RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cadillac 500 in 98 chevy truck
Post Cadillac 500 in 98 chevy truck 
Been doing nonstop research.Have not found alot of info on fuel injection for it .I want the install to look factory.Does anyone know if the stock ecu and harness could be adapted similar to the marine intake?I know I could do a stand alone set up,but i would like to keep all my factory electronics as I do not know how the cruise control,transmission shifts,guages,airbags,etc would work otherwise.I'm thinking tunercats or a comparable program could work.I'm not sure about adapting the crank sensor and the fact that the firing order etc is different.Gonna leave it short for now.Thanks in advance for any input.

P.S. If your wondering why Cadillac,Truck has a escalade front clip as well as 89-93 caddy tail lights.Also I need the power as the truck will be on 40's

You can get weld-on bungs to connect fuel injectors to a carbed manifold. Any other sensors can be installed, and a plate can be made to connect the throttle body to the intake.

Thanks for the reply.Yes I know that the eldabrock intake can be tapped for injectors,I understand how to set it up.My question is can the stock ecu be programmed to work with the cadillac engine.

Oh, sorry, didn't catch that part. The 99+ with the 411 computer will definitely allow it but I don't know for sure on the GMT400 computer. I think it can though, because folks put 383s in them.

You will need a cam sensor (CMP) and a crank reluctor and sensor (CKP) Here is a homemade CMP sensor for a 500 Cadillac I made for my 54 Chevy truck. I want to run 8 coils like the GM Gen3 engines so I machined the front of the balancer to accept a 24x reluctor.

Jeff[/img]

Oh, sorry, didn't catch that part. The 99+ with the 411 computer will definitely allow it but I don't know for sure on the GMT400 computer. I think it can though, because folks put 383s in them.

Interesting.Something I will need to study.I was thinking of using the 02 express van ecu.Is that a 411 or are those only on the 99 up trucks?

That balancer is a work of art!Was that distributor originally an hei or points that you gutted?Where did the internals come from?I wonder if the distributor internals from the vortec can be adapted to fit in an caddy distributer?Also how would the different firing order work with the computer?Can the ecu be reprogrammed or does it even need to be for the firing order difference?Are you using a stand alone fuel managment system or adapting a stock system?

Lextech wrote:
You will need a cam sensor (CMP) and a crank reluctor and sensor (CKP) Here is a homemade CMP sensor for a 500 Cadillac I made for my 54 Chevy truck. I want to run 8 coils like the GM Gen3 engines so I machined the front of the balancer to accept a 24x reluctor.

Jeff[/img]

Speeder wrote:

Interesting.Something I will need to study.I was thinking of using the 02 express van ecu.Is that a 411 or are those only on the 99 up trucks?

The van ECU is what is normally used as the vans came with the old Vortec 5.7 but also ran the 411 computer. This link details the conversion.

The distributor I used was an HEI unit. It looked like more trouble than it was worth to try to get the Vortec innards in the HEI, so I cut off the top of the HEI and used a .250" thick aluminum plate as the base. The injector firing order can be changed by swapping injector wiring around at the PCM.

Jeff

Lextech you are the man!So in your opinion there's really no reason that running a 500 caddy engine off of a stock/modified Gm vortec electronics would not work?Is there any up or downs to this?Any suggestions on what throttle body to use with a relatiely mild caddy 500?

Mine isn't finished yet. I see no reason it wouldn't run very well with the GM stuff, or I wouldn't be messing with it. I think a throttle body off of a big block truck would work fine.

Jeff

I was reading that a early 80's distributor from a 368 with efi has a ESC sensor.Any thoughts on that?Would that suffice as a cam sensor or would that be counter productive?

Picture of the balancer with the 24x reluctor is intersesting, how do you know where TDC is on the reluctor ring.
I've thought a bit and mount it on a 400 Pontiac engine.

Ponrov

Jimanold22, I don't know anything about the ESC system. I am not a GM technician, just a Lexus technician/hotrodder.

Ponrov, I took several pictures of the reluctor through the CKP sensor hole in the block of an LS1 engine at exact TDC. I will try to duplicate the sensor/reluctor
placement off of that.

Jeff

Lextech,do you know of any company that can build the distributor?

Jeff

Post Cadillac 500 in 98 chevy truck 
on the 24x relucter wheel can someone post a picture with the arrow showing where number #1 TDC would be and what direction it rotates??

I don't have any of that info any more. I had a guy buy that engine project from me before it was finished.

Jeff

Jeff[/img]

How did you physically attach the reluctor? And, of course, you would have to make a mount for the oem sensor - did you do that? -Bob

I machined the inner toothed ring of the of the reluctor to index on the hub portion of the balancer. Then I machined the serpentine pulley to index on the hub portion of the balancer. Then I machined the outer toothed ring of the reluctor so that the pulley could recess into the reluctor. Then I tig tacked the reluctor to the pulley. If you look at the reluctor on the balancer in that pic you will see the machining that was done.

Jeff

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next