RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
E-Tec 200 Vs Fast Burn
Post E-Tec 200 Vs Fast Burn 
Now that I've settled my intake dilemma. Going with the ramjet.
It's time to pick the heads. Let me know what you guys think.
I'm guessing that there aren't very many people that have or have had both.
Having said that I'm guessing this thread might be mostly speculation but I am just looking
for advice.

E-Tec 200 $1220 pair

Fast Burn $1260 pair

Hit me up
-Justin

GMPP Bowtie Largeport Vortec 217cc intake port iron heads.

Bare $656
http://www.sdparts.com/product/25534371/SBChevroletBareLargePortVortecBowTieCylinderHead.aspx

Assembled $999.90
http://www.sdparts.com/product/25534431/SBChevroletCompleteLargePortVortecBowTieCylinderHead.aspx

But between the 2 aluminum heads I like the 210cc Fastburn. But the ETEC is a good head as well.

Both will work awesome with the Ramjet intake.

peace
Hog

E-Tec 200's flow better, have standard exhaust ports instead of D-shaped, have 64cc chambers instead of 62cc, support more lift, and they're less expensive.
I chose the E-Tecs - they win on all counts.
These heads were the reason the Whipple worked so well on my truck.

I still have the E-Tec 200's sitting around and will sell together with lots of extras if you're interested, but they are used and need a little work.

They are not in perfect condition. A few of the valvestem tips need to be refinished, so it would be best to pull them all and machine the same. At some point the tips in the rockers stopped rolling smoothly and caused the metal on some of the stem tips to gall from the rollers sliding on them. The heads are set up with guideplates for non-self aligning rockers. The rockers I have probably just need new tips - otherwise fine. I do not know if this portion of the rockers can be rebuilt, so I consider them "valueless". The fulcrom bearings are okay. The decks are clean and straight. One chamber must have got a piece of metal into it a long time ago back on the original 350. You can tell it banged around a bit before it left. That has never been a problem and honestly the photos look worse than it is.
I don't know if the rockers can be still used or repaired, so I'll toss those in for free. The pushrods are CompCams hardened 7.150" correct for the combination of these heads and valvetrain. (Pushrods are in perfect shape)

I am looking to get $650 (not incl. shipping) for both Edelbrock E-Tec 200 heads, the Crane Gold #10759 1.6:1 rockers, and the Comp #7939 7.150" hardened pushrods. I will also include a pair of Edelbrock Elite polished cast aluminum rocker covers/gaskets, and ARP 12-point centerbolts.
I know this stuff was over $1800 new, but it's all used and in need of some work. So, $650 for everything.
You'll need some Fel-Pro 1010 gaskets and a set of headbolts to install these. I have two sets of head studs, both used, if you want them but I recommend AGAINST using them - they are a hassle to make seal. (A few got rusty so I bought another complete set.)
Also, there is a water passage on the passenger side of the engine right below the lower water pump bolt you'll need to run a 1/8" NPT pipe tap into and plug. (That's the old pre-Vortec coolant bypass) For some reason non-stock heads open up that water passage again, so you have to plug it.

Here are some photos:
http://bertok.us/pics/ToSell/ETec200Heads/

wow thanx James that's a good deal......let me see if I can scrape up some money.
the valves aren't an issue for me I would most likely replace them and do the valve job
myself (like my old school 350 in the classified section).
I always thought the D shaped ports helped exhaust flow. Those nicks aren't that bad
a thin mill should get them out. I bet I could repair them and still come out a head.

what`s the reason for this valvestem tips wear, is the hardness of this to parts to close or??

The needle bearings in the roller tips flatten out and stop rotating. The entire roller on the tip stops rotating so then you get two metal parts sliding together with a very concentrated force due to the round tip. The extreme pressure and friction causes the material to scour away.
If the rollers tips could be made with better bearings or a lubricated bushing, this wouldn't happen. Unfortunately they can't just put a huge bearing in there because the weight would be counter-producting to valvetrain inertial mass.

