RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Unwanted engine noise.
Ahh I recognize that radiator. Heater circuit return means it's the big-block spec version.

Some of the early GMT400 used a heater return so they just interchange to all GMT400 with a plug for the vortecs.

The big block rad is quite a bit taller tho isnt it?

I got some work done today. Not as much as I would have liked. I have the oil cooler lines on, now I can get the filter on since I have the headers in place.

Since the new radiator had a port on the right side tank, I rerouted my heater hose to it instead of to the water pump. I used the plug off the radiator to seal of the water pump.

I ordered a new tool to help tighten the bolts for the headers. It added two inches to the torque wrench to reach the bolts better. I also ground some the header flange in a couple of spots so I can bolt up the dipstick and ignition wire holder brackets.

I made a couple of studs to help hold the header and gasket in place, made it a lot easier to put on. I did get the braces on from the motor mounts to the torque converter cover. I had swapped out one of the pan bolts for one with a stud, then I bolted up the transmission oil cooler lines. Keeps things from moving. I wish I was able to do more today. Unfortunately being up till 1:30 am makes a person tired

I forgot and put the O2 sensor bung in the wrong side, but after getting the driveline in place, I had just enough room.

Almost there. Still looks like a 350.

Just a few more things before starting the truck.

If you pulled the heater hose off the water pump and routed it to the radiator, where is the other hose coming off the engine at? It'll have to be off a pressurized port, otherwise there won't be any heat.

Color matching tie-wraps. Nice Very Happy

That hose comes off the top of the intake, which feeds the heater core the other is the return line.

I finally got enough pieces on the engine and put some coolant in the radiator, to start the truck. I did get it running but didn't run it too long. Tomorrrow I have to hook up the lap top and do some changes along with topping off the coolant.

Stayed home from work today. My abdomen has been really bad this week. I did get out and finished bolting up everything but the hood. I will put my grill guard back on too. I changed my volume from 713 to 782

You will notice after you start tuning it that the 383 can use quite a bit more timingand will improve the"peppy " feel and low end torque as well. Don't forget to do a crank re-learn Later on also after its running. It makes a noticeable difference in the idle and running quality.

What program are you using?
You will notice after you start tuning it that the 383 can use quite a bit more timingand will improve the"peppy " feel and low end torque as well. Don't forget to do a crank re-learn Later on also after its running. It makes a noticeable difference in the idle and running quality.

I have EFI live, right now I just have the express van tune. After I get it broke in I will start tuning on it to make it run better. I still have to set my campret too. I haven't done any of that yet because I need to make sure I am topped off with coolant, I didn't have enough the other day. I didn't get to town myself yesterday, so I had to wait for my wife to get home from town.

You don't really need the marine intake if you're staying N/A.

You can limit the shift rpm so you don't max out the injector pulse for now.

After that, you increase the fuel pressure and retune for more HP.

I was mentioning before, adding an inline pump would help for added pressure. It would make it much easier on each pump.

But not necessary.

I drove it to town, seams to run fairly well. It sets you in the seat more then the 350 did. Time will tell. I will get the hood on it tomorrow. Then tow my trailer to the dump and see how it does pulling the trailer.

This is the sound everyone wants to hear after you start your truck and it actually runs.

[IMG]http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj539/Chevy971/Engine/th_MOV06210_zpsrumkfn0v.mp4[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj539/Chevy971/Engine/th_MOV06209_zpsidkqer5b.mp4[/IMG]

Send me your current tune and I'll tweak the timing tables for You to try and see how it runs.
Robby

Last edited by stroker97k1500 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ok I will hook up to it tomorrow and save what I have. Hopefully remember how to send it.

Good job buddy!
Send me your current tune and I'll tweak the timing tables for You to try and see how it runs.
Robby Mckinley at the yahoo (the whole name all together)

I sent you the tune in an email.

Truck is finally put back together, only took two years to put the grill guard back in place.

I sent Robby the tune in my truck, he made some changes. Not really sure what or where but, I flashed that tune to my PCM. I had another issue I had to resolve which I did. When I dumped oil into the engine, I didn't realize there was oil already in the pan. I couldn't use the dipstick from the 383 because of the headers and where it needed to bolt up. I used the one from the 350. I thought something was screwy with the dipstick. I stopped by Wal-Mart on the way home from Edmonton today and picked up 4 liters of oil. I know the oil pan holds 4 quarts. I drained the oil and filled in the proper amount, sure enough there was way to much oil in the pan. The dipstick reads the right level. Yah!!! I have to take the truck to work tomorrow, and guess what, it is snowing outside. I won't be able to really test out what changes he did.

One more flash onto the PCM then I can enjoy the truck for a while. The truck is a different animal.

Reply to topic Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next