RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Unwanted engine noise.
Post Unwanted engine noise. 
Coming home yesterday from camping, I was going up a hill, when the engine started to make a lot of noise, thinking it is the rod or piston, most likely spun a bearing. I slowed way done on engine rpms and limped the truck home the 50 miles I had to travel. This sure comes at a bad time, of course there never is a good time for an engine to go south. I gotten some advice, to see about finding a 3/4 ton truck, like my 1/2 ton with Extended Cab and short box, but with the 454 in it. Low mileage would be great, but I had to run this by my better half and get the approval first. The engine I would get to replace mine is the vortec 383. It of course costs over 5 grand. But it has warranty and it is a direct bolt in. I called my brother in law left him a message. Hopefully he can get back to me in a couple of days. A friend of his I just found out runs a salvage yard. What luck eh! Very bummed. I will have to take the time to swap everything over if we get a different truck. Even get it ready for our slide in camper. I had to trim some of the box corner in the back to make room for the bathroom in the camper. This is a 1986 camper which isn't really made for the GMT 400 trucks. Really bummed.

What ever you do, take it easy. Wink

That sucks man. I really like the looks of those Crew Cab shortbox 3/4 tons.

An HT383 is over $5000 eh? A brand new Vortec 350 is US$2000, even with 4 bolt mains. Price from Jegs, Crate engine depot i s marginally more. The 4 bolt main Vortec 350 is stock for the HD3/4 ton (over 8600gvrw-with 8 bolt lugs) and 1 ton trucks, the 282 2 bolt 350 came stock in the 1/2 ton a LD 350 ton trucks(under 8600gvrw with 5 and 6 lug wheels)
12530283 5.7 Ltr - 350 C.I.D. - GM ENGINE 1996-2002 New for the 4 bolt
and
12530282 5.7 Ltr - 350 C.I.D. - GM ENGINE 1996-2002 New for the 2 bolt.

The HT383-E(17800393 HT383E Performance Crate Engine) gets you the ZZ383(minus the carb intake) and a new stock distributer, plug wires, Vortec balancer and the stock 4x reluctor) for US$4600. Comes with the 4340 forged steel 3.8" crank, the forged PM rods tested to 550hp, and hypereutectic pistons, Vortec heads you have, and comes with the 196º/206º 0.431"/0.451" 109ºLSA roller cam that is used in the Ramjet 350/ Marine engines etc.
Stock Vortec 350 cam is 191º/196º 0.412"/0.428" 111ºLSA.

Heck the shortblock HT383 is still 3700 bucks. pn 12499106
Includes
What a great starting point to build your own hot rod 383 engine.
The only major items you will need to complete your engine are cam, lifters, cylinder heads, and manifold.
This 383 ci partial engine is used on all 383 crate engines.

The partial engine includes the following items:

P/N 88959106 - Block, 383 stroker after machining - Q/P 1
P/N 12489436 - Crankshaft, 383 stroker - Q/P 1
P/N 10120990 - Bearing standard front & intermediate - Q/P 4
P/N 10120993 - Bearing standard rear - Q/P 1
P/N 12523924 - Bearing standard connecting rod - Q/P 8
P/N 14088784 - Sprocket, crankshaft - Q/P 1
P/N 14088765 - Flexplate assembly - Q/P 1
P/N 12497624 - Rod, connecting single 383 - Q/P 8
P/N 12489437 - Piston & pin assembly standard 383 - Q/P 8
P/N 12522848 - Ring set standard 383 stroker - Q/P 8
P/N 12555283 - Pump assembly, oil - Q/P 1
P/N 12550042 - Pump assembly (screen) - Q/P 1
P/N 3764552 - Shaft, oil pump drive - Q/P 1
P/N 12557558 - Pan assembly, oil - Q/P 1
P/N 10108676 - Gasket, oil pan - Q/P 1
P/N 12562818 - Cover, front timing (plastic)- Q/P 1
P/N 12498008 - Balancer - Q/P 1
The partial engine does not include camshaft, lifters, timing chain or cam sprocket.
The oil pan is loosely assembled on the block. So it can be disassembled without destroying the pan gasket.

There are stock GM Vortec 350 shortblocks for around $1000.

