RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
spider injector issues, need help asap.
Post spider injector issues, need help asap. 
I had a pretty bad weekend. To make a long story short. My truck has had an oil leak for some time which turned into a coolant leak which turned into a intake manifold gasket which turned into bad poppets which turned into one bad valve cover gasket and a bad oil filler tube gasket.
First install went well accept the coolant leak is still there. But now I seem to have a vaccume leak coming from the fuel meter body, the part that goes through the upper plenum. It seems that the body is not seating into the upper plenum. One thing I did not do was pay atention to the directions on which way to install the new injectors. I screwed up and payed for it. Today I took it all apart and did it right, no biggie. Well, after I got everything buttoned up from install numbver two, the same noise. This time it was from the upper plenum gasket was not seated into the upper plenum and decided to pop out when I installed it. Tightened it without nowing and vwalla, new leak. BUT, I did remember to put oil on the gasket for the fuel metering body, slid on pretty easy. Now, off to the parts store for a new upper plenum gasket. Installed everything pretty quickly, but ooph forgot to put oil on the o-ring for the fuel metering body. Crap. I tried to pull it up with two sets of pliers and it pulled it up pretty far but, it still is leaking.

I shook the fuel meter body while it was running and it is definately coming from that location.

Is my only option to disassemble and do it again or is there a way to drop some oil into the top of the fuel meter body to get that o-ring slick?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

If I knew it was going to be this much of a pain I wouldve just bought a marine manifold. In fact, I'm pondering that as we speak.

I think the best thing to do would be: Remove upper intake, Inspect and lube the "O"Ring, Reinstall the upper intake while wiggling on the injector body and seating it into the upper intake.

Thanks Lex, thats my plan. Need this rain to go away, hah. I got it down to a science. Takes me roughly 3 hours from start to finish.

Random question = When I was shopping for the spider assembly, one store had it but it had a new bracket with it. The one I bought did not come with a new bracket.
Could it be that the new one is shorter than the factory assembly?
Has anyone had this issue?
I'm wondering if I should shim it up with a washer. Has anyone done this? Cant say I want to do this, just curious.

Every bracket iv ever seen is the same on old poppet style and new injector style

Well guys, I tried doing that. Wiggling it while installing the upper plenum and still no luck. After inspecting it and lubricating it (I even put a thin coat of oil inside the upper plenum to make it easier), it still did not work. It still leaks. I'm seriously thinking about putting a shim under that bracket to hold the fuel meter housing up high enough to seat into the upper plenum.
On top of that, its leaking water like Niagra Falls out the back somewhere.

Off for round 5. Pretty pissed off. Looks like I might have to pull the lower off to to figure out where that leak is coming from.

On top of that, its leaking water like Niagra Falls out the back somewhere.

if its leaking water then you either have a bad intake gasket or the heater hose connector/fitting leaking. or a heater hose leaking......
really wouldnt be a bad idea to buy the rubber coated aluminum intake gaskets and replace the stockers anyway
they will leak if they are the plastic POS ones. and also if you have the whole intake off then you can put it ona bench and fix the vacuum leak around the center main plug for the fuel injectors.

Round 5 sucked. BUT, I did get some very much needed information. The new assembly is shorter than the factory and it DOES need a new bracket. How do I know, you ask, hah. Well, seeing that I'm suicidal at this point I needed to take a break and relax. I pulled the old assembly out of the trash and pulled the new one out of my truck and put them side by side as well as take some dimensions. Yes, the new one is shorter. 1/16th shorter. I know 1/16th doesnt sound like much but, it is. I called the store I bought it from and explained the situation, they hooked my up with the distributors number. After explaining again to him, the answer I got is "yes sir it will not work with the factory bracket" "you need a new bracket for it to work.
To put it bluntly, I'm pissed.

Hey stroker, thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. The new gaskets are FelPro, just like you described. What I think it is is where the center of the manifold sits on the block. At least thats what I'm hoping for. I can see some residue on the back of the block up by the manifold. I'm going to pop it off and redo everything tonight. In for another long day and night.

Interesting that the brackets are different I did a set of the upgrades last week and they never came with a bracket put it together and one of the injectors was bad. pulled it back apart parts store sent another one this time it came with a bracket so I changed it to and all was well. but I never had a problem with a leak with the old bracket and new spider. Yeah the perma dry plus gaskets are great Iv even re used them without problems.

Interesting that the brackets are different I did a set of the upgrades last week and they never came with a bracket put it together and one of the injectors was bad. pulled it back apart parts store sent another one this time it came with a bracket so I changed it to and all was well. but I never had a problem with a leak with the old bracket and new spider. Yeah the perma dry plus gaskets are great Iv even re used them without problems.

What brand of injector were you installing? Have had this same thing happen with Borg-Warner, but not with Delco or Delphi. Just curious.

I have just about had it. The time I have invested in this install is going to end up costing me my job.
It is still leaking even after using the new bracket AND using a small shim. I am at a loss of words.
I believe the part is deffective. I am at my whits end and am ready to go by an ACDelco one down at Advanced. This Standard crap is junk.

Whipped383 wrote:

What brand of injector were you installing? Have had this same thing happen with Borg-Warner, but not with Delco or Delphi. Just curious.

These ones in paticular where GP Sorenson But im almost positive they are the delcos shoved in someone elses bix

The one I bought was a Standard but it was delphi parts.

Here is the procedure for the CSFI to MPFI conversion along with a bunch of CSFI poppet unstick info.

http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyoutoo/Sticking%20Poppet.htm

peace
Hog

Thanks for the link Hog, I appreciate it. I got the removal/install down pat after doing 6 times, hah.
Thankfully I didnt have any issues with any poppets being stuck.

I cant beleive how rough the lower intake manifold casting is, pretty rough. Has anyone gasket matched and polished the inside of the lower manifold? Looks like it would be a cool little project, especially since I have to go back in there and its going to be apart.
Also, just curious. Is that VMax spacer worth it? I have read mixed signals about.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Whats the point of porting it you cant get the fuel you need with that manifold to make it benificial. Now if it was a TBIā„¢ intake you could help it

you dont want a polished intake, it hurts fuel atomization and causes fuel puddling...

How about porting and gasket matching? I know its still the same old restrictive intake but at least it would be cleaned up some and probably will flow a little better.

Another question. The stock spider assembly was rated at 19lbs, correct?
What are the aftermarket ones rated at?

Thanks

They are rated the same thats why no computer re flash is neseccary when doing the swap. Iv often wondered if the flow characteristics are any different tho

The stock spiders and the MPFI spiders are rated at 23.1 lb/hr at 4 BAR.

peace
Hog

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next