I have not seen that wear on my set, same setup Etec 200's & Crane Golds, Do you remeber what your pushrod length was? I have seen a couple valve stems worn from similar setups where the pushrods were not correct length & the rocker was sliding accross the valve tip. In those cases the wear was not in the center but near an edge of the tip.

Boosted

I have not seen that wear on my set, same setup Etec 200's & Crane Golds, Do you remeber what your pushrod length was? I have seen a couple valve stems worn from similar setups where the pushrods were not correct length & the rocker was sliding accross the valve tip. In those cases the wear was not in the center but near an edge of the tip.

Boosted

From the pics he posted where the wear pattern was on the valve stem, the push rods were the correct length for his setup. The 1st pic though the wear was only on one side? dont understand that one... maybe you had some extremely strong springs and a few bad rollers

The springs are supposedly good to 6500 - I figured that would be well enough for boosted 5800. The rockers are 1.6:1. Pushrods were 7.150" long, stock is 7.195" I got the adjustable pushrod and did pattern testing to determine this length and they were spot on dead centered on the valvestem tips with the 7.150" pushrods.
I can feel the rollers don't turn smoothly anymore. I am sure that the needlebearings have failed.

I just saw the pictures, Man that really cut into the stem, The tip is only a hardened roller on the cross shaft no bearing, just a honed finish on the inside of the roller tip rolling on a precison ground shaft. The needle bearing is in the fulcrum or pivot. When I did my motor the pushrod length I got was 7.050, I checked the pattern on the tip as well as checking the cam / valve lift against the cam card & 7.050 made all the numbers match with a centered pattern on the tip. Of course all motors are different & there are several factors that can change the pusrod length somewhat. I am sure James had his setup right for his motor. Possibly a good chance you got a bad rocker to start with & the damage continued.
Just never seen one do that type of damage without it being broken. By the way you can buy these rockers as a single piece, though Summit & Jegs did nont always advertise it.
Still a good deal on some great heads, The Etecs are really well built heads that just wont quit.

Boosted

Well GM gets 430hp with Fast Burn heads and a hot cam. (you might recall the ZZ430)
Edelbrock gets 440hp with the E-Tec 170 and their cam, but their cam is a little bigger.
the hot cam looks like a good SC grind to me.

any ideas let me know
-Justin

I got to think'in..............why am I stuck on the RamJet intake..... if I'm gunna hafta buy a smog
I might as well use the single plane super victor from edelbrock, I already have a L31 throttle body
#1 it's cheaper !! #2 they have affordable fuel rails (cheaper) #3 Y not

is that elbow for the L31 TB? what is the part number of that setup? can you buy the elbow seperate?

is that elbow for the L31 TB? what is the part number of that setup? can you buy the elbow seperate?

Here u go:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=edl-3848&x=25&y=15&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+400065+304736+115

The elbow works with GM and FORD throttle bodies for L31 / LS1 you need a adapter plate that lets the IAC breathe.

EDL-2737

I got to think'in..............why am I stuck on the RamJet intake..... if I'm gunna hafta buy a smog
I might as well use the single plane super victor from edelbrock, I already have a L31 throttle body
#1 it's cheaper !! #2 they have affordable fuel rails (cheaper) #3 Y not

I have the whole edelbrock super victor intake, matching fuel rail and regulator setup less the elbow still new and in the box. I ended up going a different direction so basically I don't need them anymore. Let me know if you end up going this direction.

did you buy he one with the 4bbl throttle body ? Hell yeah I'm interested !!!

Yes, it is set up for the throttle body (exactly like the picture). But, I don't have the throttle body. I was planning on building an adapter plate and mounting my whipple elbow onto it or a adpater for the OEM throttle body.

how much and how much will shipping be ??

gm performance has vortec heads for 499 a pair. i bought a set last month for my street truck project.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1