RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
4x4 has mind of its own
Post 4x4 has mind of its own 
Hi I own an 09 sierra 1500 WT. The shifter for 4wd is on the floor. 4 spd auto 4.8 v8

When driving down the road in 2wd there will randomly be an awful grinding noise that seems to be somewhere between the transfer case and the front end. The 4wd symbol lights up on the dash but is not blinking(the same as it does when I actually want it to be in 4wd). There are no warning or check lights on when this happens. If I put the truck into 4wd and back into 2wd the noise stops and functions normally. It has no problem going in and out of 4H 4L 2H when I want it to. I pulled the fuse for the 4wd and the issue hasn't happened since which points me toward something electrical being the culprit

What I've done.

Replaced actuator on front diff
Checked/cleaned all harnesses/plugs that I could from transmission-forward
Pulled the 4wd fuse under the hood
Banged my head off a wall trying to find anything about what Im going through online

Ive heard that the 09's are among the ones with some electrical issues
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a short in the harness. May be randomly grounding out and activating the call for 4wd. How have you checked the harness assemblies?

I only took the wire connections apart and cleaned them. I also inspected as much wire as I could easily see/get to. I didn't touch any relays or pull any switches or relays

Post FOUND THE ISSUE 
Ended up being a $40 two position spring switch on top of the transfer case that was burned up inside. Replaced 4 months ago and issue hasn't happened since. knock on wood

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1