RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
L31 powered s10
Author Message
Reply with quote
Post L31 powered s10 
Hi everyone, I have a 94 S10 with an L31 engine in it. Currently I have a cold air intake, headers, 2 1/2"duel exhaust and a custom tune on the computer. I keep seeing on different places on the net where people are talking about how this engine is capable of producing 400 crank hp with the factory induction system. my question is how do I go about doing this. I am wanting to put in a bigger cam and increase the lift on the vortec heads but i dont think this alone will get it to the 400 mark. Confused


here is a link to some pics
http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30453&hilit=vtx

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
marine intake and stroke it to a 383 with aluminum heads and a 10.5-11:1 CR and matching cam would do ya right Smile

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
I think that would definately do it, but I am wondering what I can get out of the stock block and small mods to the heads. if i had the budget i would do it for sure. I have been reading alot about the marine intake and really like that mod, got it on my list of future upgrades Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
barnhibd wrote:
I think that would definately do it, but I am wondering what I can get out of the stock block and small mods to the heads. if i had the budget i would do it for sure. I have been reading alot about the marine intake and really like that mod, got it on my list of future upgrades Very Happy


check out the specs hp/tq on the zz4 350 crate engine by gm.... putting in that zz4 cam(about 50-125 bux on ebay) in your L31 would be pretty close to that motor setup.
edit.... meaning pretty close the CR is different and different heads but a kinda close comparison...... boosting your CR would help a lot but the best bang for the buck is a good tune with the 0411 ecm and a zz4 cam in my opinion

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Tough to get 400 crank hp from 350 cubes in this engine while retaining the stock induction.

A dyno proven 305 rwhp recipe is:
LT4 Hotcam 218/228
home ported L31 heads
LT headers
2 1/2" exhaust
PCM tune
stock intake and injection

If you take the above recipe and add it to a 383, a dyno proven 330rwhp/381 lb/ft torque can be had. Using 20% drivetrain loss(which I beleive to be inaccurate) that would be around 390-400hp.

I believe the ZZ4 cam to be a tad small for 400hp, but is a great daily driver cam.

To have the ability for higher lift without the retainers and valve seals smashing together, use Comp 787-16 retainers that allow 26915/26918, 02-04 LS6 Vette springs or the PAC Beehive springs that will accept over 0.530" and maybe more as demonstrated on this forum.
This pic shows the dyno chart of a stock L31 longblock with teh LT4 hotcam, Ramjet intake 311hp/334ft-lb torque at the rear wheles.



Pic of the combo that was dynoed in an S10.

So that Ramjet intake will help power over the L31 intake, the CNP is worth a couple hp as well. These heads were stock IIRC, so the intake differemce is even more than initially suspected. I do know that the hotcam/383/home ported 330rwhp was a Fastchip mailorder tune, and the 311rwhp/Ramjet intake L31350 was a chassis dyno tune, so that will affect a difference as well.

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Do you have to use 1.6 rockers with the LT4 hot cam to get the extra lift? I really like the looks of that ramjet L31 and the coil on plug ignition, if i had the funds i would love to do a setup like that. Do the L31 engines use roller lifters from the factory. thanks for all the input guys

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Do you have to use 1.6 rockers with the LT4 hot cam to get the extra lift? I really like the looks of that ramjet L31 and the coil on plug ignition, if i had the funds i would love to do a setup like that. Do the L31 engines use roller lifters from the factory. thanks for all the input guys

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
sorry about the double post had some network problems

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Yes you have to use the roller rocker that are part of the hotcam kit to get the full 0.525" lift, if you dont, you end up with 0.492" lift. Not a huge deal, I have used that hotcam kit in a 355 L31/TPI in an 85 IROC-z. I pinned the studs.

Yes, all 1996+ L31's use roller lifters.

The CNP is nice from a maintenance perspective, but isnt a necessity for power.

I am swapping L35 4.3's in a 1999 4x4 Envoy as we speak, its a bitch as is, I cant imagine working on an L31 in there.

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Hog wrote:

I am swapping L35 4.3's in a 1999 4x4 Envoy as we speak, its a bitch as is, I cant imagine working on an L31 in there.

peace
Hog


LS motors in an s10 are worse yet. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Sweet. Turbo S10 kit. And, they have STS turbo kits, spilling the most important information of which specific turbo comes in the kit.

http://www.turbo-trucks.com/ss_turbo_kits.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply with quote
Post  
Im thinking the lt4 hotcam will be the best for my applacation at this time. those turbo kits would be awesome!