Deal of the year is a 98-00 Vortec 454 L21 from Crate engine depot for only $3500. The other new Vortec L29 454's are $4500.
The L21 was designed for medium duty trucks and 26,000lb motorhomes.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/74-Ltr-454-CID-GM-ENGINE-1998-2000-New-88890532-P9426C720.aspx

Any Vortec 350 I have taken apart has been in good shape, esp. when oil changes are done on schedule. Even with over 300,000kms there is no appreciable piston ring ridge at the top of the bores and cross hatching from teh factory is usually present across the entire swept face of the bores. Not like the older stuff where the ridge is more than apparent.

peace
Hog

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/brand/blueprint-engines/make/chevrolet/engine-size/6-3l-383/engine-family/chevy-small-block-gen-i?N=401339&SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=blueprint

I went on Blue prints web site to look at the engines. There engine shows it puts out less hp and torque then the GM engine. Anything with more hp I am out of luck because I would need an intake change so I could change injector size to fuel the engine properly. That may price the thing even higher. What luck, I am damned if I do and don't do. The other thing to do is to pull this one out, see what happened and over haul it for less and just put in a bigger cam. Again I don't really know how much more the injectors I have will fuel the engine with this cam. I still have a two bolt main block.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/index.php/products/bp-gm-crate-engines-landing/gm-383-truck-suv-main/item/gm-383-base-2

Another alternative would be to find a running big block truck of the same year to use as a donor. You might find one within the price range of the crate 383, you could verify it runs well before buying, and would have everything needed to swap in the big block. If the rest of the donor truck is in decent shape, you might be able to drop in a salvage yard small block into the donor using the SBC parts from your truck and sell the donor to get some of the money back.

The wife and I discussed this, and in two years the Rabbit will be paid for so we will be looking for a newer truck, because I need the truck soon, have things to get rid of before the snow actually stays with us. I am going to put the 383 in our truck. We are keeping this truck anyway. I will either fix it up and looking nice or turn it into a mud running truck. I saw a truck a while back but a lot of them are the 6.5 liter diesel. I may have to borrow a truck to haul our garbage away, It is getting piled up. I also have to fix my headers, so they quit coming loose at the flanges on me. I talked to the manager at a muffler shop in Red Deer. He says they never make the metal thick enough so it doesn't bend when you tighten up the three bolts. I am also going to move one of the O2 sensors so it is in the header like the other one is. I wished I had a marine intake to install on the engine.

I stopped by the local GM dealer I go to, and put in my order for the HTE 383. Some may think I could save money by building my own. Well not really. Also remember I don't have the block I would want, need a crank rods, Pistons Oil pump, all new bolts heads the works. I had priced this out several times. I was surprised I actually got it for $5100 plus tax of course. It will be here in two weeks. At least another three weeks of now truck.

Don't feel bad, mine's been down since last October. I work 12 on 12 off 4 nights a week, and have to deal with various "crisises" the other three. Today's problem was I had to replace the rear links on the Lincoln because I picked up a nail in a sidewall and have to get new tires on. Worked all night last night too. New tires tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get some truck time in after.

The problem I have once I am done with my day at work, I usually am just worn out and want to do nothing when I get home. I have to watch how much I do so I don't get sick and end up in the hospital. Since my hospital stay in August, my abdomen hasn't really quit hurting. Kind of sucks right now.

Engine is in, just have to pick it up on Saturday. I also am getting 8 new intake bolts. I ordered a new radiator, supposed to be for heavy duty cooling. Getting upper and lower rad hoses, a new thermostat, motor mounts, engine oil cooler lines, starter, and a new oil pressure sensor.

I rented a truck to haul the engine home from town. This is what an HTE 383 looks like. Not much different then the 350 that is in my truck. I have started removing items from the truck to get the engine out. Hoping to have that done tomorrow.

Are you going to tune it yourself , have it tuned, or run it on the stock tune?

Are you going to tune it yourself , have it tuned, or run it on the stock tune?

At first I am going to stay with the stock tune, but would like to tune or try to myself just to make it run better. But I cannot get to carried away with timing cause I still want to run 87 octane fuel. I wish I had a marine intake right now. Cannot afford it at this time. Especially after my car was totaled on Friday morning. I was hit broad side by a gal making a left turn in front of me.

You seem to have a bad luck cloud hanging over your head.
I hope things get better for u

Engine is out.

In the process of taking all the things off I need for the new motor.

Broken back, just had a wreck, and you're blowing me away on getting yours done. Heh heh heh...

Not sure about the broken back thing, but my guts haven't been to great lately. I don't spend as much time as I should on this but I get a little bit done everyday and it seems to be coming along pretty well for my anyway.

[IMG]http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj539/Chevy971/Engine/th_MOV06173_zpsf7aa984e.mp4[/IMG]

I have the 383 on the engine stand, and it was the number 8 rod that spun the bearing.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next