RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
last of the 454's
Post last of the 454's 
i have heard that gm no longer makes a big block, so i was wondering when the last performance big block was in production and what was it in. i know the vortec was around in the trucks between 1996-1999 i belive. anyway i was just wondering. thanks

I think the 454 was built in 2000 as well (mine is from a 2000 k3500 truck)

Well they still make the 496 (8.1L) even though it is VERY different from the classic big block.

You can still get 454s, 502's, 572's and GEN 7 496(8.1's) from GMPP and also from GM Marine.

The last production "performance" that was available in a vehicle must be from the late 60's early 70's Vette's Camaro Chevelles etc.

peace
Hog

Well they still make the 496 (8.1L) even though it is VERY different from the classic big block.

Not anymore, they were phased out recently, for the trucks anyway...not sure about the marine market.

L31Sleeper wrote:

Not anymore, they were phased out recently, for the trucks anyway...not sure about the marine market.

This is corrcet, they dont make the 8.1's anymore, for any trucks or the marine market. The supercharged LSA 6.2 with 540hp has taken the BB's place.

peace
Hog

Neil1500HD wrote:
L31Sleeper wrote:

This is corrcet, they dont make the 8.1's anymore, for any trucks or the marine market. The supercharged LSA 6.2 with 540hp has taken the BB's place.

peace
Hog

Isn't the LSA an aluminum block? I don't know how well that would work in a marine application if it is intended to replace the big block in that field as well. I have to imagine that the supercharger would tack on a bit of coin to the whole thing too.

I guess it will be in the marine applications. After a little searching I came up with this:

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/2010_6200_LSA_Marine.pdf

I have always thought of my Yukon XL as a boat.

Here is the entire 2011 GM Marine lineup. Click on each pic for a full writeup.

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/marine_engines.jsp
3.0 I-4,
4.3 Vortec 4.3,
Vortec 5.0(253hp/302lb/ft),
Vortec 5.7(292hp/370lb/ft),
6.0(385hp/400 lb/ft),
6.2 LS3(418hp/424lb/ft),
6.2 LSA S/C (530hp/545lb/ft)

peace
Hog

Mercruiser is building their own 8.2L engine to replace the no longer available 8.1L-496. While the new designed 502/8.2L engine is using a 502 block the internals are very beefed up using a forged crank, good rods and edelbrock heads. The motor is very different than the "old" 502 gm made for mercruiser which that motor used A LOT of oil. The new 502 is designed with tighter tolerances and pistons/rings similar to the 496 to control oil consumption.

L31Sleeper wrote:

They are still used in the 4500 through 8500

I see no mention of the 8.1 for use in the Commercial chassis/cab and box delete trucks from GM. Just the 6.0L Vortec 322 hp@ 4,400 rpm and 380 lb.-ft torque @ 4,200 rpm/6l90e combo, and the new 6.6L Duramax(LGH) 335hp@3,100 rpm and 685lb/ft torque @1,600 rpm/Alliscon 1000 combo.

The 2500HD/3500HD trucks get the LML code 6.6 Duramx that is rated at 397hp and 765 lb/ft torque and Allison combo.

peace
Hog

Vortec Engines - Vortec 8.1L MD Gasoline V8

* Fuel System: Sequential Port Fuel Injection
* Returnless fuel system
* Fuel injection electronically controlled by onboard computer system
* Cooling: 30.1 qt. (28.5 L) capacity, 195 degrees F (90 degrees C) thermostat, 15 lbs. (6.8 kg) pressure cap and all-season coolant protected to -34 degrees F (-36 degrees C). Coolant expansion/recovery bottle incorporated in closed cooling system. Constant tension spring clamps on large radiator/heater hoses
* DEX-COOL: Long Life Coolant
* Magnetic drain plug
* Fan: 22" (55.9 cm) 7 or 9-blade nylon, viscous drive
* Fuel filter: In-line replaceable element type
* Oil filter: Full-flow .5 qt. (.47L) spin-on type
* Oil sump: capacity 10 qt. (9.5L)
* Oil Level Sensor: Warning sensor for low oil levels
* Starter: Delco Remy, PG-260L, 5 Roll over-running clutch
* Ignition: High Energy Ignition with Electronic Spark Control
* Single Exhaust: driver side stainless steel exhaust with catalytic converter mounted behind muffler
* lnconel exhaust valves are standard - no further change required for alternate fuel capability
* Oil life monitoring system

LRW 325 hp (239 kw) @ 4000 rpm and 450 lb-ft torque (610 N-m) @ 2800 rpm. - Maximum engine speed 5000 rpm

I see no mention of the 8.1 for use in the Commercial chassis/cab and box delete trucks from GM. Just the 6.0L Vortec 322 hp@ 4,400 rpm and 380 lb.-ft torque @ 4,200 rpm/6l90e combo, and the new 6.6L Duramax(LGH) 335hp@3,100 rpm and 685lb/ft torque @1,600 rpm/Alliscon 1000 combo.

The 2500HD/3500HD trucks get the LML code 6.6 Duramx that is rated at 397hp and 765 lb/ft torque and Allison combo.

peace
Hog

You are correct Pauly, that 496 is now just a memory Sad

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/mediumduty/proddesc.jsp?year=2009&brandID=1&line=205&modelID=1463&package=1583&series=1

OK guys it's code is LRW

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/mediumduty/proddesc.jsp?year=2009&brandID=1&line=205&modelID=1463&package=1583&series=1

For 2009, yess, but not anymore.

peace
Hog

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1