RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 3 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
4L80E overhaul.

V6 2500 truck converter

Yes, that'd be a good choice, esp. considering the heavy towing that he does. If he was more on the performance/acceleration side of things, like in a reg cab shortbox, a looser/higher stalling performance TC would be advantageous.

peace
Hog

I went to the transmission shop yesterday, they priced out the parts I needed to overhaul the transmission. the sealing kit, bushings, the pressure valve in the pump, the one valve that goes bad in the valve body, the steels and clutches, a heavy duty sprag. Comes to $900. I will be checking on the torque converter, the fittings that going in the transmission for the return line. Drivelines, transferecase, the two speed sensors, and the manual shift valve sensor. Hoping nothing else goes wrong.

Well I did some pricing around today, talked with the man at the transmission shop for an hour. Telling him what I want to do. At first they tried to tell me it the swap cannot be done. They thought I had a 2003. Nope I have a 97 I told him and it can be done. I stopped by GM first:
Cost for Torque converter is $455 plus a $100 dollar core charge.
Cooler line fitting will cost $49.46.
I did not price out the speed sensors or the manual shift sensor.
Dip stick tube, $45.77
Dip stick it self. $101.45.
May have to modifiy mine or get one from the wreckers.
Total there was $751.69
Parkland transmission
4L80E
Parts plus Torque converter, $1500
They would put the sealing rings on for me, also drill out the valve body so I can put the sonnex parts into it.
4L60E
Cost to rebuild transmission at their shop, that includes taking it out and installing it, flushing out the cooler and the lines, also would have warranty even if I was in BC. This would also be beefing up areas that need to be done and make it sturdy enough for towing.
$3500
Transfer Case
$350 to $400. I still did not price out the input shaft gear.
I may try to get a transfer case that has that in it.
Drivelines.
My rear driveline is the aluminum, and I cannot remember what the other material was.
$250 to shorten and lengthen.
$300 with new u-joints.
$500 if I need to get one made.
The front shaft I know people have just ground down the splines some to make it slide out that little bit. Unfortunately I won't do that. You need all the splines you can get when you hit mud and snow. With the added horsepower and torque you need good amount of splines.
This could cost from $500 to $800.
I have not added the few tools I need, also a rental car again,
the connectors that go onto the speed sensors, and the connectors if I need to change from my manual shift sensor. I heard they can melt and get brittle.
I went at noon to talk to my wife about that, now I wish I hadn't she wasn't happy neither am I. Either way you look at it, this will cost some money. Of course like everyone else, we don't have that money just laying around. Like I said I should start a go fund me account

If you are not going to build it yourself...... Don't pay someone to do it....
Look on Car-part.com and get a good used working 4l80e with the TC (heck I can even buy a good new TC for under $200 better than the GM reman and high markup and you can too) but have it shipped with the dipstick and whatever else you need. For under a grand shipped you will be done. Also the front driveshaft(modded) will handle way more torque and stress than your 383 will ever make... I made countless launches in 4hi and even off road and in snow. Never an issue.
I bought a used 2003 80e for my 97 k1500 and put 5 motors behind it and beat the piss out of it being a completely stock Trans minus (1) reverse boost valve in the pump but it was for reverse WOT protection .
Even in stock form with 33" tires....The used trans begged for more abuse
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyzarrzcaU

I have a better suggestion.....
If you are not going to build it yourself...... Don't pay someone to do it....
Look on Car-part.com and get a good used working 4l80e with the TC (heck I can even buy a good new TC for under $200 better than the GM reman and high markup and you can too) but have it shipped with the dipstick and whatever else you need. For under a grand shipped you will be done. Also the front driveshaft(modded) will handle way more torque and stress than your 383 will ever make... I made countless launches in 4hi and even off road and in snow. Never an issue.
I bought a used 2003 80e for my 97 k1500 and put 5 motors behind it and beat the piss out of it being a completely stock Trans minus (1) reverse boost valve in the pump but it was for reverse WOT protection .
Even in stock form with 33" tires....The used trans begged for more abuse
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyzarrzcaU

Something to look at. The 80E I can do by my self, they will put some of the sealing rings in for me since I don't have the seal installers. The transfer case I can also do my self. The 60E I won't touch. For it to work right, it needs to be built up to handle towing. I haven't looked at my manual sensor yet to see what I have. I plan to replace it if and when I do the transmission. I won't have the horsepower you have had in your truck either. There are a couple of other parts to look at too. At first the transmission shop said it couldn't be done. But then they thought I had a 2003. I am hoping the connectors are in good shape when I take them off the transmission for the manual shift sensor. I think everyone was telling me I just need the coolant temp sensor connector for the VSS. At least the person that I talked to about shortening my driveline can do the one I have. I thing it is the same one you had on the 97 you sold. Going to look on Ebay for the tool to help compress some of the springs to take off the snap ring to get the piston out.

