RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 30 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
'97 Tahoe Reformation -Official Build Thread 8.1L/4L80E Swap
Post Exhaust upgrade 
No pics, but just a quick update on this: I persevered through one delay after another getting in to Todd at Exhaust Works in Belmont. By all accounts he does great work, but he's a one man shop and is over worked.

Finally got my 22" long Magnaflow installed from cat back. $400 installed. Two 3" diameter pipes from the cats, piped in to a two-in, one-out Magnaflow. The output pipe from the muffler was a 4" diameter, pretty much following the factory exhaust path. The 4" pipe sticking out where the sagging 3" factory outlet usually goes on a GMT400, makes her look like a diesel, for sure.

She doesn't sound like a diesel, though.

I was almost immediately very satisfied with the muffler selection. I waffled for a long time on which muffler to pick. There are a million choices.

The Magnaflow 22" has a nice growl, it especially sounds mean right at start up, then settles down. On the freeway with the TCC engaged, it doesn't wear out the driver or passenger with a drone, but it announces it presence nicely at WOT at any speed. Very pleased.

Last edited by jakenatour on Sun May 08, 2016 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Electronics fun 
After my experience with the painter (people in my truck, doing who knows what to it), I suddenly got urgent about protecting it more securely.

After perusing on Amazon for a while, I came across an affordable GPS Tracker http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095BJZ7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I figure for $40, I didn't have much to lose.

Got it. Bench tested in. Works. Cool. This nifty little box will allow me to use a PC or my phone to track anywhere my truck is. I can arm, interrogate or disarm using text messages from my phone. I have it wired to the doors, ignition on, and a siren so it is used as an alarm which will have an audible alarm as well as send out text messages if triggered. Additionally, once I complete the wiring, I can shut off the fuel pump with a text message.

Integrated it cleanly into the rear fender electrical box I created, where the jack used to go.

Inside you will see the GPS unit, the 800W AC inverter, the Solar Panel Charge Controller and the cutoff switch.

I've also wired in a push button volt meter to tell me the RV battery condition. Next to that is the AC receptacle with remote inverter start.

"Solar panel?" you ask...

"Where will that go?" I'm glad you asked...

Post Roof Rack under construction 
The solar panel will get mounted under the safari-style roof rack that is currently under construction.

I started with a harbor freight hitch receiver cargo rack for the nice steel 90 degree bends

I then used $100 of raw material from the local metal supply and welded on perimeter and center rungs to complete the framework.

I now have a 4' x 7' cage which I will begin to modify to hold the solar panel, off-road accessories, and anything else I need to throw up there.

I'll update when I can.

Wow... nice. Just keeps getting better Cool

Haha.. Get it?

Looks good man

Nice Rack!

Haha.. Get it?

Looks good man

OMG - Too Funny!!

Truck looks fantastic - amazing work!

Thanks for the comments. It's been a fun ride so far.

I gotta say I'm very impressed how far the GPS technology has come. Simply activating a SIM card for $10/mo allows configuration of the $40 tracker unit to send out GPRS signals every 30 sec when ignition is on. All configuration is done through SMS. The mobile app is a little clunky but very functional.

Here's a screen shot.

The cell antenna is mounted in the window above the compartment and mounted the GPS antenna on the roof next to the brake light.

Very nice. Can you get some pics of the paint in the sunlight? Looks like a very nice color on it.

You've been busy. Did the thief's get away with anything?

Just read all 30 pages of this and while i had already looked into doing an 8.1/4L80e swap into my Tahoe Limited, i now want to do this asap!!!

great job on the build. i had a deal lined up to buy an 02 3500HD that was the GMT400 body style so the swap would have been very easy i believe but the deal for the truck fell thru so im back to searching.

A lot of the guys who've commented in this thread now participate on a Facebook page for 8.1Ls. A wealth of information and no forum BS.

A lot of the guys who've commented in this thread now participate on a Facebook page for 8.1Ls. A wealth of information and no forum BS.

I wish it was its own forum tho I don't care much for the FB group crap or FB in general. It is nice having everyone in one place tho

And I wasn't invited. I'll try not to have my feelings hurt. I just searched around on FB and couldn't find it. Can someone point of put to me? I'm interested.

www.facebook.com/groups/1556016757949905/

I used the link you provided...like already said, it's a closed group. I asked to join...I hope I'm popular enough to be allowed in the "cool" group!

Thanks for the help!

-Russel

Very nice. Can you get some pics of the paint in the sunlight? Looks like a very nice color on it.

Used my annual allowance of a car wash (doesn't rain in California anymore) today and snapped a few pics

Here's a close up of the metallic paint.

Very nice. Looks good in both sunlight and fake light, not an easy thing for paint to do.

You've been busy. Did the thief's get away with anything?

No, except for the parking change kept in the center console. That was irritating. Worse than that, though, was the cutting off of the connectors for my headrest monitor screen. Clipped of all 5 RCA connectors apparently in prep for stealing the headrest. That was about 2hrs of labor to repair. Stupid headrests are only $150 for the pair. Spent only 1 hour installing them. I blew a fuse when I saw that and chewed out the painter pretty good. He was embarrassed, of course, and said he would make it right. He didn't. Don't care anymore. My truck is painted. He got paid. The job was a C grade job, with some idiocy thrown in. The key was the prep (which I did - not experienced, but thorough) and the quality of the materials, which was PPG brand, which many professionals swear by. I think I got what I wanted at a decent price. Could've been a lot worse.

The job was a C grade job, with some idiocy thrown in. The key was the prep (which I did - not experienced, but thorough) and the quality of the materials,

That's why most of us do our own repairs/rebuilds. Engine, transmission etc.... Too much subpar workmanship.. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Reply to topic Page 30 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next