RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Fuel gauge
Post Fuel gauge 
Hey fellas

I have a 97 chevy suburban
I need some help with my fuel guage
What is the best way to check if the fuel guage is working?

I have pulled the sending unit, I suspect that it is bad
The levels jump all over

Is there a good way to check the gauge in the instrument cluster?

In my experience with that problem it's always been the sending unit. The aftermarket ones seem more prone to fail in that way.

I figured that
I messed with it agained and the levels are just erratic

Post James 
There was a thick goo around the flange of the sending and gas tank
Is this something I need to replace?
What was it for?

Post Re: James 
Ridinlow wrote:
What was it for?

It helps keep water from pooling directly on the metal retaining ring parts. We all know what happens to thin metal that is submerged in dirty salt water regularly, considering that every time you drive on an icy road that has been cleared salt is blowing everywhere under there and the salt stays year round unless you wash the underside really well every spring. Throughout the year, when you drive on a rainy day, the water gets back in there and there you are, salty water again as the water will evaporate and leave the salt behind. There should also have been a rubber seal in there to keep trash out of the tank. Yes, it needs to be replaced. You can use rubberized undercoating, but the correct stuff is body seam sealer. Both can be bought at a parts store, and the body seam sealer can be bought at any automotive paint supply shop. If it is not resealed, the next time you have to replace the fuel pump you might be replacing the tank as well since the retaining ring will be shot.

Post Re: James 
Speeder wrote:
Ridinlow wrote:
What was it for?

It helps keep water from pooling directly on the metal retaining ring parts. We all know what happens to thin metal that is submerged in dirty salt water regularly, considering that every time you drive on an icy road that has been cleared salt is blowing everywhere under there and the salt stays year round unless you wash the underside really well every spring. Throughout the year, when you drive on a rainy day, the water gets back in there and there you are, salty water again as the water will evaporate and leave the salt behind. There should also have been a rubber seal in there to keep trash out of the tank. Yes, it needs to be replaced. You can use rubberized undercoating, but the correct stuff is body seam sealer. Both can be bought at a parts store, and the body seam sealer can be bought at any automotive paint supply shop. If it is not resealed, the next time you have to replace the fuel pump you might be replacing the tank as well since the retaining ring will be shot.

Ok cool, thanks for the info James

Yep, isn't that stuff great? So nasty... Mineral spirits works for cleanup.

When I replace my fuel pump in 2012. I ended up putting a new sending unit in place. The old unit was very rusty. I filled in around the ring with wax. I got one of those seals you use on toilets, melted some of it and poured it on top of the locking ring. That too will keep out the dirt, salt and everything else.

Yes, I grab an old soup can, throw in a few bits of wax rings used to seal toilets to the floor/pipe, heat it up with a torch until wax is molten, then pour all around the sending unit on the top of the tank. Works great and isn't all that bad to take off again.

peace
Hog

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1