RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 6 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
4L80E overhaul.
My cable bracket seems to be bent, I cannot get the cable through the hole. I will have to take it off and to the vice to bend it back some what. The picture I am using is borrowed off the internet.

Not now, I knocked it off this afternoon. Was going to put the cover on, found out it is another 4l60E. That is why I did not see the difference between the two. Pissed me off some, so I spent the rest of the afternoon looking for one. I have to go to Brian's place west of Ponoka to see about the two he had found. I really wish the wreckers would tag them after they are removed, then there is no guess work. That would be just too easy.

Yeah, that's a pain. You would think they would care, but it seems like all they care about is the money from selling it. "Yeah, it'll fit. Done it myself" - heard that line before at the wrecking yard.

Post Cover 
I drove out west of Ponoka today to visit the person I got the first cover from. Brian is such a nice person. He had a bunch of covers lined up. Out of the bunch one stood out to be different. The area for the starter for one was open a lot more then mine was. We swapped covers, I drove back home. Tried the cover, it fit like, I was happy.

Of course It took a bit to clean the cover up, but I have it in place bolted up to the transmission. I was able to bolt one of the braces up, the other one not so much.

I removed the brace, then drilled a hole. Put the brace back on and bolted it up. Sweet.

There you have it.

Post NP 243 Transfer case. 
This afternoon I started on the transfer case.

First thing I did was take off all the sensors.

I removed the seal before taking this off, Once off I removed the snap ring that was in front of the bearing on the next housing.

I had to pull the yoke off the front output shaft.

I removed the next housing but left the pump in place. I also removed the commutator gear, and both snap rings.

Removed the 4wd selector.

Chain is in really good shape.

This is the pump, the pick up screen is full of silicone, so was the transfer case.

More pictures.

The objective was obtained, got this input shaft out.

Case was clean on the inside, except all the silicone.

I put the two input shafts together so you can see the difference. I know a lot of you have already done this but for those that have not. The left one is the 4L60E input shaft, the right of course is the 4L80E, big difference.

Because this is the running mate to the old input shaft, I have decided to change it. I just like the idea of new on new instead of new on old.

The fun part begins with cleaning all this up. I did most of it tonight, have the cases left to do.

Make sure you get that freeze plug in the new input shaft

Make sure you get that freeze plug in the new input shaft

For sure, that has the bearing on it for the other shaft.

Post Cooler lines. 
This afternoon I decided to address the coolers. I cleaned out the cooler in the radiator, then mounted the auxiliary cooler, put the smaller line in place, after that I started the slow and painful task of bending the cooler line that goes from the transmission to the radiator. I messed up in a couple of places, also the line is too short.

I have to say, I am not an expert at bending lines.

Post Flaring Brake line. 
I picked up another brake line to finish my coolant line. Also remembered the connector needed to connect the two lines. I finished bending up the line. Cut line then flared it so I could tighten up the line. Ended up too long the first time so I cut the line again the flared it again. Both times turned out pretty good.

This one is the second time.

Since I have worked on trucks I end up saving some pieces that come in handy. Notice the yellow paint. Came off a Cat engine.

Lines are all in place, cooler in place, still need to come up with another bracket or two for the cooler lines.
one last picture of the line I had to bend to finish up the steel line from the transmission to the radiator cooler.

Looks good. IIRC, Howard used blue rubber hoses of some type instead of bending metal hoses.....

He did use blue hose, I have been going over his swap once in a while. He also goes through two auxiliary coolers. Probably because of the temperature difference where he is at compared to where I live. If I was in Southern United States, I would have either a bigger auxiliary cooler or two like he run. Howard made a lot of his tools too.

I was looking my truck over the other day, noticed a problem. I grabbed my grille, removed the filler, put it up to the truck. Sure enough, I had put the cooler on backwards. It was sticking out too far. Tonight, I swapped it around looks way better now.

I found a bracket in my stash of stuff under my blue tool cart. I bent it some to make it work. The access hole was not so easy as it is behind the inner fender. I managed to squeeze the socket and extension past the fender, loosened off the top bolt on the idler, mounted the bracket and tightened that up again. Then I took a clamp and bolted it up to the bracket holding the line in place. I took a zip tie that actually looks like hand cuffs and tied up the two lines under the engine.

