter and no need for a cooler in the summer. Looks like Katzkin might have what you want, if you want the leather. If you go heated only, you should be able to strip any control circuitry out of the seats, and connect them to the truck's existing wiring. You would have to use the seat's controls to go cooled.

http://www.ceoutlook.com/2014/09/03/aftermarket-heating-cooling-seat-kits-from-katzkin/

My bottom drivers side is torn so I just want to replace the stock stuff and keep it working like factory. The issue is with the seat heater module, I am not sure if aftermarket elements will work with the module

I wouldn't see why not, a heating element is just heavy coiled wire that works like a really long resistor. However, just found this.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-parts/2000/chevrolet/suburban-1500/ls-trim/5-3l-v8-gas-engine/electrical-cat/heated-seats-scat

Yeah I just dont want to be the test pig with all the work involved. I have found some possible info on repairing the element tho.

Also I believe the part you have looked up is for the GMT 800. My hoe is GMT400 style

So I did, my mistake. I didn't think they made GMT400 and GMT800 SUVs during the same year. Should still be able to find the part on the same site though.

Didnt look on the site but pulled my seat friday night to ohm out the heater and just verify. Found my frame was broken anyway. Went to the U pull yard and found a seat with a good frame and heating element, leather is trashed but its got what I need to get going again. Also ordered new leather.

Ha Ha not me, previous owner. Im the guy that looks like he NEEDS a cheeseburger!

Thats all the heated seat module is

This is the heating element from the junk yard seat with the sides removed

With leather removed

There are 4 wires that connect the 3 panels in the pleated area. Once I got my old cover off mine was burnt out in this same spot.

These wherent in much better condition. They are extremely fine braided wire with a silicone insulation. I went to an RC shop and got new wire and soldered. I then glued the batting back to the foam and glued an extra piece of batting on the back side for some abrasion resistance from the velcro on the seat foam.

This is the heating pad after a final trim ready to be re used and placed on the foam.

Heres the new cover purchased from ebay

Aparently the PO thought a door striker was a good way to fix a broken frame.

All stripped down, I steamed the foam to help give some shape back to it. Also the new seat frame

I probably should have bought new foam, Didnt realize it was this bad before removing the leather

So I just did some repair work on it

And just like that, good as new!

Good job good job... take 38 cents out of petty cash.

How did you do the seat back? Was the heater element in the leather as well or was it easier 'removable'.

Sorry, I may have not asked my question clearly.

I meant on the lean back cushion of the seat, was the heating element attached to the leather too or was it just by itself?

I did not replace the leather on the back. I would assume tho that the heater is also sewn in tho.

Wow that's stupid negligence.

Cool huh? Im glad i got a junk yard seat cause that seat frame was bent like crazy

Good job! My heated seat is not working sometimes. Will check it if I have the same problem.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next