I acquired this work bench this fall. It would be a good spot to mount the transmission holder. I would like to build it, but need a lathe to trim some metal down.

This is one I would like to make but this is also the one I need a lathe for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Transmission-Holding-Fixture-w-Adapter-for-4L80E-J-8763-B-T-0156-B-T-2901-/200831915349

This is another one I would like to make.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Transmission-Clutch-Drum-Spring-Compressor-Tool-T-0158-HD-Bench-Mount-/190812034767

This piece I would have to buy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SST-2901-4L80E-Transmission-Holding-Fixture-Adapter-Tool-J-38655-T-2901-/191554244794

The beginning of this month, my dad was to have three stints put in. The morning of the procedure he went into Cardiac Arrest. I was notified that evening, the next morning very early, I was on a plane heading to Denver first then back to Billings MT. I got to the hospital after 1pm. I was able to let dad know I had made it to be with him. He was able to acknowledge I was there. From what the doctor said on Saturday, Dad had crashed 3 times while they were putting in his stints. It was 2 am when we got a call to rush to the hospital. Dads blood pressure tanked. When we got there we had them stop doing CPR. Now I join my wife in loosing a dad just before Christmas. He is better off this way. He had Leukemia since 1991. Kidneys started to go bad in 2010, started up on dialysis last year. Even though I have talked to him several times through out the years, I haven't seen him for over three years. That is when he came up in 2012 to see me after my surgery. I haven't been to Montana since 2009.

Sometime this next year I hope to get started on the 4l80e. So far the tranny in my truck is still working. But it is on borrowed time.

I wish every one a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May all your projects either get started or finished.

My condolences to you and your love ones. May he rest in peace. My dad is living on borrowed time. Dreading the day he will pass away. Always enjoy reading your posts even if I don't always respond. Take care bud.

Really sorry to hear this about your dad, man. Really, really tough.

Whenever you do get ready, you know we will all be here to help you out with that 80.

Sorry about your dad. I lost mine a few years ago and it's pretty hard.

Try to have a good Christmas anyway as he is in a better place and not suffering.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope for the best for you and your family this Christmas and New Year considering the situation. Take care my friend.

Hate hearing about stuff like this. My condolences.

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words. Thanks to my wife, I finally have the new laptop I got up and going. I downloaded the EFI live v8 and v7.5 last night. This weekend I hope to get the scan/tune tool registered on my laptop.

Still haven't touched the transmission yet. My shoulder is coming along really well since surgery. I have two more car payments left then that means money for transmission. We needed a new quad to clean our yard with. I am having a bracket made so I can mount the plow to the 700 Grizzly. Going to be so different with the bigger quad. I am sure one of these days the 4L60E may just die on me. So far it is hanging in.

I am still flirting with danger of a transmission going out sometime. My wife and I bought this 26ft trailer last week on Monday. I pulled it home, then we had to get the license plate and insurance. Last week end we took it camping. About an hour away from home. I tested it out coming out of the river valley at content bridge on hwy 21. I through a code of course when it shifted from second to third. I took it easy all the way there and back. Next thing is to get the transmission done and in my truck. I am thinking of taking it to some one so he can actually teach me how to repair the transmission. Then he has the tools and I don't have to cough of for anything. I will have to call him first to arrange all of this. This wasn't as heavy as the three yards of gravel in my dump trailer. Depending on the grade of the hills I usually don't slow down.

I phoned a gentleman about the dust cover for my 4l80e that works with the 4x4, so I have the bolt hole for the braces. He said he has one, he just has to find it and give me a call when he has it. I still haven't gotten the okay yet to work full time. I have on light duty, so I best not tackle this yet. I am rounding up some of the parts.

Easy does it. Wink

No worries there. Laughing

Reply to topic Page 3 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next