RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
2WD vs 4WD rear end differences
Post 2WD vs 4WD rear end differences 
I want to say I've read the 4WD rear ends are wider than 2WD. Can someone clarify for me?

Yes, they are wider... at least the 1/2 ton 8.5" ring gear 10-bolts are.

I know the 9.5" 14 bolt Semi Floaters are also narrower on the 2wd...3" if I recall correctly.

That said, the 10.5" 14 bolt Full Floater's are supposedly the same size on both models.

I know the 9.5" 14 bolt Semi Floaters are also narrower on the 2wd...3" if I recall correctly.

That said, the 10.5" 14 bolt Full Floater's are supposedly the same size on both models.

Is there anyone with a 14 bolt that is willing to take a lug to lug measurement?

blackpearl wrote:

Is there anyone with a 14 bolt that is willing to take a lug to lug measurement?

Full floater? I have one out of a 1997 2wd that i can take measurements for, if someone can find one out of a 4x4.

actually, i just realized I could take a measurement of a 4x4 10 bolt, 2wd 14 bolt FF, and a 4x4 14 bolt SF Laughing They're all sitting at home.

The only one you're missing is the 2WD 10 bolt. Very Happy
I assume the 2wd 14 bolt FF and SF are the same width.

The only one you're missing is the 2WD 10 bolt. Very Happy
I assume the 14 bolt FF and SF are the same width.

I'm going to assume that too, only because I've been told the 14 bolt FF is the same width in 2wd and 4wd models...and since the SF is 4wd, they SHOULD measure out to be the same.

i have still been researching alot about the difference in sizes and still havn't found anything(trustworthy)...

i have still been researching alot about the difference in sizes and still havn't found anything(trustworthy)...

Which one do you want me to measure? I'd be more than happy to help you out Smile

RStahoe99 wrote:

Which one do you want me to measure? I'd be more than happy to help you out Smile

That would be great man, thanks. Just which ever is easiest, I think the priority is the 6 lug 14bolt SF. But if you have access to other post em up when u get a chance.

Everything I've read says the 4wd rear ends are around 3" wider than the 2wd rears.

blackpearl wrote:
RStahoe99 wrote:

That would be great man, thanks. Just which ever is easiest, I think the priority is the 6 lug 14bolt SF. But if you have access to other post em up when u get a chance.

Alright the 6 lug 14b SF is under the truck...if it stops snowing tomorrow i'll pull the wheels off and measure...

The FF is sitting under the car port, so i can measure that one tomorrow for sure...That one is a 2wd, but i've been told they measure out the same as 4x4...i guess i should check, since it is in fact going under a 4x4 Laughing I'll measure the 4x4 10 bolt too, just so we can get some numbers.

I've understood it to be 1/2" on both side's.
I have both a 2wd and 4wd yukon outside,when it isn't snowing and freezing i'll try to get out there with a tape measure.

Everything I've read says the 4wd rear ends are around 3" wider than the 2wd rears.

This is correct on everything but the full floater from what I understand.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7902803&postcount=4

Quote:
All SRW [single rear wheel] trucks were 67"

Try to find a '72 through '88 Single rear wheel so you dont have to machine the hub surface to put a rotor on.

Use 79 model chevrolet K2500 calipers and rotors, and get a 14 bolt disc bracket kit from one of the vendors. total is about $150 depending on the brand of parts you buy

I believe no difference between 3/4 ton or 1 ton, 2wd or 4wd.

only the newer 11.5" 14 bolts (the ones in the newer duramax trucks) have disc brakes, but it is very cheap and easy to convert to discs on a 10.5

Also stay away from ones with a gov-loc carrier, get open so you can put a detroit in it.

all 9.5s are semi float, stay away.

To tell the difference between gov lock versus open, look at the "holes" in between the 2 piece carrier. The gov lock carrier only has 3-cross pin holes and the open has 4

Post pirate4x4 14 bolt bible 
Good info here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

I'll measure my 14bolt 4x4 SF tomorrow morning. It's sitting on a stand in the shed.

Post 14bolt 9.5" 4x4 semi floating 

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1