RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Stock Rims.
Post Stock Rims. 
Went I rebuilt my truck last year, I needed to get a spare rim. The old one was a bit to rusty and the tire itself is almost twenty years old. I stopped at a wreckers and found a spare rim just like the ones on the truck. It was a little corroded .

I picked up some supplies. A brass wire wheel was what I used after removing the clear coat. The corrosion ate into the rim somewhat.

I started sanding with 100 grit paper, then went up to 180 for a bit, going to 220 before jumping up to wet sanding with 400 grit paper, I then used 1000 grit then a sheet of 3000 grit paper.

Up close you can still see where the corrosion was deep. Most of it came out pretty good. I bought a polishing kit to finish off the rim. But first I am going to have to paint the areas that are painted.

Looks good. It's amazing how much work is involved in fixing even the most common things sometimes. Just like polishing these dang plastic headlights on all the newer cars and trucks. Worth it though. Nothing like having the accomplishment of a project completed.

I used the red bar first for the first polishing.

Then I used the white bar to finish the polishing. I really cannot tell the difference.

Then I polished the wheel with mothers aluminum polish.

It hard dirty work. Find a way to automate it and make a business out of it.

I have a customer that has a robot that does this type of cleaning/polishing. It's in a brass factory and these guys make all kinds of fixtures. The robot is programmed to strip, clean, and polish all the parts. Thousands of them though - that's what make the robot cost effective......

CrazyHoe wrote:

I have a customer that has a robot that does this type of cleaning/polishing. It's in a brass factory and these guys make all kinds of fixtures. The robot is programmed to strip, clean, and polish all the parts. Thousands of them though - that's what make the robot cost effective......

They do make a machine just for wheel that strips & polishes any wheels, I seen one in action @ the sema show more than 10 years back, I was interested in the machine but the price was unreal , I'm in a small town I figured I'd never make enough to pay for the machine, I haven't thought about it since, they may be a lot cheaper now.

I know a place that takes your old oem mags and sell you back refurbished ones for less than new

My Uncle does rims. He dunks em in a vat which strips them, then he powdercoats to spec. They come out great. I just had a set done for the Trailblazer/ Brake dust just wipes off.

peace
Hog

Hog is it a ss trailblazer?

No an LS Trailblazer. I cant imagine how my TB would work with another 100hp with the LS2.

peace
Hog

Bushwacker wrote:

No an LS Trailblazer. I cant imagine how my TB would work with another 100hp with the LS2.

peace
Hog

Ha Ha Lol, l bought a ss last year & it's fun for what it is, but it's too heavy!

Hog wrote:
Bushwacker wrote:

peace
Hog

Ha Ha Lol, l bought a ss last year & it's fun for what it is, but it's too heavy!

2wd or AWD?

I see some weights listed as 4815lbs for a 2007 AWD SS

Some of these newer sports cars are topping 4000-4200lbs. The 5th GEN Camaros are about 3750lbs. The 6th GEN 6.2 V8's are 3685lbs, the SS is up to 3760lbs. The 2017 650hp/650lb/ft ZL1 Camaro with the GEN V LT4 is supposed to weigh in at 3875lbs with either the 6 speed manual trans, or the new 10 speed auto. Lotsa first year of production vehicles to avoid buying.

If we want light, we have to splurge and get into the Corvettes, like the 7th Generation C7's. The 2016 650hp/650lb/ft torque C7 ZO6 Coupe weighs in at 3524lbs(226lbs more than the base Stingray coupe), and in convertible form 3584lbs(220lbs more than the base 460hp Stinray Convertible)

But I like the 2004 ZO6 numbers, 405hp@6000rpm pushing 3118 lbs around. The 2004 Z16 Commemorative Edition is even lighter with its carbon fibre hood. SaturnStyl is enjoying the hell out of one of these cars right now. Hard to beat the C5 LS6 powered cars, for affordability, power, power/weight, looks(better than the C6 and C7s imo, and if you snag one of the Z16's you have exclusivity as well. They are listed as 12.4 second 1/4 mile contenders with 3.9 0-60mph cars, but I have seen the time slip of a bone stock 2004 Z16 that ran in the high 11's.
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13368&highlight=z16

