RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
4L80E overhaul.

I have driven the truck a couple of times. I am going to try someones transmission tune to see if there is a difference. Going to have to get used to the way this transmission acts compared to the 60E.

I can send you mine, but you'll have to fiddle with it to get the 1-2 gears right as I have the low gearset. Mine will kick back to 2nd gear at 80MPH and takes off like a rocket (relatively speaking). I use EFI live, no idea if it will translate to anything else. If you want it PM me your email address and I will send it on the next time I log on.

I can send you mine, but you'll have to fiddle with it to get the 1-2 gears right as I have the low gearset. Mine will kick back to 2nd gear at 80MPH and takes off like a rocket (relatively speaking). I use EFI live, no idea if it will translate to anything else. If you want it PM me your email address and I will send it on the next time I log on.

I will PM you. I just loaded up the tune that I got. It would not hurt to check out yours too. I also have EFI live. V2.

I have tested out this transmission this summer. My wife and I went camping a few times with the holiday trailer. (Camper) It is a 26 ' trailer nothing too big. Weight is around 7500 fully loaded. What the sticker says anyway. I had a couple good size hills to go up. The truck drops into second gear, I travel about 105 kmph, 65mph. I would hold 65 going up most of the hills, one hill I dropped 5 mph and that was it. The engine rpm would be around 4200rpms, right at the top of the torque curve. Most of them the 383 would hang in still in drive. 3rd gear. I did find out I had to switch to premium fuel though in the truck. When the engine pulled hard you could tell it was starting to knock. I really don't notice the difference in the low gear between the 60 and 80. The higher stall converter makes up for that. I wish I would have weighed my dump trailer, because I had 3 yards of 3/4 washed gravel in it. You have an up hill climb for a ways leaving Lacombe heading east, then some rolling hills to go over. the 383 and the 4l80E worked fine. Granted it is no 454, but it surprised me how good it is for this half ton truck. I don't get carried away pulling too heavy of loads, just because this is only a half ton. Bigger loads would require a bigger truck with bigger engine.

Not sure if I mentioned on here, but at the start, I ended up putting all new brakes, drums and bearings on the holiday trailer, along with five new tires. Tires were out dated. Now I just need to win the lottery so I can put a big block into this truck and finish fixing it up. That is why I keep buying tickets. I originally wanted a 454.

What's the mileage difference between the 454 and the 383. Probably not much I'd think.

Robby did a 454 install and it took a lot of things to make it right. Radiator, etc....

Either way, you are better off than the old 350.

Glad to hear you summer was good! Always nice to have some time away without having to do a bunch of work.

By the way, is the shop finished now?

What's the mileage difference between the 454 and the 383. Probably not much I'd think.

Robby did a 454 install and it took a lot of things to make it right. Radiator, etc....

Either way, you are better off than the old 350.

Glad to hear you summer was good! Always nice to have some time away without having to do a bunch of work.

By the way, is the shop finished now?

There are still a few things that need to be done. We had a concrete pad poured in the front this summer. Then we has some landscaping done this fall so the water will drain away from the shop. Inside I would like to cover the floor with something to protect it from the road salts during the winter months.
My mileage is in the 14 miles per gallon range empty. Pulling my trailer, anywhere from 7 to 9 mpg, depending on the wind and the speed I travel. I also switched to running premium for gas. I still haven't really fine tuned this engine yet. Have not had time to work on anything this summer. Now that I have a job and some days putting in 14 hours of work, plus the hour and a half driving to and from work does not leave much time to do anything.

I still need to put 4:10 gears in my truck too. We really do not use it to travel anywhere, I use it more for pulling my trailers, and hauling my garbage. Winter time if the roads get really bad. 4x4 comes in handy when used properly.

This winter I plan to go through my transmission tune again. I started looking into it last spring but did not get any farther with that. Summer yard work and camping took priorities.
I took my front driveline in to get balanced. Ended up having a new one made. I haven't gotten a call to see if it is done yet or not. The splines were worn out from the mileage this truck has. I wish I would not have waited so long to get it looked at. Now with the snow I may need the 4wd for going to work at times.

I had a new front shaft made for the truck. Once I get the pictures uploaded to photo bucket, I will get them on here.

I had a new front shaft made for the truck. Once I get the pictures uploaded to photo bucket, I will get them on here.

Good Deal ! Just in time for winter - fun in the snow!

Reply to topic Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9