RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Attic Project
Post Attic Project 
Guys, need your advice. I have an unfinished attic space that has 2x8 floor joists. House was built in the 1920s. I believe the floor was rated at 30 psf since it had a built in staircase and not a pull down type. It is extremely solid up there - no bounce, wobble, etc.

I am planning on pulling up the old flooring and mounting 2x10 LVL beams so I can meet code. Since the house was built in the 20s, the existing joists are all over the place when it comes to OC. Instead of sistering the LVL beams to the existing joists, I'm thinking of spacing them on 16" OC. What do you think?

Also, has anyone done anything like this before and do you have any tips?

im actually building a house for my mom - inside a 60x40 pole barn.

im using 2x8s for the loft area with 2 layers of 5/8 plywood for floors - completely open and nothing load bearing so kinda apples to oranges....

if you can space out the 2x10 @16" OC to meet code, i dont see why it wouldnt work...

if you can space out the 2x10 @16" OC to meet code, i dont see why it wouldnt work...

I think so too. I'm getting a structural engineer out on Monday so I'll see what needs to be done. Then go to zoning and get the permits and such....

Engineer came out. Looks like I will be able to use the existing joists and flooring as she sits. No 2 x 10s required nor sistering of joists required. That will save a ton of money and labor too. It is because the house is so old, the lumber is actually true to size and made with a premium framing lumber. This is allowing the use of the existing construction and all I have to do is come up with some plans on how we are going to build it out. What a relief that I don't have to take up all the flooring and sister in those joists! Structural engineer services are worth every penny!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1