So long as I'm babbling about low buck fun cars, I hgave to mention the 1990-1995 Lt5 powered Zr-1. 90-92 375hp@6000rpm/370lb/ft torque@ 4800rpm-1993-95 405hp@5800rpm/385lb/ft torque@4800rpm. DOHC all aluminum V8, designed by Lotus manufactured by Mercury Marine. The use a 3.50" forged steel crank which is sandwiched in between a 2 picece sleevless block with Nikasil cylinder coatings, stock 7200rpm red line, 16 injectors, 2 per cylinder, 4 valves/cylinder, half of the ports feeding the cylinders are closed of via port throttles and when full power is commended, these port throttles open and its secondary injector starts getting pulsewidth command and also the secondary fuel pump kicks in to maintain the LT5s fuel rail pressure of 50.7psi with 16 injectors with IFR's(injector Flow Ratings) of approx. 23lb/hr.
You can get lower mileage pristine examples of 90's and 91's as these were he majority of the cars built. In 1992 it was decided that the ZR-1's last Model Year would be 1995 as OBD2 was to be enacted in 1996. All LT5s were built by 1993 sealed and shipped to Bowling Green and stored there. Then they were installed into cars as the went down the assembly line.
1990=3,032
1991=2,044
1992=502
1993=448
1994=448
1995=448

Engineers did in fact have plans to have an OBD2 LT5 ready for 1996. In fact Lotus even had a hood for the new upcoming 1997 C6 Corvette with a powerbulge that would allow the DOHC LT5 to sit in a C6 Vette. Graham Behan who worked for Lotus, then Chevrolet, then for Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. Got a hold of the 3rd gen OBD2 LT5 parts and built an engine, which will be installed in Kenny Lingenfelter(newer owner of LPE, no relation to Ken Lingenfelter who died Christmas 2003 after fighting for months after a raxecar crash. In the end GM chose the GEN III SBC and the GEN 2 LT5 was cut short at MY1995 and the GEN 3 LT5 was aborted.
Here is a video of the GEN 3 LT5 on the dyno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Z5oOIgv2o

Datalogging
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VddzSQ_op44

Story of the GEN 3 LT5
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/an-enginelabs-exclusive-the-gen-iii-lt5-that-never-was-alive-again/

The only thing about the ZR=1 Vette in its 2nd iteration from 1990-1995 is that the simply awesome LT5 engine is served up in a C4 chassis. It twists and rattles, and the LT5 ZR-1 weighs about 3500lbs, but the car has 17x 11" rims on the back with 315/35/17 rubber and the entire rear of the car is 3" wider to cover that rubber. The original windshields are of a special design to reject heat as the LT5 necessitated a smaller a/c compressor. At the top of these special windshields is a notch where a radar detector would sit. These cars also set multiple speed endurance record of 24 hours, 5000miles, 5000kms etc. The only change was a 3.07 gearset was installed instead of the stock 3:45 gears, and a piece of wood was bolted under the throttle pedal. Here is that story
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Information/PerformanceRecords/WorldRecords.aspx

My 1997 rcsb 1/2 ton weighs around 4000lbs, and the 1994-1996 Caprice Impala SS's weigh 4036 pounds. I used to consider those Impala SS's a portly car.

Sorry for the blathering, but those 1990's car get me all excited n' stuff.

peace
Hog

That's good info, I didn't even know about the 16 injectors & twin throttle bodies. Very Happy

That would be nice to do, but I am not sure how I would charge for doing a set of wheels when I has taken a while on this one. I still have four to go, and those have tires mounted to them with wheel weights. I saw someone else post on Face Book a set of rims he had done for a semi- truck. Holly cows did he get those to shine. Not sure what he did to get them like that.

A lot of truck stops has guys there that polish wheels & tanks they use jewellers rouge on a hard wheel mounted on a grinder.

I decided to clean the inside of the rim. It was really bad.

I need to find something to get into the corners better.

When you get finished your not going to want to put it on the truck your going to have so much work into it!!!!

When you get finished your not going to want to put it on the truck your going to have so much work into it!!!!

That is probably true. It is a lot of work. I just wish I had the right tools for getting into the corners.

Wonder if soda blasting would work on this?

Not really sure. I did not get a chance to work on the rim yesterday. Tomorrow I am working on the lights for my utility trailer.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next