RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
EVO Steering Bypass Kit From GM
So I had a customer bring in a 97 k1500 that had already had the EVO bypassed. He complained of a loose frontend yet everything was tight. We talked for a while and I suggested replacing the steering gear and suggested using one from a 95 given my own experience with EVO nightmares. Long story short the old style gear box is the answer. Steering takes a little more effort but feels exactly as it should and driver input is much less responsive the way it should be.

I will soon be doing this on my own truck I'll keep you posted

Hello everyone, new to this group and the situation at hand.
I just recently bought a 98 Chevy K1500.
I have the same steering issues. So I was told to replace some items, heres what I replaced;
Idler arm and bracket
Steering gear box(appropriate for year and make)Replaced about a week ago!
Replaced EVO sensor on steering column under dash
My steering was real loose with about 2-3inches of play in gearbox, which is why I replaced the gearbox. Replacing gearbox did take away all the slack. But still have stiffening or resistence when making turns, and slight over steering when out on open highway.

So with that said, I have been searching hi and lo all over multiple forums, with no one replying with an actual fix. Many people state they used the EVO actuator replacment kit(on the PWS pump). But have not heard anyone say if that was the fix?
So what I am looking for is what is the correct fix? Do I replace gearbox and pump from a 96 truck? Will that work, do the parts from 96 fit in 98? Would I also need to replace the pressure line?
thanks

So I had a customer bring in a 97 k1500 that had already had the EVO bypassed. He complained of a loose frontend yet everything was tight. We talked for a while and I suggested replacing the steering gear and suggested using one from a 95 given my own experience with EVO nightmares. Long story short the old style gear box is the answer. Steering takes a little more effort but feels exactly as it should and driver input is much less responsive the way it should be.

Update: customer was in last week for some other repairs and expressed how much better the truck was to drive now.

Whipped383 wrote:

Update: customer was in last week for some other repairs and expressed how much better the truck was to drive now.

So he kept original PW Steer pump, using the EVO adapter kit, but used an earlier model of gearbox?
So how many different year gearboxes will work and fit the 98 K1500?
Thanks

Yup the EVO on the pump needs bypassed somehow and an earlier style gear box.

Whipped383 wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:

So he kept original PW Steer pump, using the EVO adapter kit, but used an earlier model of gearbox?
Thanks

Since you already have a new steering gear, you only need the GM EVO Bypass. All the info is in this thread.

peace
Hog

mrekimf wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:

Thanks

Since you already have a new steering gear, you only need the GM EVO Bypass. All the info is in this thread.

peace
Hog

So was there anything wrong with his original gearbox? The 1 I bought is for the 98. What I am trying to figure out is if there is a difference between the 98 and the earlier models? I know about the EVO bypass, its just I've read more posts about the bypass not helping, vs it helping. So I was thinking of changing everything to a 95 or 96 model, to include pump, gearbox, and pressure line? But trying to also find out if there is a difference in the 98(EVO) gear box vs an earlier model such as a 95 or 96. And will the pump and gear box from an earlier model fit the 98, will mounting be the same? Will the pulley be the same size, and pitman arm be the same?
thanks

Using a gearbox from a 97+ EVO equipped truck will still result in loose steering no matter if EVO is bypassed or not. Yes the earlier gear boxes bolt right in, mounting is the same, splines are the same, fittings are the same.

Now as far as bypassing the EVO at the pump its as simple as un plugging the connector on the back of the pump. If you want a cleaner look you can buy the GM EVO delete kit. Or you can just replace the pressure fitting on the pump from an earlier truck along with the hose. The pump is the same weather it's EVO or non EVO the only difference is the pressure fitting

Using a gearbox from a 97+ EVO equipped truck will still result in loose steering no matter if EVO is bypassed or not. Yes the earlier gear boxes bolt right in, mounting is the same, splines are the same, fittings are the same.

Now as far as bypassing the EVO at the pump its as simple as un plugging the connector on the back of the pump. If you want a cleaner look you can buy the GM EVO delete kit. Or you can just replace the pressure fitting on the pump from an earlier truck along with the hose. The pump is the same weather it's EVO or non EVO the only difference is the pressure fitting

So to get the best steering, it is best to replace the pump, gearbox and pressure line, with a pre 97?

No need to replace the pump. Read the thread there's alot of good info

No need to replace the pump. Read the thread there's alot of good info

Ok, thanks bud.

No, if his original 97+ EVO steering gear was mechanically worn and resulted in wandering and bad steering input WITHOUT MOVING THE STEERING WHEEL, then the new 97+ replacement will tighten up the steering response IE take the SLOP out.

If the steering gear is fine, like it would be in this case,(as it is brand new) doing the GM bypass kit will result in tighter steering assist than a wonky EVO system will. It does not result in straight and just off straight over power assist.

It sounds as though even with a new EVO sensor in the column, the EVO system with his new 97+ steering gear, is still over assisting. An EVO Bypass kit WILL solve this, as it simply installs a non-EVO orifice into the system, akin to using the 96 and older steering system.
This is the whole reason why GM dumped this and played it safe designed the bypass kit, instead of offering a proper fix for the EVO system.
Simply unplugging the sensor will result in 100% max steering assist, which will make it worse, it its working at all. No reason for this guy to go in again and replace his steering gear again.

The GM bypass is far from as loose as a malfunctioning EVO system, of course every truck will be slightly different, depending upon parts/components installed.. The kits a super cheap as well.

I agree with everything else.

peace
Hog

Whipped383 wrote:

So to get the best steering, it is best to replace the pump, gearbox and pressure line, with a pre 97?