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
im trying to get me a list of everything I need to make this work. do I need the lighter comp spring or the heaver one. putting a 350 into an s10 that had a 4.3 in it isnt really that bad

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
barnhibd wrote:
im trying to get me a list of everything I need to make this work. do I need the lighter comp spring or the heaver one. putting a 350 into an s10 that had a 4.3 in it isnt really that bad

Either spring would work.

I just did an engine swap in a 4.3 4wd Envoy and it wasnt the most enjoyable thing Ive done. 1999 4.3 for 2001 4.3. Had to drill and tap the 2001 dual wire knock sensor hole as it was too small for the 1999 single wire knock sensor.

The DCLF 4.3 torque converter works nice behind my Vortec 350, brake stalls to about 2800rpm. Same converter internals that the Vett TC's used.

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
I have had the this same motor in my '87 S10 blazer for almost 9yrs, thing runs great and has a fun amount of torque. It does need some mid-top end power help. 9yrs ago when I transplanted the motor in my blazer it was fun and could give alot of V8s a run......now with the new motors it gives V6s a run Crying or Very sad , but still fun to keep up with newer camaros and mustangs until about 70mph

I dynoed mine at 210hp 276tq to the wheels with just a Superchips 93 tune, conversion shorty headers, MSD box and wires, and an Injen cold ram intake for a 98+ 4.3 S10

Since then I have added the Comp 787-16 retainers and 26918 02-04 LS6 Vette springs, with 1.6 full roller rockers. The roller rockers gave me 2 tenths of a second and 2mph off my 1/4 mile, I was told that was good for about 20-25hp to the wheels in just the ET difference. Next mod is the LT4 Hotcam.

I have also done a 0411pcm, no dyno tune, but have had a small tweek on it, getting a dyno tune once I swap in my built rear axle.

Nice build!

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
VortecBlazer wrote:
I have had the this same motor in my '87 S10 blazer for almost 9yrs, thing runs great and has a fun amount of torque. It does need some mid-top end power help. 9yrs ago when I transplanted the motor in my blazer it was fun and could give alot of V8s a run......now with the new motors it gives V6s a run Crying or Very sad , but still fun to keep up with newer camaros and mustangs until about 70mph

I dynoed mine at 210hp 276tq to the wheels with just a Superchips 93 tune, conversion shorty headers, MSD box and wires, and an Injen cold ram intake for a 98+ 4.3 S10

Since then I have added the Comp 787-16 retainers and 26918 02-04 LS6 Vette springs, with 1.6 full roller rockers. The roller rockers gave me 2 tenths of a second and 2mph off my 1/4 mile, I was told that was good for about 20-25hp to the wheels in just the ET difference. Next mod is the LT4 Hotcam.

I have also done a 0411pcm, no dyno tune, but have had a small tweek on it, getting a dyno tune once I swap in my built rear axle.

Nice build!

Sounds like a cool setup, just a clarification, the 26918 Beehive springs are made by Comp Cams, the 2002-2004 Vette LS6 springs are are OEM GM.

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
VortecBlazer wrote:
I have had the this same motor in my '87 S10 blazer for almost 9yrs, thing runs great and has a fun amount of torque. It does need some mid-top end power help. 9yrs ago when I transplanted the motor in my blazer it was fun and could give alot of V8s a run......now with the new motors it gives V6s a run Crying or Very sad , but still fun to keep up with newer camaros and mustangs until about 70mph

I dynoed mine at 210hp 276tq to the wheels with just a Superchips 93 tune, conversion shorty headers, MSD box and wires, and an Injen cold ram intake for a 98+ 4.3 S10

Since then I have added the Comp 787-16 retainers and 26918 02-04 LS6 Vette springs, with 1.6 full roller rockers. The roller rockers gave me 2 tenths of a second and 2mph off my 1/4 mile, I was told that was good for about 20-25hp to the wheels in just the ET difference. Next mod is the LT4 Hotcam.

I have also done a 0411pcm, no dyno tune, but have had a small tweek on it, getting a dyno tune once I swap in my built rear axle.

Nice build!

Sounds like a cool setup, just a clarification, the 26918 Beehive springs are made by Comp Cams, the 2002-2004 Vette LS6 springs are are OEM GM. Either spring can be used on any 1997-20007 GEN 3 V8 engine.

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Forgot to add I just had my transmission built by Transbuilder guy on FSC. Put a 4.3 tq converter in and did some other mods......trans made my blazer snap sideways going into 2nd.......it's fun all over again

Pauly, I talked to you about my set up a couple years back on FSC. Thanks for giving me the info on the springs and retainers few years back

View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum