RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Headers
Post Headers 
I couldn't find whether or not that I started anything on here about Headers. I finally order a set for my truck. I will get them put on May 20 when the truck is booked in to get the exhaust system fixed. I ordered the Hedman Elite headers. 2 1/2 inch pipe, no cats, not sure about mufflers yet. After this is done, I will have to go to the 411 pcm to delete the post cat O2 sensors. I did take off the EGR valve and blocked all the holes. Once I get back to be able to do anything again, I have to get the shop done this year so we can get the heat put in this fall. The headers are to be here tomorrow, I ordered the boot protectors for the plug wires, also better header gaskets. I will have to get better header bolts later.

Like I said the EGR valve is off and blocked.

This is the plug I used on the exhaust manifold.

Wrong plug that went into the intake manifold.

Last edited by Chevy 97 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

I should have the header gaskets I ordered and the spark plug boot protectors should be here tomorrow.
The headers were about $100 cheaper then I was quoted. Sweet.

I went to Brooks Alberta on Wednesday to have my exhaust put on my truck on Thursday. My brother in law recommended this shop.

I will have to check on my gas mileage when I am driving normal. I got a call yesterday morning and had to go back home. I covered the 200 miles in less then 3 hours. That is even stopping twice. Trucks sounded good. Now I have to get the 411pcm in so I can start tuning.

This project is finally done. Now I have to wait and heal up before working on the shop. My rush home was because my cat was very sick and we had to put him to sleep. Very sad day.

Really sorry to hear about your cat, we just put our dog of 14 years down, it's like part of the family is gone....

Curious, if you know or checked if the headers hang any lower than the stock system? My truck rides so low now I close my eyes if I'm forced to drive over something in the road. I have been considering the Hooker long-tubes for some time but have been on the fence for this reason.

It appears that the pipes may be a bit close to the torsion bar cross member. Do they vibrate or rub there? If not then the rest looks really good man

Really sorry to hear about your cat, we just put our dog of 14 years down, it's like part of the family is gone....

Curious, if you know or checked if the headers hang any lower than the stock system? My truck rides so low now I close my eyes if I'm forced to drive over something in the road. I have been considering the Hooker long-tubes for some time but have been on the fence for this reason.

I run the Hooker Competition Series LT headser with 1 5/8" primaries and 2 1/2" collectors made with 16gauge tubing and they ride up under the frame. If I had the suspension to do it, I could lay the frame on pavement and it wouldnt hit the headers/headpipes. These headers along with aftermarket 2 1/2" headpipes and cats, along with Fastchip 87octane tune (only leaned out PE mode fuel multiplier) dropped just under 1 second off of my 1/4 mile time. Awesome out of the hole launch and better breathing all around. Literally felt like an engine swap occurred. I was impressed.
BTW The black painted headers paint will flake off within seconds of heating them. I installed my Hooker Comps back in 1999 or so, and they were daily driven for 10 years on the salty Canadian Winter roads. They are still on teh truck now, but that truck doesnt drive much. They look a little ugly now, but they havent rusted through anywhere, and I used to have "painted headers rust through every Winter. Every spring it would be time to replace the headers because of leakage, one time a 4" piece of primary fell away, talk about annoying.
The coating more than paid for itself over the long run. I can only imagine how their newer coating perform. Those Black and Titanium coatings are a new addition too Hookers lineup within the last 3 years or so.

2462 hkr black paint $229

2462 1hkr ceramic coated $459.95

2462 2hkr stainless steel contruction $619 (no picture available)

2462 3hkr Darkside Ceramic Coated $549.95

2462 4hkr Titanium Ceramic Coated $549.95

The Super Competition Series with tuned equal length 1 3/4" primaries and 3" collector made with 18 gauge tubing
2806 hkr painted black $488.95

2806 1hkr cermic coated $819.95

2806 3hkr Darkside Ceramic Coated $839.95

2806-4HKR Titanium Ceramic Coated $839.95

Installing EGR bungs and AIR injection bungs on 2806 1hkr
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2415

28061hkr installed in James B's Hoe.
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2355&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=supercomps&start=0

Installed and underneath shots
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2430

And Hedman Husler series of headers for GMT400 trucks.

peace
Hog

As fast as I drove going home and the bumps I went over nothing hit the Torsion bar cross member. Nothing sticks out under the frame. It runs the same line as the transmission.

I made a short video so you could hear the exhaust.

I dug this up just to show a picture of what my headers and exhaust look like after going through one winter.

I am disappointed to how easy these headers loosen up at the collectors. I had the flange welded to the collector to help stiffen it up. I am going to get a couple more hangers to see if that helps. Once tight and sealed everything is fine. The flanges at the collectors need to be thicker then what they are so they don't bend.

I put turbo v-band connectors on my headers and have not had a problem with them, looks like you could cut them flanges off and weld them in the place of the existing ones.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-694300/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-693300/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-692300/overview/

The first one would be nice to have. Those are used on all the big trucks I work on. There is a gasket that goes between the two before the clamp goes on. The step clamps would be nice.

The first one would be nice to have. Those are used on all the big trucks I work on. There is a gasket that goes between the two before the clamp goes on. The step clamps would be nice.

The ones I bought do not require a gasket.

Post Up date. 
Since I put the 383 into the truck. I have not had the headers come loose at the flanges. I had the ring on the header welded solid to the header. Also had the O2 sensor bung welded into the left side header. I also put some RTV copper coat silicone around the flange before bolting them up tight. Was getting very annoying having to tighten them up after you drove the truck a couple of times.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1