RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
4L80E overhaul.
http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=338/category_id=101/mode=prod/prd338.htm

I did pick up the cover today.

I have picked up a couple more parts for my transmission. I went to my local GM dealer and picked up the two fittings I need for the cooler lines. I also got a dipstick/tube for the 80E. I have been taking my time on this. I still need to crawl under the truck to look at the transmission to see what Neutral safety switch I have. Also to check and see if I have to get two new connectors.

Why would you have to replace the connectors?

Doesn't matter on the neutral safety switch. The one on a 4L60E will fit on a 4L80E. When I did mine, I didn't even remove it from the wiring harness. Mainly because the connector had welded itself into the switch.

I will look at mine, I just want to replace it because of the age. The truck is officially 20 years old this month.

The new one should come with a new wiring harness side to be spliced into your existing harness. If you're able to separate your neutral switch from the harness you will be one of the few who have. This was the main reason mine still has the original on it.

You have to heat it up and pull it carefuly off.

Heat gun and theyll come out every time. may have to re heat to get them together

I decided to have someone else overhaul the transmission. I took it to the person who did my nephews 4l80E. I made the trip to Airdrie, wished the roads would have been not so slick but I made the trip there and back. He took the transmission apart to check to see what is wrong with it. I also found out it is a 1997 transmission and not a 2001 like I was told. Not really an issue. The pump was good. Since reverse was gone, the third gear drum was bad. Bushings were worn to the drum was rubbing on a shaft and left marks. I did not look up the schematic of the transmission to get the name of another part that was worn out. the reverse band was broke but the drum it rides on was not burnt. One set of clutches and steels were burnt. He will build it for towing since that is what I plan on doing with this transmission. He will upgrade the parts that are needed to the valve body and the pump. The transmission must have been apart once because it had the updated sparg in it. He showed me what an original looks like. Big difference. I am waiting for his price quote.

The next thing I am getting ready is for the wiring. I read through one of the forms that was given to me about the swap. I need to get the pig tail that goes into the front speed sensor on the 80E. Is it the same as the coolant sensor? Also I am going to run two new wires to the PCM instead of using the two wires that have to be removed from the plug. I will have to check my schematics for the wiring pins to the PCM. I was not sure if my schematics covered the 80E since my truck came with a 60E.

I am going to remove the sensor on the shift lever in one piece with out disconnecting the connectors. Then I do not have to change that. I am going to borrow an case so I can mock up my bolt holes for moving the cross member with out using the rebuilt transmission. As long as nothing is wrong with the drive line that will not be two expensive. The front driveline I decided to do like everyone else and grind down the splines. Just wondering if I read this right, that the 80E is 1 1/2 inches longer that the 60E. I will measure it though.

Tuning, I will just have to use a 4l80 5.7l tune and make sure to change some of the parameters for the 383 onto the 350 tune.

I gave the okay to fix the 4L80E, I have some terminals and a pigtail ordered, also some header gaskets.
I decided to save a tune to my EFI live file. I was going through it to compare that one and the one that is in my truck. I changed over the things I had changed on the previous tune to match the one in my truck. I have noticed where Robby had made some changes, now I just have to read up on how to swap them over to the new tune I will need.

Very Happy After doing some reading and playing in demo mode, I figured out what to do to transfer the tables over from one tune to another. It will be time consuming is all. I was a little hesitant about doing this, but now it seems a little bit fun. Once I get the transmission in and drive the truck a but to break it in, I will see about changing some things on the transmission, that I may need some help with.

I cannot remember how to post up a tune on here. [/url]

Still having issues trying to put the correct settings in for the speedometer. I put my tire size in and come up with the correct numbers, but when I apply and save, then go back and check nothing has changed. The first picture is my tire size.

This next picture is after I press apply and the numbers change. I even have entered them in with out the calculator.

Once I press save, I go back to check to see if the corrections were saved. Unfortunately they have not. Not sure what to do here.

Rather than use tire size, try using tire diameter. This is how I normally enter changes, and it always works. To measure, put masking tape on the tire and on the ground, and use a pen to mark it. Roll the vehicle one rotation until the pen mark is at 180 degrees, then put tape on the ground and match the mark. Use a tape measure to get the exact measurement between the two, and put that in.

Rather than use tire size, try using tire diameter. This is how I normally enter changes, and it always works. To measure, put masking tape on the tire and on the ground, and use a pen to mark it. Roll the vehicle one rotation until the pen mark is at 180 degrees, then put tape on the ground and match the mark. Use a tape measure to get the exact measurement between the two, and put that in.

where do you enter that number into. Sounds much easier?

In your top picture, under tire calibration, where it says tire circumference. Hit apply, I think, and it updates all relevant fields.

Since I do not have a welder, I went to the welding shop I always use in Ponoka. I am having them make an extension for my floor jack. It will be five inches, this way I do not have to stack up block of wood to help raise the truck up higher. After that I stopped and picked up my transmission mount. The tranny temp gauge will be in on Friday. I hope to run the transmission pan down to Airdrie on Friday. I was going to do that today. There was glass Ice on QE2 heading south of Red Deer. Plus the wind came up and blowing snow would have made that too much fun for driving.
I went to find the ATF oil I used when I changed transmission filter in 2015. I see Walmart carries it. will have to see if they have enough.
I will finally get to use the pillar pod I had bought in 2013.

I also have a wide band gauge to put in too, might as well put the gauge in.

Except for the wire, the rest of the parts had to be ordered in. Some I ordered from the States.

A box of spare parts.

My transmission was going to be done today. I will call him in the morning, if it is done I will head back to Airdrie to pick it up. I run the pan down this morning.

Took another road trip today and picked up my transmission.

I have to check some of the articles I have read, but I just cannot remember if anyone who has done this swap if they had to change cables. I will look again at some of the picture. This is the bracket that was on the 4L80E.

Reply to topic Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next