RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The marine dual plane aluminum intake install.
Got my heads back from the machine shop and ordered most of the parts. Will update as I put it together.

It's going together slower than a snail race in peanut butter, but I am working on it...

Last edited by lwrs10 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
I would "assume" your marine t-body is the same as my marine t-body, I'll have to dig out my marine swap box and check the p/n on the crossram L31 style marine intake.

Thanks for the pics.

peace
Hog

I would "assume" your marine t-body is the same as my marine t-body, I'll have to dig out my marine swap box and check the p/n on the crossram L31 style marine intake.

Thanks for the pics.

peace
Hog

it has the same part number as the stock truck TB......but the marine one is bigger.

Hog wrote:

Thanks for the pics.

peace
Hog

it has the same part number as the stock truck TB......but the marine one is bigger.

I understand YOURS is bigger, I am trying to ascertain whether your marine t-body is the same marine t-body that I have as it looks different than yours.

peace
Hog

I just grabbed my marine intake t-body and it measures at 2.825" or 72mm at the smallest part on the very bottom of the bore.
The actual blade measures larger at 2.914" or 74mm.

My marine t-body has an intergral orange silicone seal, your marine t-body does not.

Your truck t-body also appears different,
in this picture you supplied

on both your truck t-body and your marine t-body, there is an extra pice of aluminum that occurs on both parts, it is located at 3 o'clock on the mounting surface and appears like it sticks out about 2". That piece is NOT on eithe my truck or marine t-body.

You casting number of your truck t-body is 21267 and my truck intakes casting number is 21247 for the 1996+ Vortec 350. My marine t-body number is absent in the same location.

Here is a 454 t-body, same as the t-body you swapped onto your intake. Confirmed by the 21123 casting number.

Go here and zoom in on the picture that shows the throttle linkage, zoom in and read the casting number.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-CHEVY-454-7-4L-VORTEC-ENGINE-THROTTLE-BODY-21123-GGG-8-F21904-/190836597113

And here is a Vortec 4.3 V6 t-body-notice that it has the low flange that air intakes mount to, plus it has the same bottom design as your new t-body you installed. Another clue is that you had a Vortec V6 air intake/air cleaner assembly attached to your Vortec V8. They feed from teh drivers side, while the V8's (305/350/454) ALL feed from the passenger side.

You have swapped on a Vortec 454 t-body and removed an L35 4.3 t-body. I think you had a 4.3 T-body installed originally, because the L29 Vortec 454 and the 4.3 L35 V6 have that same design with the throttle stop that is different and the extra piece of aluminum that is absent on both the L30/31 Vortec 305 and 350 t-bodies. Plus teh fact that the only t-body out of all of these that has teh raised air intake flange is the Vortec L29 454 t-body.

4.3 t-body off, 454 t-body on. I guess Mercruiser uses the Vortec L29 454 t-body for this marine application.

And thats my detective work for the week.

peace
Hog

Damn. Nice work. But.........that is the 5.7 truck throttle body pictured. Hold on and I will take a pic of the 4.3 and 5.7 throttle body side by side. They are the exact same except for the throttle blade itself. I pulled the left throttle body straight off the 5.7 when I got it, and as far as I know, it had never been changed. It did have the different throttle blade in it than my 4.3, so it was deff not off a 4.3. The throttle shaft was also different where the cables hook up. And the 4.3 air intake will bolt right to the 5.7 body with no problems at all.

Also, if you look on Ebay, all the 5.7 ones listed look the same as mine.

5.7 on left, 4.3 on right: Both are 21247.

Same here:

Boo, the criminal gets away, poor detective work on my part.

Any idea what year L31 you got there? Mine is a 1997 L31 and I will check the casting number on the 1997 truck t-body.

We have different casting numbers and measurement for the same t-body. And you t-bodies have that extra piece of metal, neither my marine nor rcsb t-body have that, and the threaded throttle stop is in a differnt position. And both my marine and American L31 t-body have the 3 IAC passages, and not 2 like yours.

I was comparing the t-body from my rcsb L31 that was built in Fort Wayne Indiana for the Canadian market(all units in Metric, speed in KPH.
I also have a 1997 ecab sb built at the Oshawa Ontario Canada plant for the US market(all units in Imperial, speed in MPH)
I have a 1998 ecab sb 4wd L31 but its at the airport.

I do know 100% for sure that the marine t-body you have there is different than the typical crossram marine intake t-body. I would post some pics, but my camera is in Scotland.

