RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
cam and stall torque converter ?????
Post cam and stall torque converter ????? 
i'm looking to change the cam in my 5.3 suburban
but do i size the cam according to the stall converter or vise versa?

im am confused on this

You want to match RPMs across the entire drivetrain. I'd get a stall converter that comes in about 200-300RPM higher than the cam's lower torque band number. That'll let the converter flash into the engine's powerband.

You want to match RPMs across the entire drivetrain. I'd get a stall converter that comes in about 200-300RPM higher than the cam's lower torque band number. That'll let the converter flash into the engine's powerband.

what are your thoughts on this cam for a 5.3 in a suburban with 4.10 gears?

XR265HR Cam Spec:

Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-6,800 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 212
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 218
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 212 int./218 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 265
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 271
Advertised Duration: 265 int./271 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.558 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.563 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.558 int./0.563 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 115

I think you'll like it on the street. The XR265 in a 5.3 should have a similar torque band as my XR259 in my 4.8. It really comes alive about, say, 2500 to 3000RPM. You have the correct gearing as well, my 3.42s and oversize tires put the running RPM just a little too low. My next tires will be a bit smaller in diameter to help this and next time I have to gear the truck it's getting 4.10s.

I think you'll like it on the street. The XR265 in a 5.3 should have a similar torque band as my XR259 in my 4.8. It really comes alive about, say, 2500 to 3000RPM. You have the correct gearing as well, my 3.42s and oversize tires put the running RPM just a little too low. My next tires will be a bit smaller in diameter to help this and next time I have to gear the truck it's getting 4.10s.

your thoughts on this cam

63-LS-216/220 Comp Cams LS1 Camshaft - 216 / 220 .525 / .532 114 LSA 1300-6300 RPM Power Band. Computer Tuning Required with automatic transmission cars. One of our most popular cams...This has proven to be a very well balanced camshaft in that it makes good power across the entire RPM range. Works well with Crane 1.8 Roller Rockers

Looks like it would be a nice one with power coming in practically off idle since the stock torque converter would hit right into it.

Just some info on selection of a TC. Find out at which rpm your engine makes peak torque via engine, chassis or other dyno.

Assuming a 3000rpm torque peak.

For max acceleration a TC which stalls to 3000rpm would be great.

For street use a rating of 3-400rpm under max engine torque would work great.

For heavy towing. you want a very "tight" TC or a unit that has a low stall rpm rating.

In my green rcsb I had a 4.3 V6 TC with the DCLF code on it. I can hold the rear tires stationary and the tach will read about 2800rpm.

An unlocked TC clutch in a TC with a high stall rpm rating will build mondo amounts of heat when towing.

Your Burb is a heavy vehicle, the 4.3 V6 TC equivalent for your truck would be to install a TC from an iline 6 cylinder Trailblazer. It should give you a stall rpm of about 27-2800rpm.

Get the right TC to match your combo will wake your truck right up.

peace
Hog

Just some info on selection of a TC. Find out at which rpm your engine makes peak torque via engine, chassis or other dyno.

Assuming a 3000rpm torque peak.

For max acceleration a TC which stalls to 3000rpm would be great.

For street use a rating of 3-400rpm under max engine torque would work great.

For heavy towing. you want a very "tight" TC or a unit that has a low stall rpm rating.

In my green rcsb I had a 4.3 V6 TC with the DCLF code on it. I can hold the rear tires stationary and the tach will read about 2800rpm.

An unlocked TC clutch in a TC with a high stall rpm rating will build mondo amounts of heat when towing.

Your Burb is a heavy vehicle, the 4.3 V6 TC equivalent for your truck would be to install a TC from an iline 6 cylinder Trailblazer. It should give you a stall rpm of about 27-2800rpm.

Get the right TC to match your combo will wake your truck right up.

peace
Hog

where is a good place to find the inline 6 trailblazer TC?
any ideas on the price?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1