I just started putting the bumper on. I still think the one rad support mount is bent back some. Just by how the brackets sits compared to the right side.

Post Transfer Case 
I did not have a pilot bearing puller, the slide hammer that I bought did not go small enough. I managed to get the cage out, them waited for my friend to get done to help. He has a welder where I do not. Welded the bearing shell, then let it cool. Popped right our with a heel bar.

I started putting in seals and bearings.

I replaced the bushing in the tail shaft.

Cleaned up my yoke, before installing the speedy sleeve.

Speedy sleeve in place.

Cleaned up my bolts.

Last edited by Chevy 97 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Transfer Case 
I put the input shaft into the planetary. I used the new pieces that came in the bearing kit. Then I tapped it into the housing, before putting on the snap ring. Then I put in the shifter, before the shift fork and the new sliding gear.

I put the main shaft together, not forgetting the snap ring. Sling the other shifter fork in place along with the shaft.

Then came the chain, how was that going to be? I had put the output shaft in place already, but I did not put the gear on it. I slipped the chain over the main shaft gear, then put the output shaft gear onto the chain. I had to slide out the shift fork and main shaft just a bit to get the gear started on the output shaft. Once on I slid everything back on.

The yoke was next so it would hold the out put shaft in place.

Now to remember the magnet, and the spring for the shift fork. The cover was ready to go on. I made sure the oil pump and pickup tube was in place before sliding it down on to the case. Jiggled it around and it fell together.

I put the Snap rings in with the VSS gear. Then the cover.

This is when I actually for got a snap ring, had to take the tail shaft housing off. Put the snap ring on then put the house back on.

I run out of the sealant I was using. So I did not get the front seal put in place yet. I am getting two new sensors as well. Also I asked for an O-ring for the electric shift module, but did not get one. Will see about that too.

Post Transfer Case 
Just in case you have not seen enough pictures here are a couple more of the transfer case. I got the o rings I needed. So I put the sensors on the transfer case along with the front seal and the electric shift motor.

[/i]

Great work! It looks ready to go back in. Time to see how well the driveshafts fit.

Well as a matter of fact, I wrestled it up in place this evening. There is one particular bolt that I want to mention for those that have not done this yet or even taken a transfer case off of a 4l80e. I am talking about the bolt that is hidden behind the transmission mount. On the 4l60e you can get that bolt out with our removing the mount. But oh no not the 4l80e. I was just a little bit of a delay, because I had to remove the mount to get that bolt in place.

I have the mount bolted back up the bolts around the transfer case tight.

I took a rear view picture.

As far as the driveline, I am going to deal with that tomorrow. I measured it up but I have more questions for them.

Following cause I got to do the same. Cool

Not sure if I took enough pictures. LOL.. Laughing

When I drilled the holes for the cross member, I actually bolted up the cross member to the transmission then jacked it up against the frame. I have center punches that actually fit the hole in the cross member. That way I had the holes centered. Except for on. So be sure to check all holes to make sure they line up. I ended up using my die grinder to make the hole in the correct spot. Not sure what happened to make the cross member move on me. Just another heads up.

Post Wiring 
Today I am working on the wiring. I connected all the connectors to the transfer case. The zip tied them so they are not loose. I also put the vent hoses on. I got new hose for that. I put one O2 sensor on, have to wait on the left one till the driveline is in place.

I made a short wiring harness for the temp gauge. I will be using the other half of the weather pack connector on the wire coming out of the cab. This one goes to the sensor. Just getting that done so I can get everything tied up.

Since it is Saturday afternoon, it is a requirement to have a beer break and that is what I did.

Post Wiring 
Laughing I run the VSS wire over to the PCM. Removed the connectors. Sure glad the red cover came off easy.

The VSS wires go to pin location 22 & 23 on the red connector.

The VSS connector is lettered in A & B. A goes to pin connector 22, which happens to be the brown wire on my wire harness, I did not have purple wire like at the VSS connector.

That means B goes to 23. Or in Bingo B23. The yellow wire.

With that done, I zip tied up the wires, put the spark plug wires back on, then put the clamp in place to hold up the vent tube for the T Case.

Put the air cleaner on, getting closer to being done.

Reply to topic Page 6 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next