We will get to the bottom of this.

peace
Hog

Damn. Nice work. But.........that is the 5.7 truck throttle body pictured. Hold on and I will take a pic of the 4.3 and 5.7 throttle body side by side. They are the exact same except for the throttle blade itself. I pulled the left throttle body straight off the 5.7 when I got it, and as far as I know, it had never been changed. It did have the different throttle blade in it than my 4.3, so it was deff not off a 4.3. The throttle shaft was also different where the cables hook up. And the 4.3 air intake will bolt right to the 5.7 body with no problems at all.

Also, if you look on Ebay, all the 5.7 ones listed look the same as mine.

5.7 on left, 4.3 on right: Both are 21247.

Same here:

This picture is from your post on page 1 of this thread, the t-body on the left I thought had the casting number 21267. When viewed right side up, it is indeed a 21247 casting number. My error. I guess I really should get those glasses. No wonder I couldnt find any info on a "21267 t-body. Duh!

Merc/Vortec L31 style crossram marine intake t-body

My 97ecab2wd L31 Canadian built truck from the Oshawa Ontario Canada assembly plant uses t-body 21247.
M7 1997 rcsb L31 American built truck from the Fort Wayne Indiana USA assembly plant also uses t-body 21247..

1) BOTH L31 t-bodies DO have that extra 2" piece of metal under the throttle/cruise control attach arm. I was viewing all t-bodies except the marine t-body installed on teh trucks, I lterally had to feel for that supposed "extra piece of metal under the throttle/cruise control attach arm.
2) 21123 with the higher air intake attach flange is for L29 454(7.4BBC) and also used on your style of Merc dual plane marine intake.

My apologies for the errors, sometimes I make way too much work for myself.

This is an excerpt form the 1st post of the Marine Intake Megapost. Stating the inability for the Merc/Vortec L31 style crossram marine intake t-body to be used for these retrofits.

5. The Marine Intake Manifold throttle body (See PIC) does not have the EGR diffuser plate (lip) or the hole to diffuse the EGR coming up under the butterfly. (See PIC) This is fine because the pipe inside is directed toward the rear, not up like the stock manifold.
NOT USEABLE
This TB does not have the proper connections on it for throttle and cruise control cables making it unusable anyway. Also, the TPS and IAT are not the same parts as stock even though they appear to be at first glance. (See PIC) The return spring rate is also all wrong. The blade used in the TB would seem to have desirable qualities but the holes in it holding it to the shaft in in different places than the stock unit. The marine TB also has different bearings for the shaft which prevents any interchang eability between the Marine and stock units.

Obviously since the Mercruiser Vortec dual plane marine intake uses an L29 Vortec BBC t-body, the modifications of swapping from an L31 truck t-body to the Merc t-body that you performed are possible. If someone has a cross ram L31 style Merc Vortec marine intake along with its dedicated marine t-body, these same L31 truck to cross ram marine style t-body cannot be accomplished. This fact was the genesis of the drive to differentiate the 2 marine t-bodies. I didnt want people doing a Merc/Vortec L31 style crossram marine intake retrofit to be under the impression that the accompanying marine t-body could be used as easily as it was in this particular Merc/Vortec dual plane marine intake retrofit.

What we have learned:
1) Merc/Vortec L31 style crossram marine intakes use specific t-body and retrofits onto L31 Vortec style engines for use in GMT-400'like trucks/vans/SUV's cannot use the supplied marine t-body.

2) Merc/Vortec dual plane marine intake manifold retrofits use an L29 Vortec 454 7.4 liter truck t-body.

Again, my apologies for my errors and any confusion.

peace
Hog

What is the part number of the manifold and what is the price on a set-up you know about? Thanks

Not sure on part number, it is on the first page in the links. I can get these for $400 with everything in my first post.

Still have a ton of tuning to do.......and i will update this thread with everything it took to do this when i was not up all night making this happen.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151577064296053&l=2772724685877416173

peace
Hog

Nice job!!! I would be curios what rpm the dual plane pulls to.

Truck is similar to my 99 daily driver, only a 4 banger though.

[/img]

What cam are you running in the motor?

Comp xr-269hr.

Hey your in Pensacola just like me!

Fantastic. I have definitely got to come by and see that thing. I will be building my escalade in march with tax return money. I am planning on a 100-150 shot on mine.

Still tuning it. It is honestly a tuning nightmare. Because of the way the intake is designed, the fuel evap times and the fuel to wall impact factors have to be changed drastically. This is not a slap it on and just change injector settings intake at all. Good thing is I do not mind posting all my work showing what needs to changed when tuning for one.

But, its very close to being done, and the write ups will come soon. I can say it now rips the tires off from a 50mph roll.......did not do that before when the motor was stock. Gas mileage has went up quite a bit now. This intake did add quite a bit of midrange torque right at highway speeds. My torque converter stalls 400rpm higher than it did before too, which means its making a ton more torque.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next