Depends what your definition of the "best steering is". Did you like the power steering in late 70's Dodge product, or do you like the steering assist of a 1995 Corvette?
My Grannies Aspen seemed like it would turn the wheels by breathing on the steering wheel. The steering on the Vette is at the other end of the spectrum.

There are some good discussions of steering assist preferences in the thread.

peace
Hog

Whipped383 wrote:

No, if his original 97+ EVO steering gear was mechanically worn and resulted in wandering and bad steering input WITHOUT MOVING THE STEERING WHEEL, then the new 97+ replacement will tighten up the steering response IE take the SLOP out.

If the steering gear is fine, like it would be in this case,(as it is brand new) doing the GM bypass kit will result in tighter steering assist than a wonky EVO system will. It does not result in straight and just off straight over power assist.

It sounds as though even with a new EVO sensor in the column, the EVO system with his new 97+ steering gear, is still over assisting. An EVO Bypass kit WILL solve this, as it simply installs a non-EVO orifice into the system, akin to using the 96 and older steering system.
This is the whole reason why GM dumped this and played it safe designed the bypass kit, instead of offering a proper fix for the EVO system.
Simply unplugging the sensor will result in 100% max steering assist, which will make it worse, it its working at all. No reason for this guy to go in again and replace his steering gear again.

The GM bypass is far from as loose as a malfunctioning EVO system, of course every truck will be slightly different, depending upon parts/components installed.. The kits a super cheap as well.

peace
Hog

I replaced the gearbox because I had a lot of play. After replacing the gearbox with a 98yr model, I still had the feeling like the wind was pushing me across HWY. So I then replaced the EVO sensor on the column under the dash, that did make it feel alot harder to steer or stiff. So I unplugged the sensor on the column, which did make it easier to steer, but still have the wind blowing effect, and slightly harder to steer when turning left. I am also thinking maybe i need a alignment? I think I will get the EVO adapter for the pump and go from there.

Whipped383 wrote:

peace
Hog

Speaking from experience on my personal truck I bypassed my EVO with a pump pressure relief valve and fitting from a 95 truck rather than buying the GM kit. It made no difference in steering feel. I have replaced 2 boxes with the 97 style box and its always been over assisted feeling.

Every EVO equipped truck I have driven has had the over assisted feel. I have had numerous complaints from customers with EVO equipped vehicles that they feel "darty" or over assisted. Never had this issue with pre EVO trucks. It was discussed earlier in this thread that the 96 and earlier boxes where different. That is where my recommendation comes from and it has worked with no issues.

Hog wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:

peace
Hog

I replaced the gearbox because I had a lot of play. After replacing the gearbox with a 98yr model, I still had the feeling like the wind was pushing me across HWY. So I then replaced the EVO sensor on the column under the dash, that did make it feel alot harder to steer or stiff. So I unplugged the sensor on the column, which did make it easier to steer, but still have the wind blowing effect, and slightly harder to steer when turning left. I am also thinking maybe i need a alignment? I think I will get the EVO adapter for the pump and go from there.

Unplugging the connector will allow 100% assist, which will give you a "darty" "overassisted" feel too it, esp. if in a long gentle curve where all of a sudden the course of the truck will change and "dart" in a different direction. I don't recall if your truck was a 2wd C or 4wd K model, but I had an excellent low mileage 98 K1500 bone stock and well cared for. I had a C1500 2wd at the same time with more miles but was a Southern truck and in good shape as well. Both trucks were extended cab, short box trucks, 3.73's in the 4wd and 3.42's in the 2wd. I couldn't believe just how different the 4wd truck drove, the suspension felt loose and vague. I sold the 4wd. Mabe it was the extra weight of the torsion bar front suspension, but I'll never own another such truck. Maybe this is what you are experiencing?

Whats an EVO adapter?

I'd probably rotate the tires and get an alignment check and go from there.

peace
Hog

Hog wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:

peace
Hog

Speaking from experience on my personal truck I bypassed my EVO with a pump pressure relief valve and fitting from a 95 truck rather than buying the GM kit. It made no difference in steering feel. I have replaced 2 boxes with the 97 style box and its always been over assisted feeling.

Every EVO equipped truck I have driven has had the over assisted feel. I have had numerous complaints from customers with EVO equipped vehicles that they feel "darty" or over assisted. Never had this issue with pre EVO trucks. It was discussed earlier in this thread that the 96 and earlier boxes where different. That is where my recommendation comes from and it has worked with no issues.

I finally got around to finding the part of the thread that you are referring to. You are correct there is a difference between the EVO and non EVO steering gears physically, and this difference results in a difference in steering feel when new, but after use negates itself apparently.(as JRCK had installed used non-EVO parts which explained his lack of noticing the difference between the EVO and non EVO steering gear)

I'm not sure that using 95 parts to bypass can be directly compared to the GM kit, or can it?

If someone has to replace all their EVO steering parts to non EVO parts, the method which you describe will work 100% to give you a reduced (stiffer) steering assist feel and would have worked very well for Mrekimpf if he had visited us here before he changed his original steering gear.

Sorry for the long delay in getting you the proper response you deserved.

peace
Hog

The only difference I could maybe see is the GM kit has a new pressure relief valve and it is shimmed differently for lower pressure. It was my understanding the GM kit came with an old style pressure relief valve and fitting and a short line. I had assumed it was basically the same as using a 95 style valve and fitting

The only difference I could maybe see is the GM kit has a new pressure relief valve and it is shimmed differently for lower pressure. It was my understanding the GM kit came with an old style pressure relief valve and fitting and a short line. I had assumed it was basically the same as using a 95 style valve and fitting

I do remember that the Bypass Kit had this fitting that screwed into the back of the P/S pump. This fitting appeared to be a simply device with a simple hole in it. I never did take note of the dimension of the hole though.

peace
Hog

Reply to topic Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next